Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nicholas (6501 N Classen)

Western Ave. The Nicholas (6501 N Classen)

A 40,000 square foot building is proposed for 6501 N Classen.

This is the former site of Knights of Columbus, which sold to Chesapeake in midst of the oil company's buying frenzy. CHK paid $2.8M in 2006 and sold for $1.3M in 2017 to an LLC related to B.D. Eddie, the same company behind Deercrest Marketplace.

CHK also swapped the KOC the former Santa Fe fitness center near 63rd and Broadway.

The property has already been cleared. They had been a large pool and a meeting hall.

Default Re: 6501 N Classen

looks like office and retail??

HangryHippo Guest

I love that. I wish they could get the property just to the south with the frontage on 63rd to go with it.

I know this is off topic, but why does 63rd bow to the north here? Has it always been that way?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I know this is off topic, but why does 63rd bow to the north here? Has it always been that way?
    good question, maybe something to do with the RR a few blocks to the east of the picture?
    Western does the same thing about a mile north (it veers a little to the west).

Other guess would be that 63 around NH wasn't actually originally 63rd st. I believe for a while there was NH and the city of Britton, and then OKC with vast land in between. So when OKC finally moved all the way out to NH and Britton, they had to connect the streets as best as they could so there are a couple of places like this.

My guess is that it was cheaper and faster to build it with the bow originally - the intersection essentially sits at the bottom of a topographic bowl. Building the street linear would have required a lot of dirt moving to make it easy to navigate.

About the curve, the 1969 aerial image http://www.okctalk.com/images/1969/196963western.jpg seems to show what may have previously been a straight portion between Western & Shartel.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    good question, maybe something to do with the RR a few blocks to the east of the picture?
    Western does the same thing about a mile north (it veers a little to the west).

Other guess would be that 63 around NH wasn't actually originally 63rd st. I believe for a while there was NH and the city of Britton, and then OKC with vast land in between. So when OKC finally moved all the way out to NH and Britton, they had to connect the streets as best as they could so there are a couple of places like this.
    Western, as well as other nearby section line roads, veers to the west to accommodate the shift in the Public Land Survey System's grid because of the curvature of Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    Western, as well as other nearby section line roads, veers to the west to accommodate the shift in the Public Land Survey System's grid because of the curvature of Earth.
    I don't see how the curvature of Earth requires that amount of veer in the road though. I thought the N-S roads shifting is mainly due to different parts of town getting pieced together as OKC expanded.

The curve on 63rd isn't related to curvature of the earth. You'll find these corrective westward "sideslips" nearby: North of Wilshire on May & Kelley, and south of Wilshire on Penn & Western.

I don't see how the curvature of Earth requires that amount of veer in the road though. I thought the N-S roads shifting is mainly due to different parts of town getting pieced together as OKC expanded.
    You're probably thinking of the smaller grids within the sections? The adoption of the section line grids predates OKC by nearly 20 years. Wilshire/NE 78th is the correction line. When you go east from Western, you'll notice the curves in the N-S section line roads become more subtle until they line up for a few miles, and then they start to shift again. And when you go west from Western, the offset becomes larger. That's the result of placing square grids on a curved surface.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    The curve on 63rd isn't related to curvature of the earth. You'll find these corrective westward "sideslips" nearby: North of Wilshire on May & Kelley, and south of Wilshire on Penn & Western.
    I wasn't referring to 63rd.

I wasn't referring to 63rd.
    Understood - I was pointing out nearby corrections for those who aren't familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A 40,000 square foot building is proposed for 6501 N Classen.

This is the former site of Knights of Columbus, which sold to Chesapeake in midst of the oil company's buying frenzy. CHK paid $2.8M in 2006 and sold for $1.3M in 2017 to an LLC related to B.D. Eddie, the same company behind Deercrest Marketplace.

CHK also swapped the KOC the former Santa Fe fitness center near 63rd and Broadway.

The property has already been cleared. They had been a large pool and a meeting hall.

Love that Asa is getting some high quality work.

They just filed their building permit application, so looks like this project is going forward.

Would be great to see more developments like this scattered throughout Film Row, AutoAlley and Midtown

BTW, the signs say "Garamond" but that may be just a placeholder (garamond is a popular font).

HangryHippo Guest

I love this proposal and can’t wait to see the finished product.

Seems like an odd time to build a new office building, with Chesapeake not able to rent Building 13 right on 63rd and the likelihood of them leasing out quite a bit more space in the near future.

20. Default Re: 6501 N Classen

Seems like an odd time to build a new office building, with Chesapeake not able to rent Building 13 right on 63rd and the likelihood of them leasing out quite a bit more space in the near future.
    Agreed, especially since we are now in a recession which likely well be worse than the one from 2008.

They have started work:

You noted this in June... and then yesterday CHK announced another round of layoffs. Campus is already really empty... they can't offload what they're already trying to sell. Building office space next door does seem odd.

https://kfor.com/news/local/chesapea...edium=referral

Steel going up:

Thread Information