Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Who cares? He’ll be traded.

Where? How?

Presti continuing to load off talent to West contenders for less than what he may be able to get elsewhere. With several young Eastern conference teams who will continue to become major players as well as a future asset depleted Western Conference, it almost looks like he is trying to flip the balance of power to the East and force major Western Conference players to go all in for 2020-2022 Finals runs before they all drop off and the pick haul becomes worth substantially more than it looks like it's worth today.

Presti does seem arrogant enough to think that if he couldn't make the long-game work out the 1st time, he can make it work out the 2nd time.

I don’t see that at all

Looks to me that he put together (with CP3 and current set up) a 38 to 43 win team that should be watchable and competitive, picked up 8 first round picks and got under the repeater tax

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    With McClendon's stake up for sale and this team going to be trash, is there a chance the Thunder move back to Seattle?
    Christ...no

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Here's my theory-

2016: Assistant coach Monty Williams wife dies in a car crash, children injured. Co-owner and founder Aubrey McClendon dies in a car crash. Conference Finals loss to the Warriors. KD Leaves for the Warriors. All this is in 6 months.
    Somewhere around that time Clay Bennett is diagnosed with the life threatening cancer that no one will discuss.

This is where the team went all in to win a title before Bennett died. No expense spared. The window is only a couple years before the repeater tax puts the Thunder near $300 in payroll. The effort fails. April 24th 2019 Sam Presti starts talking to other GMs about trading Russ and/or PG, as well as anyone else on the roster. There is no action on Russ.

Russ will stay a few more years. He might retire here.
    Where you at, big homie?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Presti continuing to load off talent to West contenders for less than what he may be able to get elsewhere. With several young Eastern conference teams who will continue to become major players as well as a future asset depleted Western Conference, it almost looks like he is trying to flip the balance of power to the East and force major Western Conference players to go all in for 2020-2022 Finals runs before they all drop off and the pick haul becomes worth substantially more than it looks like it's worth today.

Presti does seem arrogant enough to think that if he couldn't make the long-game work out the 1st time, he can make it work out the 2nd time.
    What? He traded PG for what most analysts consider one of the biggest hauls of all time and traded Westbrook to one of the few teams willing to give up a significant amount of draft picks and Chris Paul who the team doesn’t owe anything to and may will also probably be able to offload. They weren’t going to trade Westbrook to a team he didn’t want to be traded to. The Miami trade would’ve hurt our draft pick next year and wouldn’t have been worth it without all of their young guys being included which they weren’t going to do.

I just watched Isiah Thomas talk about how Chris Paul won’t want to play for the Thunder. Hope he’s wrong.
    CP3 might be a pain, but he is the president of the players union, IIRC. And he might be at a place in his career where he could be okay playing and mentoring
    Zeke does not exactly have a history of management success. See the CBA & KNICKS.

What? He traded PG for what most analysts consider one of the biggest hauls of all time and traded Westbrook to one of the few teams willing to give up a significant amount of draft picks and Chris Paul who the team doesn’t owe anything to and may will also probably be able to offload.
    This x 10

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Where you at, big homie?
    Oh, I’m here, and I own that. Hate to see Russ leave. Like him to the Rockets better than Miami. I think it is a better real chance to compete.

Blog Entries

Zach Lowe on trade - That is fantastic return for OKC. Cannot believe the old Thunder are all gone, and that two reunite in Houston. Rockets gave up more assets than I thought anyone would, let's see if they can make it work. Russ attacking close outs, Harden getting more spot up 3s is interesting.

Oh, I’m here, and I own that. Hate to see Russ leave. Like him to the Rockets better than Miami. I think it is a better real chance to compete.
    i hear that. I’m just surprised that we ended up with so many picks in this deal. Would have thought that Paul for RW was going to be closer to 1:1. In any event, I can definitely see us moving Paul in December. Maybe to someone like Minnesota.

I guess we start watching the NCAA for a few years now and hope that it was all worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    i hear that. I’m just surprised that we ended up with so many picks in this deal. Would have thought that Paul for RW was going to be closer to 1:1. In any event, I can definitely see us moving Paul in December. Maybe to someone like Minnesota.
    Or Miami right away. They can move CP3 immediately if they chose to.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess we start watching the NCAA for a few years now and hope that it was all worth it.
    This ain’t gonna be no 25 win team, IMO. They’re gonna be entertaining and competitive. Think they’ll still be working in March. not so sure about April.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Or Miami right away. They can move CP3 immediately if they chose to.
    This for sure

This ain’t gonna be no 25 win team, IMO. They’re gonna be entertaining and competitive. Think they’ll still be working in March. not so sure about April.
    Chris Paul will be gone before the season starts. Gallinari before the trade deadline and Adams next season

The only reason you want to look competitive now is to enhance CP3's value for a trade. There's no reason to try and make the playoffs because we really just need some lottery picks at this point. Presti has shown a pretty good track record in the lottery but hasn't done much with picks in the 20s and beyond.

Chris Paul will be gone before the season starts. Gallinari before the trade deadline and Adams next season
    Thinking Paul might end up starting the season in OKC. Not many trade partners at this point and why send Paul and picks to the Heat if it chances damaging that pick. Miami might end up just wallowing for the next two years since they've failed to get any Top 15 talent since Lebron left.

20. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

What have they accumulated? Like 15 1st Round draft picks? I do hope they look to the Nuggets as a way to build a quality, competitive team. They play the type of ball the players and the fans love and collected players to fit the style. Maybe they'll be last place this year and get the top pick!

Yes, yes, maybe. I think there's a chance the Thunder keep Adams. He's only 25 so he can grow with a young team.

Two quick points. The notion OKC's owners would sell the team because they're below .500 for the first time in a decade is, well, ignorant. Moreover, the notion OKC fans are going to abandon the team is also silly. Have you been to other cities? It's not like OKC's games. There are tons of empty seats. Yes, there will be more empty seats, but it's fine and totally normal. But the Thunder are still the only show in town and will do find. And, guess, what low expectations can make for fun times too. Embrace the young guys. I'm excited for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. He's got a lot of talent.

But, yeah, I agree. Gallo and CP3 are likely getting traded, but it may not happen until December or February. Presti wants another asset: high draft picks. And you don't get those by winning. OKC is going to try to lose games this season. It's the smart thing to do. There's no point in fighting for the 8 seed with the direction of the franchise. And I'm excited. Presti has positioned OKC for an incredible rebuild with what he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    The only reason you want to look competitive now is to enhance CP3's value for a trade.
    Bingo. This is why you want CP3, Gallo, Schroeder, and even Patterson to play and play well... to increase their trade value. My one concern: CP3 looked oooolllllllddddd last season. I hope he was dealing with injuries because I remember saying that he looked done as a productive player.

Don't we owe our 1st round pick this year to the Sixers from the Grant trade? I know it was lottery protected, so even more reason not to make the playoffs this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Don't we owe our 1st round pick this year to the Sixers from the Grant trade? I know it was lottery protected, so even more reason not to make the playoffs this season.
    It’s top 20 protected. I’d call that a pretty safe bet.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Yes, yes, maybe. I think there's a chance the Thunder keep Adams. He's only 25 so he can grow with a young team.

Two quick points. The notion OKC's owners would sell the team because they're below .500 for the first time in a decade is, well, ignorant. Moreover, the notion OKC fans are going to abandon the team is also silly. Have you been to other cities? It's not like OKC's games. There are tons of empty seats. Yes, there will be more empty seats, but it's fine and totally normal. But the Thunder are still the only show in town and will do find. And, guess, what low expectations can make for fun times too. Embrace the young guys. I'm excited for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. He's got a lot of talent.

But, yeah, I agree. Gallo and CP3 are likely getting traded, but it may not happen until December or February. Presti wants another asset: high draft picks. And you don't get those by winning. OKC is going to try to lose games this season. It's the smart thing to do. There's no point in fighting for the 8 seed with the direction of the franchise. And I'm excited. Presti has positioned OKC for an incredible rebuild with what he's done.
    Exactly. It’s hilarious to hear all the chicken litttles out there right now that seriously think the team’s future here is in jeopardy because they are rebuilding for the first time since moving here.

Thread Information