Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Police Chief

Default New Police Chief

Gourley hired as Oklahoma City Police Chief
    07/08/2019

Oklahoma City Manager Craig Freeman announced the selection of Wade Gourley as the next Police Chief.

Gourley has been an Oklahoma City police officer for 30 years and was most recently one of the Police Department’s four Deputy Chiefs. He succeeds former Police Chief Bill Citty, who concluded a 41-year career when he retired in May after 15 years in the top job.

“We held a thorough and deliberative hiring process, and choosing a Police Chief is undoubtedly one of the most important decisions I’ve had to make as City Manager,” said Freeman. “Chief Gourley fits the mold of what we’re looking for: He’s open, honest, innovative and experienced, and he will lead by example. I’m confident he will lead our Police Department to continue to serve and protect all residents in a fair and equitable manner.”

Gourley will report to Kenton Tsoodle, one of Oklahoma City’s three Assistant City Managers. They report to the City Manager, who is the chief administrative officer of the City’s Council-Manager form of government.

Gourley is Oklahoma City’s 50th Chief of Police. He will oversee the 1,235 uniformed officers and 304 other staff members in the Police Department.

“I am truly honored to be selected as Chief for the greatest police department in the country,” said Gourley. “During my three decades of service, I’ve strived to make our organization better by building community relationships, developing leaders and mentoring other officers. I’m excited to work together to continue progress on the challenges of criminal justice reform, recruiting a diverse staff of outstanding police officers, improving officer wellness and building collaborative relationships across Oklahoma City.”

Deputy Chief Jeff Becker had been serving as interim Police Chief since Citty’s retirement.

About Chief Gourley
    Gourley, 51, has been involved in some of the most notable evolutions in the modern Police Department: de-escalation training, new approaches to problem crime areas, improving the work environment for officers, developing leaders and community outreach.

Gourley started his career as a police officer in Chickasha, then joined the Oklahoma City Police Department in September 1989.

He spent the early part of his career on patrol and as a field training officer, moving around the department as he earned promotions to work in Investigations, Administration, Emergency Services and the Uniform Support Division, and as a crisis negotiator, the Tactical Team commander and the Director of Training. He also developed the Leadership, Ethics and Accountability Development (LEAD) program.

In the City’s annual resident survey, the Police Department and other public safety services are routinely among the highest-rated City services. Those ratings are due in part to the scenario-based training, support for officers and public outreach developed by Gourley, Citty and the rest of the Police Department leadership under the guidance of the City Council.

Gourley has a Bachelor of Arts degree in police administration from the University of Oklahoma. Other significant training includes the Anti-Defamation League Advanced Training School in Extremist and Terrorist Threats, FBI Executive Leadership Institute, Senior Management Institute for Police and the FBI Crisis Negotiations Course. He’s a member of several law enforcement groups and local organizations, including serving as a board member for the American Red Cross of Central & Southwest Oklahoma.

Gourley is a lifelong Oklahoma resident with roots in Ardmore, living in south Oklahoma City for most of his career. Gourley and his wife, Tracy, have been married for 27 years and have two children, Brandon and Alyson.

2. Default Re: New Police Chief

Let's just hope he is less racist, hypocritical and retaliatory than Bill Citty was.

Default Re: New Police Chief

Press release:

Oklahoma City Police Chief Wade Gourley announces retirement
    03/01/2024

Oklahoma City Police Chief Wade Gourley announced his retirement today after 34 years of service. He has agreed to remain employed with the City until his position is filled.

Gourley is Oklahoma City’s 50th Chief of Police and oversees 1,235 uniformed officer positions and 413 non-sworn employees. During his time as the Chief, he led the Police Department through the COVID-19 pandemic and protests following George Floyd’s death.

“I can’t thank Chief Gourley enough for his more than three decades of leadership and service to the residents of Oklahoma City,” City Manager Craig Freeman said. “During his tenure as Chief, he guided the Police Department through a time of significant uncertainty and change. Through it all he has embodied the values of the Oklahoma City Police Department by leading with integrity and a commitment to serve all Oklahoma City residents.”

Gourley joined the Oklahoma City Police Department in 1989. He was named Deputy Chief in 2017 and was promoted to Police Chief in July 2019 by City Manager Craig Freeman.

“Working alongside the dedicated men and women of this Police Department and serving this great community for over 34 years has been an incredible honor,” Gourley said. “After my departure, I know the Police Department will continue to honor our core values by serving this City with integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and equity.”

As the Chief, Gourley led efforts to change the way OKCPD responds to mental health calls, expanded scenario-based training programs for officers, enhanced police’s use of technology, supported transparency through body-worn cameras, implemented the Real Time Information Center, revamped the entire employee Wellness program and expanded crisis intervention training for all officers.

“We will conduct an extensive nationwide search for a new police chief with leadership experience in modern policing and a passion for serving our community,” Freeman said. “I’m confident we will attract highly qualified candidates from inside and outside the organization. Choosing a Police Chief is one of the most important decisions I make as City Manager.”

The City Manager hires the Police Chief, who reports to Assistant City Manager Jason Ferbrache.

The 2023 resident survey shows that 90% of residents who had an interaction with an OKCPD officer felt they were treated fairly. 69% of residents reported being satisfied or very satisfied with police services, 23% higher than other large communities surveyed.

Thread Information