Widgets Magazine

Thread: Holt @ Pride Week

Default Holt @ Pride Week

As we watch Mayor David Holt embrace pride week after 2 decades of ignoring/working against them...its worth taking time to think of stuff he's ignoring now, and then will likewise embrace years down the road --, and use to his advantage. Community funded media is one..as are ending sports subsidies.
    I could go on and on.

Default Re: Holt @ Pride Week

Give it a rest, dude. I’m glad he was there showing support. That kind of stuff helps the city immensely and in multiple ways.

3. Default Re: Holt @ Pride Week

There were several elected officials at pride, walking in the parade, open and affirming churches of several denominations not to mention the number of entrants, over 100! Add in a few protestors, and around 100k people. So yeah, give it a rest. Times are changing, this is no longer 1969 at the Stonewall.

Lots of fine people there supporting, and I applaud that. Can't ever stop questioning the things that took so long for this to happen. If Holt is just all the sudden doing this because "things are changing" and we have to go along to preserve the economic status quo (my opinion) then that is not a good thing. There are many examples over the past several decades of people like Holt doing things like this merely so that the big things do not really change.

My question is, and it is worth contemplating, what are the things he is ignoring now? It isn't a stupid killjoy question, I think it is an important one.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    There were several elected officials at pride, walking in the parade, open and affirming churches of several denominations not to mention the number of entrants, over 100! Add in a few protestors, and around 100k people. So yeah, give it a rest. Times are changing, this is no longer 1969 at the Stonewall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    As we watch Mayor David Holt embrace pride week after 2 decades of ignoring/working against them...its worth taking time to think of stuff he's ignoring now, and then will likewise embrace years down the road --, and use to his advantage. Community funded media is one..as are ending sports subsidies.
    I could go on and on.
    We have no doubt that you'll go on and on, that's the sad part!

Lots of fine people there supporting, and I applaud that. Can't ever stop questioning the things that took so long for this to happen. If Holt is just all the sudden doing this because "things are changing" and we have to go along to preserve the economic status quo (my opinion) then that is not a good thing. There are many examples over the past several decades of people like Holt doing things like this merely so that the big things do not really change.

My question is, and it is worth contemplating, what are the things he is ignoring now? It isn't a stupid killjoy question, I think it is an important one.
    The things he is ignoring now? Because he commemorated the occasion Monday evening and walked in a parade for 2 hours on a weekend, everything else has inevitably come to a halt?

I could go on and on.
    So, is this your first time to pay attention to politics? lol

You clearly have an ax to grind. It's like you are pissed they aren't doing something, then when they do it you are pissed about something else. Sounds like you just want to be pissed.

Using Pride for your own purposes like this is not a good way to convince people to support your MAPS politicking.

I could go on and on.
    Please don't go on and on. We have Ian Drake to do that about the weather forecasters in Oklahoma. I ,too like everyone else, am interested in knowing what he is ignoring. Bring facts to the table please, not empty taco wrappers.

i'm not saying we should never question motives, however. I find we often criticize people for not supporting the community and then when they do we want to criticize and question their motives. so in many ways its damned if you do and damned if you don't. being part of the LGBT community I see it far too often. yes some corporate sponsorships are self serving but is that surprising? I am happy to have any support considering in my lifetime I have seen where there was little to none.

Having David Holt actively participating in Pride Week is a testament to the progress our city has made. In the 90s we had a mayor who was banning pride banners on light poles and comparing the message to the ku klux klan. Would you rather have our mayor doing that?

Blog Entries

Didn't get to make it to Pride Week celebrations this year; however hope to get there next year. Last year was my first time to participate; Councilman Dr. Ed Shadid was there last year--told he was a strong supporter; therefore we applaud David Holt for his participation.

We have a mayor in David Holt who takes the city as a 'whole' into account; now we have an openly gay member on the council.

Oklahoma City & Tulsa are becoming more diverse; this is a good sign for our two largest metropolitan communities; one that exhibits diversity & inclusiveness.

13. Default Re: Holt @ Pride Week

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Didn't get to make it to Pride Week celebrations this year; however hope to get there next year. Last year was my first time to participate; Councilman Dr. Ed Shadid was there last year--told he was a strong supporter; therefore we applaud David Holt for his participation.

We have a mayor in David Holt who takes the city as a 'whole' into account; now we have an openly gay member on the council.

Oklahoma City & Tulsa are becoming more diverse; this is a good sign for our two largest metropolitan communities; one that exhibits diversity & inclusiveness.
    + 1.

Just tired of us being last to embrace necessary changes, which we will continue to do if we don't press certain issues that benefit everyone. Trickle down transit will go down as a huge embarrassment and we now have a chance with the next MAPS to be forward thinking... the community funded media thing would have been great, and iS the future, but Holt was too scared... oh well.

Just tired of us being last to embrace necessary changes, which we will continue to do if we don't press certain issues that benefit everyone. Trickle down transit will go down as a huge embarrassment and we now have a chance with the next MAPS to be forward thinking... the community funded media thing would have been great, and iS the future, but Holt was too scared... oh well.
    You do realize the Mayor isn't a dictator, right?

Sure, he can embrace ideas and propel them with his charisma and the momentum of his office, but to say something isn't on the cusp of occurring because "Holt is too scared" reeks of a general lack of knowledge about how the internal mechanics of city politics actually works.

He's a vote on the horseshoe, has certain appointment powers, and is the public face of the city. He can get out there and cheerlead and that has an effect, but he cannot just dictate policy for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    He's a vote on the horseshoe, has certain appointment powers, and is the public face of the city. He can get out there and cheerlead and that has an effect, but he cannot just dictate policy for the city.
    This is true, and it warmed my heart to see at least 4 votes on that horseshoe actually walking in the parade this year, that has got to be a record. Pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    This is true, and it warmed my heart to see at least 4 votes on that horseshoe actually walking in the parade this year, that has got to be a record. Pretty amazing.
    Cooper, Hamon, Nice & Holt?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cooper, Hamon, Nice & Holt?
    Yep! I rode / walked in the parade right next to Nice/Cooper/Hamon and it was lovely to see how warmly the crowd responded to seeing them (not to mention how amazing it was for me as a life long citizen to see an actual real deal US Representative, that represents MY part of the state walking right along side them in Kendra Horn). Really this year's pride was a world of difference from just 5 years ago, let alone 10, 15 years ago. We've made some actual progress in this city. Also, protests were practically non existent, I think this is the first year I've been where I didn't see a single "God Hates F*gs" sign. Pretty Great!

^

It also goes to show the growing divide between the progressives (the 3 you mentioned) and the rest of city council.

Things are going to be much more interesting than in previous years, with all the 8 to 1 votes where Shadid was the lone dissenter.

21. Default Re: Holt @ Pride Week

I think it's more like 5-4, since Stonecipher is quite progressive or at least moderate often agreeing with/ working with Nice. Cooper and Hammon and Holt - there is the five "progressives" IMO.

It's more of an inner city vs. suburb 'divide' that I see since all 4 the aforementioned have all or parts of their wards in the inner city. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think it's more like 5-4, since Stonecipher is quite progressive or at least moderate
    I think you are confused. The complete opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think you are confused. The complete opposite is true.
    I wouldn't say the opposite is true. I think Stonecipher will actually surprise some people in the coming year. I'd look at it more like it is 4-4 with a chance for a swing voter breaking ties, and considering our history ... I'll take that.

Also very much agreed about it being inner city vs suburbs technically in OKC. What I wouldn't give to be able to mark boundaries for like urban / suburban. I mean, if you live at 145th and May, you are choosing to live in the suburbs and shouldn't expect urban things, nor should you be able to stand in the way of urban needs for people that live with a completely different set of realities than yours. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    I wouldn't say the opposite is true. I think Stonecipher will actually surprise some people in the coming year. I'd look at it more like it is 4-4 with a chance for a swing voter breaking ties, and considering our history ... I'll take that.

Also very much agreed about it being inner city vs suburbs technically in OKC. What I wouldn't give to be able to mark boundaries for like urban / suburban. I mean, if you live at 145th and May, you are choosing to live in the suburbs and shouldn't expect urban things, nor should you be able to stand in the way of urban needs for people that live with a completely different set of realities than yours. Just my opinion.
    on a lot of economic development deals it is still going to be 8-1

Thread Information