Widgets Magazine

Thread: Opus Prime Steak

Default Opus Prime Steak

Just curious, I've seen some thread's about OKC steakhouses, and Opus is never mentioned with the Ranch, Mahogany, Boulevard, etc. Am I missing something? My wife and I both enjoy Opus, but I must admit, we are not as versed in OKC steakhouses as many on this forum. It may be time for us to venture out a bit.

Default Re: Opus Prime Steak

I have considered going there several times but the online reviews are all over the board. At this price point....I want consistency. I have heard that they have an award winning wine list though but I am not versed in that area.

Bob's Steak & Chop House in the Omni Hotel is pretty darned good...

4. Default Re: Opus Prime Steak

Quote Originally Posted by RYSOONER1 View Post
    Just curious, I've seen some thread's about OKC steakhouses, and Opus is never mentioned with the Ranch, Mahogany, Boulevard, etc. Am I missing something? My wife and I both enjoy Opus, but I must admit, we are not as versed in OKC steakhouses as many on this forum. It may be time for us to venture out a bit.
    I've been to Opus twice... Once by choice and left disappointed in everything but the service.... Second time was with someone else offering to buy so decided to give it a second chance.... Won't be going a 3rd time...... But that's just my personal opinion.... It's been there quite a long time. So it must be filling a niche in what people want from a steak house or it wouldn't have survived this long.

The only thing Opus really has going for it is the wine selection. They legitimately have the best Bordeaux variety selection available for any restaurant in Oklahoma. They have some insane verticals on hand of the big cult Napa houses and if you are really into California red wine it is not a terrible stop. The food is nothing to write home about, the seafood is not as fresh as they advertise. To be fair it is fairly hard to mess up USDA Prime beef, they have a pretty solid grill guy named Daryll that has been with them for 20+ years so the steaks come out how you order and the beef is good. The sides and small plates are fairly uninspired and very much stuck in the 80s with the presentation and flavors presented on the plate. The service is friendly, but in general their knowledge and execution of service does not match the price point that Opus is at.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    The only thing Opus really has going for it is the wine selection. They legitimately have the best Bordeaux variety selection available for any restaurant in Oklahoma. They have some insane verticals on hand of the big cult Napa houses and if you are really into California red wine it is not a terrible stop. The food is nothing to write home about, the seafood is not as fresh as they advertise. To be fair it is fairly hard to mess up USDA Prime beef, they have a pretty solid grill guy named Daryll that has been with them for 20+ years so the steaks come out how you order and the beef is good. The sides and small plates are fairly uninspired and very much stuck in the 80s with the presentation and flavors presented on the plate. The service is friendly, but in general their knowledge and execution of service does not match the price point that Opus is at.
    Thanks for the detailed input. As I said in my original post, time to venture out a bit.

I have a family member who formerly worked there. She thought very highly of the owner and the staff, for that's worth. Not sure it's a ragingly successful business, but from what I understand, the owner is loaded and really enjoys having the restaurant and interacting with the customers. So it would seem to be a great place to go if you are not into being gouged and just want to enjoy a good meal with drinks in a chill atmosphere on Memorial.

I echo the the wine selection. Stathis has put together a great selection of bourdeauxs and cabs that I've been fortunate to sample. The food is nothing to write home about, and would never be my pick if I wanted to go get a steak. That being said, if you live nearby or are in the area, it is not a bad option... especially if you're looking for good wine.

Opus is planning a nice outdoor patio:

Thread Information