Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building the aquarium through crowdfunding?

Default Re: Building the aquarium through crowdfunding?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    This is why I say if they build it to do it right and make it world class. Yes it might cost 300-400 mil. but it would attract visitors from all around the region IMO. If they want a cheaper knockoff for 100 mil or so I wouldn't vote for that. Do it right and first class or don't do it at all. It needs to be a top attraction.
    I believe the Oklahoma Zoo executives only rooted for a lousy $150M aquarium. Yes, you're right, we shouldn't build another boring aquarium like the one in Jenks, a world-class aquarium will make that new CC several times more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
    I believe the Oklahoma Zoo executives only rooted for a lousy $150M aquarium. Yes, you're right, we shouldn't build another boring aquarium like the one in Jenks, a world-class aquarium will make that new CC several times more valuable.
    their goal was 200-250

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    their goal was 200-250
    From this source, the number was $100M: https://www.news9.com/story/39826663...r-new-aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
    I do think there will be fear of being "Sea Worlded". It may not be here yet, but I can see this sentiment on the horizon.

That said, your slight of the Jenks aquarium is a bit off putting considering your goals. The Jenks aquarium is largely a conservation effort with a large portion of the exhibits representing local wildlife.

And ironically, the headlining event there (the shark tank) has many MANY issues with retaining inhabitants. Apparently some fish really aren't meant to be in cages after all.

And I personally enjoy going to aquariums. I just think there is a bit of a chill in the water so to speak surrounding new ventures.

If done right it would be a game changer for that area and make OKC a destination spot for many folks vacationing.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Building the aquarium through crowdfunding?

Two items proposed by the city, the coliseum & stadium's maximum cost range together is $188 million will represent less than 20% of the MAPS 4 package if it totals $1 billion; that figure is based on previous initiatives & MAPS 3 which totaled $777 million.

Holt: Two myths in this question I'd like to address. The potential State Fair and multipurpose stadium projects are simply not going to be centerpieces of MAPS

4. They may or may not be included in some fashion, but when I play with the numbers, those two add up to less than 10 percent of a package.--Mayor David Holt, OKC Central Chat: 06-21-19 Oklahoman: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx
    1993 Original MAPS I $350 million
    2001 MAPS II for Kids $514 million
    2008 MAPS for Hoops $100 million (NBA arena upgrades & practice facility required)
    2009 MAPS III $777 million
    2020 MAPS IV estimated $1 billion

The new coliseum $96.6 million estimate and the stadium an estimated cost of $65 million to $80 million for construction and $6 million to $12 million for site acquisition.

Coliseum bids for place in OKC's MAPS 4: https://oklahoman.com/article/561923...in-okcs-maps-4

10,000-seat OKC soccer stadium proposed for MAPS 4: https://oklahoman.com/article/562437...sed-for-maps-4

Blog Entries

From reddit, take it for what it's worth...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquarium.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	15371

Sweet. Rather than TIF let’s just give them all of Dr Peppers money

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    I know they are still popular with many, and that my experience is anecdotal, but there really is more of a general feeling these days that animals in cages attractions are inhumane and on the way out.

Either way I'm a fan of MAPS4 ideas that make our city more attractive to LIVE IN and WORK IN, not more reasons for people from Edmond to come visit for 2 hours and leave.
    Being able to take my kiddo to things which are both entertaining and educational are great reasons to consider it more attractive to live in OKC. I am at the zoo or science museum almost every weekend during the year. Adding an aquarium to the mix would be great--and the Zoo would be idea as it has the land area to make this work, an existing facility which could be integrated into a larger project, and it could share a lot of support facilities with an aquarium.

The Jenks aquarium, by the way, isn't just a pokey dinky aquarium. It's a pretty great facility. I probably go at least twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post

It sounds so far-fetched that it could be true. lol

Has anyone been to Wonders of Wildlife built by Bass Pro in Springfield? I thought it was cool, but it was kind of expensive and this was basically built to get more people to come to Bass Pro so that just goes to show how much it costs to operate a nice aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post

It definitely could be true. Now that I think about it, I get my haircut in Duncan Brothers inside the mall, and my hairdresser had told me that they were thinking about shutting down that location. They had a big meeting recently with the mall, but I haven't heard since. She didn't tell me why they were closing, but I couldn't imagine it being due to slow business because she's always telling me about how busy they always are.

12. Default Re: Building the aquarium through crowdfunding?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Dr Pepper basically wants to raise money on people’s ego trips and the like 37 people in okc would would chip in over 1,000+ for a 5 year pass.

You’re new here Dr. Pepper. Ou and osu vacuum up pretty much all of the ego trip money.
    Stop being such a negative - Nellie! 😁

Thread Information