Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Presti continuing to load off talent to West contenders for less than what he may be able to get elsewhere. With several young Eastern conference teams who will continue to become major players as well as a future asset depleted Western Conference, it almost looks like he is trying to flip the balance of power to the East and force major Western Conference players to go all in for 2020-2022 Finals runs before they all drop off and the pick haul becomes worth substantially more than it looks like it's worth today.

Presti does seem arrogant enough to think that if he couldn't make the long-game work out the 1st time, he can make it work out the 2nd time.
    the long game did work the first time the thunder have the 2nd most wins in the last decade ..

the long game will also work the second time

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Bingo. This is why you want CP3, Gallo, Schroeder, and even Patterson to play and play well... to increase their trade value. My one concern: CP3 looked oooolllllllddddd last season. I hope he was dealing with injuries because I remember saying that he looked done as a productive player.
    CP3 will likely not be on the thunder before next monday ..

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

Farewell

Mr. Tenacity

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Farewell

Mr. Tenacity
    This one hurts. Feel like we’re a farm team for the Houston Rockets. Keep giving them great players

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    This one hurts. Feel like we’re a farm team for the Houston Rockets. Keep giving them great players
    It does but it was a good return and the front office did right by Russ so it feels like a win/win. The draft picks without having to give anything up are a win. I feel like Chris Paul is a slightly more trade-able asset since the team doesn't feel like it owes him anything and he plays more like a traditional point guard. Age and health are definitely a concern but a doormat or fringe contender will be dumb or desperate enough to take him in exchange for high priced expiring contracts at minimum...which can be traded again. If we can't trade him, his more traditional style of play will make the transition and rebuilding of the team easier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It does but it was a good return and the front office did right by Russ so it feels like a win/win. The draft picks without having to give anything up are a win. I feel like Chris Paul is a slightly more trade-able asset since the team doesn't feel like it owes him anything and he plays more like a traditional point guard. Age and health are definitely a concern but a doormat or fringe contender will be dumb or desperate enough to take him in exchange for high priced expiring contracts at minimum...which can be traded again. If we can't trade him, his more traditional style of play will make the transition and rebuilding of the team easier.
    Excellent point, Chris can be a great mentor for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Kentucky), a 6' 6" point guard, 21 years old. This young man has the potential to be a traditional PG who has 3 more inches than Westbrook (in height); who better to bring him along than Chris Paul.

Chris Paul played his the first years of his NBA career as a member of the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets. Let's retire CP3 & Westbrooks' numbers in the rafters of The Peake.

It is going to be tough to stomach rooting for the Rockets. But that man has earned his statue here. I love how the Rocket fans who have trashed Russ for the last 3 years are eating major crow now.

Chris Paul played his the first years of his NBA career as a member of the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets. Let's retire CP3 & Westbrooks' numbers in the rafters of The Peake.
    If CP3 ends up retiring here maybe, but most of what I'm reading is indicating that he likely won't be here even for this season.

Blog Entries

I agree that the high likelihood is CP3 is not in OKC this season. Tim MacMahon on Animal today said “CP3 is grumpy when he’s happy much less when he’s mad - I don’t think think the Thunder will want him at the start of training camp.” The problem is his contract and being able to find circumstances to unload it. Tim M is the Rockets version of Royce Young.

Blog Entries

He's old, clad & bald. Didn't work out in Houston; he's played here before--not getting any younger.

Where will CP3 Go, who wants him?

Blog Entries

Miami maybe but they don’t seem too excited. I suspect a draft pick or two may entice them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Miami maybe but they don’t seem too excited. I suspect a draft pick or two may entice them.
    Well, got to agree.

They thought the Thunder were going to give away Westbrook but Houston beat them to the punch. The Rockets had something of value; Miami didn't want to trade any of their young guns to get Russell.

Blog Entries

Russell Westbrook tribute video

Blog Entries

^Good video. There are 10 players who are 15K points, 5K rebounds and 5K assists. Lebron and Kobe are two, 7 are in the hall of fame and Russ is the other one. A generational player who we got to see for 11 years. What a treat.

Not sure whether CP3 is a good player to have around for SGA. Paul is a perfectionist who nags his teammates to death. No one likes playing with him.

To have around for a few months to one season? If you're a young star and can't find a way to take a way a lot of wisdom and value from one of the greatest players of his generation...you're going to have a tough time in your NBA career and an even tougher time in the real-world after.

If he's a cancer and you can't trade him, waiving him after this year is not a bad deal because realistically, we're not going to need cap space...it would limit the amount of bad expiring deals + picks that we can take on, but if we have good talent that is being substantially held back after this season, then write it off.

New blue uniforms leaked. Nice look, but the fact that the leaked picture is the Westbrook uniform makes it bittersweet. That’s the only time we’ll see his name on the new kit...

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    To have around for a few months to one season? If you're a young star and can't find a way to take a way a lot of wisdom and value from one of the greatest players of his generation...you're going to have a tough time in your NBA career and an even tougher time in the real-world after.

If he's a cancer and you can't trade him, waiving him after this year is not a bad deal because realistically, we're not going to need cap space...it would limit the amount of bad expiring deals + picks that we can take on, but if we have good talent that is being substantially held back after this season, then write it off.
    I can’t imagine the Thunder waiving Chris Paul. He gonna make around $40 million a year for the last two years of his deal and the cost would be something like $12 million plus per over six years, if I got my gazindas right.

Trammel wrote today that the Thunder spent almost $90 million in luxury tax for the last two years combined. Jumping from A to Q, that $45 million a year would pay the debt service on Aubrey McClendon’s 22 percent share, since I’m guessing the team ownership structure gives the partners first right of refusal, after fair market value is determined.

Blog Entries

They could buy him out and he can go play with his buddy King James. But 3 years is a long time left as you say and I’d think that is a very last resort after exploring all trade options.

Blog Entries

We, Thunder fans will miss Russell. Hope he doesn't come at us with a vengeance. Nothing worse than seeing an angry Westbrook from the Western Conference story.

You will see him again as a Rockets player, and unlike Durant, I'll be cheering for Westbrook, as we endure the hurt when we feel his awesome rapture, screams of triumph and dominant personality. You'll know what opposing teams & fans felt as we will get a double-dip of The Beard & The Brodie, all in one injection.

Blog Entries

Reminiscing about the Days of Thunder:

By the way, our maternal family reunion (Benson & Battle) was in Houston in 2016 when the Thunder led the Warriors 3 - 1. All of the family members in Houston & Dallas were pulling for OKC; a big letdown.

It was a difficult (shared) drive home on I-45 to Dallas and then I-35 to OKC with my boys & my brother & his son. They kept complaining about K.D's poor play. Recall a catfish place that served up some good ole southern fried catfish just north of Dallas. And those original fried pies we ate somewhere near the Arbuckle Mountains in southern Oklahoma. Put on extra pounds around my waist line that took months to eliminate. Stay out of Texas & Southern Oklahoma, the food is additive, as are our Thunder.

We, Thunder fans will miss Russell. Hope he doesn't come at us with a vengeance. Nothing worse than seeing an angry Westbrook from the West
    Well he can take it up with Paul George and the Lakers if he was bitter about it. I think we did him a favor though.

23. Default Re: 2019-20 OKC Thunder

I don’t know much about how the NBA cap/tax works but if I heard right a couple days ago on the radio: The Thunder bought out Kyle Singler to have him go away. But his salary stays against the cap until his contract runs out. If that’s right then buying out Paul won’t do any good because it’s the cap space they’re after.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I don’t know much about how the NBA cap/tax works but if I heard right a couple days ago on the radio: The Thunder bought out Kyle Singler to have him go away. But his salary stays against the cap until his contract runs out. If that’s right then buying out Paul won’t do any good because it’s the cap space they’re after.
    I think there are ways to amnesty/buy out players where the cap hit is either spread out over a longer period than the contract itself. I believe the rule is 2x the remaining contract years + an additional year. So, for a guy like Paul, you could theoretically waive him and take the cap hit over a 7 year period. You obviously try to trade him before going down that road.

We are not buying out or stretching CP3. It would be a bad move for OKC and I don’t think you can stretch that much money. It would be a disaster. There are no amnesties anymore. We’ll trade him or he’ll be with OKC. It may not be until December when new contracts can be traded, which opens a lot of options.

Thread Information