Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    boston and indy disagree as does toronto and the nets
    Those teams will all be perfectly mediocre next year with the possible exception of Boston. And even they seem to be spiraling out of control.

Russ is the King of OKC. He has probably already been measured for the stature, and knows exactly where it's going to be placed. He can't find a more accommodating team to go to. He has spent his adult life here.

I think when he signed the first extension after KD left his lot was cast.

I'm fine with RW going to another team only if he wants to move. I would hope Presti would help RW go to where he wants. He did such great things for our organization that we should show some loyalty (yes, I know) even if that means trading him somewhere he may win a ring.

Blog Entries

Thunder Trade Jerami Grant to the Denver Nuggets:
    https://kfor.com/2019/07/08/thunder-...enver-nuggets/

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I'm fine with RW going to another team only if he wants to move. I would hope Presti would help RW go to where he wants. He did such great things for our organization that we should show some loyalty (yes, I know) even if that means trading him somewhere he may win a ring.
    Yes, only if he wants to. He still fills seats at the Chesapeake. I think that's worth something.

6. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Alec Burks is signing with GSW on a one-year deal after we allowed him to re-evaluate after PG trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, only if he wants to. He still fills seats at the Chesapeake. I think that's worth something.
    He has that right, but I think he's thinking legacy and wants a change. Never out of the 1st round without KD is brutal.

When he comes back, they'll need a TO for the length of that ovation.

I wonder if Donovan will hang for the duration of his one year remaining contract.

Here's my theory-

2016: Assistant coach Monty Williams wife dies in a car crash, children injured. Co-owner and founder Aubrey McClendon dies in a car crash. Conference Finals loss to the Warriors. KD Leaves for the Warriors. All this is in 6 months.
    Somewhere around that time Clay Bennett is diagnosed with the life threatening cancer that no one will discuss.

This is where the team went all in to win a title before Bennett died. No expense spared. The window is only a couple years before the repeater tax puts the Thunder near $300 in payroll. The effort fails. April 24th 2019 Sam Presti starts talking to other GMs about trading Russ and/or PG, as well as anyone else on the roster. There is no action on Russ.

Russ will stay a few more years. He might retire here.

Blog Entries

^I don't believe Presti was talking about trading PG and Russ on your timeline. I believe the PG trade request came out of nowhere just like they are saying and that is what changed everything. As much as I'd love Russ to stay here and retire, I think there is little chance of that.

NBA GMs talk to each other constantly about every player on every roster. They are paid a king's ransom to explore every possibility. I'm not saying they were shopping Russ or PG, but discussions were happening.
    There is no market for Russ this year and maybe not next. His contract is HUGE. And don't forget the Thunder still needs to sell tickets, luxury boxes and merchandise. Russ does that here better than any possible alternative. Russ and Steven Adams will still make us in the playoff mix and selling tix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Here's my theory-

2016: Assistant coach Monty Williams wife dies in a car crash, children injured. Co-owner and founder Aubrey McClendon dies in a car crash. Conference Finals loss to the Warriors. KD Leaves for the Warriors. All this is in 6 months.
    Somewhere around that time Clay Bennett is diagnosed with the life threatening cancer that no one will discuss.

This is where the team went all in to win a title before Bennett died. No expense spared. The window is only a couple years before the repeater tax puts the Thunder near $300 in payroll. The effort fails. April 24th 2019 Sam Presti starts talking to other GMs about trading Russ and/or PG, as well as anyone else on the roster. There is no action on Russ.

Russ will stay a few more years. He might retire here.
    I don't think so. Russ is a competitor. I doubt he is content to ride out the next few years as the #8 or #9 seed in the West. Much better odds that he ends up in Miami with Jimmy Butler, Pat Riley, and Company.

How does he get there? How does Miami pay him $171 million over the next 4 years while they are hard capped now? Their 2021 cap & luxury tax bill could total $350 million.
    Russ might want to leave and we would be happy to help him. But he is too loyal to demand we give up half the PG trade bounty and take back 3 players. Which is what it will take to move Russ.

Blog Entries

NBA GMs talk to each other constantly about every player on every roster. They are paid a king's ransom to explore every possibility. I'm not saying they were shopping Russ or PG, but discussions were happening.
    There is no market for Russ this year and maybe not next. His contract is HUGE. And don't forget the Thunder still needs to sell tickets, luxury boxes and merchandise. Russ does that here better than any possible alternative. Russ and Steven Adams will still make us in the playoff mix and selling tix.
    The reports yesterday were that Presti was overwhelmed with discussions about Russ. I wish you were right and would love to see Russ back (I have 6 season tickets). But I feel sure that is not the way this is going to go. There is absolutely a market for Russ and his contract.

How does he get there? How does Miami pay him $171 million over the next 4 years while they are hard capped now? Their 2021 cap & luxury tax bill could total $350 million.
    Russ might want to leave and we would be happy to help him. But he is too loyal to demand we give up half the PG trade bounty and take back 3 players. Which is what it will take to move Russ.
    it will not take any assetts to move russ ..

I have never heard that before. You have any idea how that could happen? Honest question.

About Presti being overwhelmed with discussion-I can't really recall the last time we ever heard any rumor about a Presti move that panned out. Seems like every move the Thunder make is a total shock, doesn't it?

all they have to do is trade the same money out (essentially 1 dollar more out than in) and they can get westbrook

19. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

I have never heard that before. You have any idea how that could happen? Honest question.

About Presti being overwhelmed with discussion-I can't really recall the last time we ever heard any rumor about a Presti move that panned out. Seems like every move the Thunder make is a total shock, doesn't it?
    The Thunder are always very tight lipped. Other teams not so much and the national sports media really seems to think that there at least a few teams interested in acquiring Westbrook. And even if it doesn’t happen now on December 15th when all the players being traded now are eligible to be traded again Westbrook will have a lot of value to a team that’s on the brink of being championship material.

Blog Entries

You don't want to keep a key players who wants to be traded. He can make a franchise pay in more ways that one.

Rebuilding the Thunder franchise process has started; can't turned back this clock. There will be some new additions to Oklahoma City this season like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari.

Stay tuned...

21. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    You don't want to keep a key players who wants to be traded. He can make a franchise pay in more ways that one.

Rebuilding the Thunder franchise process has started; can't turned back this clock. There will be some new additions to Oklahoma City this season like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Danilo Gallinari.

Stay tuned...
    Its the rebuilding process that’s scary. My Miami Dolphins have been rebuilding since the mid 70s.

22. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Also, the 1st round draft picks we got for PG are likely to be at the back of the 1st round. The Clippers should be very good for the next few years. Two of the picks are from the Heat but that’s a likely place for Westbrook to end up so they could also be pretty good for the next few years. And Presti does not have a very good record drafting low level draft picks. Top ten, yes. 25th or so and lower, no!

I am not saying keep Russ if he wants to be traded. I AM saying that Russ isn't gonna move just to move. And the national media needs to fill space and time right now during the slowest sports news period of the year. The moves being talked about now aren't good fits, IMO. It is just the media talking to a couple agents and assistant GMs and asking them who might work? "League sources" can be anybody and everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Also, the 1st round draft picks we got for PG are likely to be at the back of the 1st round. The Clippers should be very good for the next few years. Two of the picks are from the Heat but that’s a likely place for Westbrook to end up so they could also be pretty good for the next few years. And Presti does not have a very good record drafting low level draft picks. Top ten, yes. 25th or so and lower, no!
    we have no idea if either kawahi or PG will be on the clippers in 3 years ...

picks in 22-26 could be any number of positions

It's very simple. They trade equal contracts back. Miami has plenty of them to make the deal work.

Thread Information