Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Historic Preservation in OKC

Default Re: Historic Preservation in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    which is pretty reasonable considering them commencing a study puts a 6 month hold on any action .... in this case the council/staff was in negotition with the property owners and the HP commission did an end run of the council ..
    Without this hold, what's to stop a property owner from demolishing once they find out the study has started?

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Without this hold, what's to stop a property owner from demolishing once they find out the study has started?
    basicly the city council would still have the power to start the study and thus the 6 month window ... and i would rather have elected officials hold this power then an appointed board ..

in this case the council/staff was in negotition with the property owners and the HP commission did an end run of the council ..
    Stonecipher and others were trying to work a deal, not the council. And all the while Stonecipher is also a member of Crossings Church, which is a conflict of interest.

He also authored a resolution without even talking to Cooper, which was relatively unprecedented considering it was in his ward and he was also working with First Christian.

So, some pretty suspect behavior on the part of an elected official, as if that status somehow makes you superior.

basicly the city council would still have the power to start the study and thus the 6 month window ... and i would rather have elected officials hold this power then an appointed board ..
    Man, your answers are incredibly hard to decipher, they're so vague and this one doesn't really answer the question. So if a study is commenced, can the property owner demolish a building? Or do they have to wait 6 months or ........? I don't know the current process works, sorry, or how this new one will, but wondering if either have any teeth - are there any actual, real consequences if a property owner demolishes a building that's under HP status or in the midst of a study or "on hold pending a study" or ....?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Stonecipher and others were trying to work a deal, not the council. And all the while Stonecipher is also a member of Crossings Church, which is a conflict of interest.

He also authored a resolution without even talking to Cooper, which was relatively unprecedented considering it was in his ward and he was also working with First Christian.

So, some pretty suspect behavior on the part of an elected official, as if that status somehow makes you superior.
    i agree about the conflict of interest ...

as for the interference in another ward ... councilmen cooper's predecessor did that all to oftern while on the horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Man, your answers are incredibly hard to decipher, they're so vague and this one doesn't really answer the question. So if a study is commenced, can the property owner demolish a building? Or do they have to wait 6 months or ........? I don't know the current process works, sorry, or how this new one will, but wondering if either have any teeth - are there any actual, real consequences if a property owner demolishes a building that's under HP status or in the midst of a study or "on hold pending a study" or ....?
    if the study is started they can not demo for 6 months .. (if this passes on final vote only the council could start the process )

i have no idea what recourse the city would have if some one demoed with out permission ( i guess the city would have to take the issue to court)

i agree about the conflict of interest ...

as for the interference in another ward ... councilmen cooper's predecessor did that all to oftern while on the horseshoe
    Nope.

I was told this sort of thing had never happened before.

Blog Entries

this actually just puts power to designate a property HP historic in which the owners disagrees only in the hands those that are elected .. .
    Oh good... I was afraid it would be in the hands of knowledgeable advocates of historic preservation. Now we can rely on the unbiased, incorruptible and unconflicted elected more interested in staying in power than advocating for the right thing. Can sleep better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Oh good... I was afraid it would be in the hands of knowledgeable advocates of historic preservation. Now we can rely on the unbiased, incorruptible and unconflicted elected more interested in staying in power than advocating for the right thing. Can sleep better now.
    I don't have anything productive to add, I just wanted to applaud this response.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    took the words out of my mouth

Proposal to limit commissions power

https://oklahoman.com/article/564086...-oklahoma-city

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Proposal to limit commissions power

https://oklahoman.com/article/564086...-oklahoma-city
    they brought this upon themselves

this advaced by a 6-3 vote yesterday

Good thing we're doing this in reaction to a First Christian Church purchase deal that has *checks notes* already fallen apart due to issues that have nothing to do with either the presence or absence of a historic preservation listing.

Update regarding the proposed historic protections:

Greenwell Ordinance

The controversial ordinance proposed by Wards 5 and 8 Councilmen David Greenwell and Mark Stonecipher has been workshopped and refocused repeatedly since it was first introduced months ago.

It has been before the Council and the Planning Commission twice. On its most recent review, the Planning Commission failed to vote to recommend the ordinance and it was returned to Council as “without recommendation.”

Since returning to the Council for review, the ordinance has been rewritten to clarify the language several times.

Last week Mayor Holt, who has some experience in drafting legislation, inserted himself into the process.
    - https://freepressokc.com/its-urban-v...ial-ordinance/

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Good thing we're doing this in reaction to a First Christian Church purchase deal that has *checks notes* already fallen apart due to issues that have nothing to do with either the presence or absence of a historic preservation listing.
    Good point.

This is getting torn down in Fort Smith

https://talkbusiness.net/2022/05/ico...Cw2h8inmNs6nDg

HangryHippo Guest

That’s depressing and a **** decision.

Though not as cool architecturally, a similar type building from the 1960s was knocked down in Broken Arrow a few years ago.

https://bahspulse.com/convent-to-be-demolished/#

Thread Information