Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earlywine Clubhouse

South OKC Earlywine Clubhouse

Renderings by GSB of the proposed new clubhouse at Earlywine.

Default Re: Earlywine Clubhouse

just a fyi this was funded by a previous Go bond vote

I lobbied and voted for this project. Probably to early to tell by the rendering but that is butt ugly for 12.4 million. I like the lighted driving range enhancements, but why oh why can’t it look similar to Lincoln. I don’t understand why they changed architects. I’m sure Hefner’s renovation will look exponentially better.

I had a good customer and friend that was very involved in building the new clubhouse at Lincoln. I haven’t seen him in a few years but at the time it was finished he told me that Earlywine would be very similar to Lincoln but better because they will have learned from their mistakes... it’s an understatement to call those renderings even a huge disappointment... they kinda look similar to what the clubhouse looks like currently and that is not good any way...

I don't think this looks too bad - to be honest the Lincoln clubhouse reminds me of Bass Pro Shop.

Is Earlywine a municipal course?

Huh...I thought the renderings looked nice. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Is Earlywine a municipal course?
    yes

and i also think this looks pretty good .. kind of a mid-century feel

I like it. Giving me slight Streamsong Black clubhouse vibes. Will all depend on the quality of the materials and the quality of construction

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	streamsong black club4.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	15333

HangryHippo Guest

I liked them too.

11. Default Re: Earlywine Clubhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    they kinda look similar to what the clubhouse looks like currently and that is not good any way...
    Yeah... I had to do a double take and ask myself if it was a rendering of what is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yeah... I had to do a double take and ask myself if it was a rendering of what is already there.
    Especially pics two and three. They look almost identical to the current clubhouse.

It looks like a run of the mill municipal building to me. Does anyone of pics of the current clubhouse for comparison?

Building permit applications have been filed for this project.

15. Default Re: Earlywine Clubhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    I had a good customer and friend that was very involved in building the new clubhouse at Lincoln. I haven’t seen him in a few years but at the time it was finished he told me that Earlywine would be very similar to Lincoln but better because they will have learned from their mistakes... it’s an understatement to call those renderings even a huge disappointment... they kinda look similar to what the clubhouse looks like currently and that is not good any way...
    It appears that this is more of a remodel than a demolition and new construction. It is a far cry from what Lincoln Park got. I would also add that based on the 2nd rendering I hope they don't have the steps on the east side leading into a stone wall

16. Default Re: Earlywine Clubhouse

I actually like the look of the exterior. Keeps with the prairie mid-century vibe, but either way, it's been the interior of that building that has desperately needed an upgrade. I'm 38 and started going there when I was 5 and I can't honestly remember it ever looking anything short of a dump.

Per Mayor Holt’s Twitter this project broke ground today:

https://twitter.com/davidfholt/statu...959792643?s=21

Not much has been happening here, as they had to deal with asbestos removal.

But today they filed for a demo permit for the existing clubhouse, so we should start to see this project start to move forward again.

New renderings have been published per the KFOR story below.

https://kfor.com/news/local/okc-golf...g-renovations/

Pete - The article references the bond issue at $8.5MM. I recall the bond issue was actually $12MM. Thoughts? I’ve been worried about this project as I’ve felt we would get short changed on the final product compared to Hefner and Lincoln. Also, seemed odd that the renderings didn’t surface until now.

Blog Entries

This is a bit off topic but I was visiting with some folks this weekend who are pretty involved in the golf community in the metro, and they were really raving about how nice the Kickingbird renovations will be. Lincoln, Hefner and Earlywine were discussed too, but it caused me to pull up the renderings for Kickingbird and they do look nice. The metro has some really nice public golf facilities especially with all the improvements being made. John Conrad just completed a course update as well and re-opened a few weeks ago.

https://www.edmondok.gov/371/KickingBird-Golf-Club

Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    New renderings have been published per the KFOR story below.

https://kfor.com/news/local/okc-golf...g-renovations/

Pete - The article references the bond issue at $8.5MM. I recall the bond issue was actually $12MM. Thoughts? I’ve been worried about this project as I’ve felt we would get short changed on the final product compared to Hefner and Lincoln. Also, seemed odd that the renderings didn’t surface until now.
    Yes, the budget had been $12.45MM and square footage was 22,000 (as of 2019); it's now at 18,600.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    John Conrad just completed a course update as well and re-opened a few weeks ago.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but the redone John Conrad should be the model for muni golf throughout the state when it comes to the actual course. I'm a member at Twin Hills but we've been playing JC a lot since it's reopened and it's easily become both my favorite muni in the city (and I love the Lincoln courses and James E Stewart - which has also improved drastically in the last couple years) and what I believe is the ideal for municipal golf.

The course is now wide open after extensive tree removal with firm wide fairways (that I'm sure will continue to improve over time), allowing novice and less skilled golfers to have a fighting chance.

The greens are easily the best public greens in the city (though I suspect Kicking Bird will compete) and are better from a fun and design perspective than most private courses. They're wacky (in a good way) without being too over the top and provide a great defense against good golfers while allowing less good golfers to hit all sorts of fun and crazy putts and shots.

I think it's important that great municipal golf (and really, all good golf courses should do this) allow the average/below average golfer to enjoy themselves while maintaining a challenge for above average golfers and I think they hit it out of the park with this renovation.

It's not really a hidden gem at this point as the tee sheet is completely packed but if you would have never given JC a second thought in the past (like I admit I would not have), definitely recommend checking it out, especially this fall as they won't have to soak the greens to keep them alive (they're bent grass, so they've needed all the water they could get this summer).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the budget had been $12.45MM and square footage was 22,000 (as of 2019); it's now at 18,600.
    Any explanation for the change? if anything I would have thought the budget would have been increased due to inflation.

My o my have metro golf course club houses changed since I played golf in the 70s and 80s. I can't believe that dining area.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but the redone John Conrad should be the model for muni golf throughout the state when it comes to the actual course. I'm a member at Twin Hills but we've been playing JC a lot since it's reopened and it's easily become both my favorite muni in the city (and I love the Lincoln courses and James E Stewart - which has also improved drastically in the last couple years) and what I believe is the ideal for municipal golf.

The course is now wide open after extensive tree removal with firm wide fairways (that I'm sure will continue to improve over time), allowing novice and less skilled golfers to have a fighting chance.

The greens are easily the best public greens in the city (though I suspect Kicking Bird will compete) and are better from a fun and design perspective than most private courses. They're wacky (in a good way) without being too over the top and provide a great defense against good golfers while allowing less good golfers to hit all sorts of fun and crazy putts and shots.

I think it's important that great municipal golf (and really, all good golf courses should do this) allow the average/below average golfer to enjoy themselves while maintaining a challenge for above average golfers and I think they hit it out of the park with this renovation.

It's not really a hidden gem at this point as the tee sheet is completely packed but if you would have never given JC a second thought in the past (like I admit I would not have), definitely recommend checking it out, especially this fall as they won't have to soak the greens to keep them alive (they're bent grass, so they've needed all the water they could get this summer).
    i agree with you on conrad it is really nice now (i hope the maintenance staff can keep in that way)

i will say it is completely absurd that they use 7 min tee times with 5 person groups ...

they also don't accept cash ... which is crazy for a muni ..

Thread Information