Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Any new economic developments?

1. Default Re: Any new economic developments?

https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/eco...ack=super_blog Strong job growth projected for OKC metro in 2022

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any new economic developments?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Yeah, Oklahoma keeps cutting taxes. So they can't afford to offer tax breaks. And no way they could even come close to $1 billion.
    Kansas is in worse shape and has less population than OK.

However, the Kansas budget per year is about $18.5 Billion vs. Oklahoma's $8.5 Billion ( and KS with a million less people). They are willing to collect and spend. Consequently, their per capita GDP is about 25% greater than OK's. This from a state that is nearly as conservative as OK. They are just smarter and not so controlled by dimwit rural and dogmatic legislatures bound on keeping everything at the least common denominator and trying to be social police.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Article mentions is manufacturing related as well. So the port will be a leg up on KC as well.

Also, not how tax incentives work. OK will offer a highly similar package. These things often come down to where the CEO wants to do business and how it fits with the company. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Article mentions is manufacturing related as well. So the port will be a leg up on KC as well.

Also, not how tax incentives work. OK will offer a highly similar package. These things often come down to where the CEO wants to do business and how it fits with the company. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
    The corporate tax rate in KS is 7%, OK is 4%. That might make a difference. For individuals, state and local taxes are almost identical at about 8.8%

Well that's all find and dandy, but I want to know what company it is, and will it be in the OKC metro....lol

However, the Kansas budget per year is about $18.5 Billion vs. Oklahoma's $8.5 Billion ( and KS with a million less people). They are willing to collect and spend. Consequently, their per capita GDP is about 25% greater than OK's. This from a state that is nearly as conservative as OK. They are just smarter and not so controlled by dimwit rural and dogmatic legislatures bound on keeping everything at the least common denominator and trying to be social police.
    Sorry, Rover, but this is wildly misinformed and incorrect. You're comparing apples and oranges. The total government spending in Kansas is ~$18.5 billion; in Oklahoma, it's closer to $24 billion. The number you're citing for Oklahoma's budget ($8.5 billion) is the non-apportioned "discretionary" spending the legislature gets to appropriate. Kansas has wider discretionary control of their budget than our legislature.

You got your snark in, even if it was based on an incorrect understanding of how our state's finances work!

When it comes to incentives, it's very rare that a state or municipality just writes a check.

It's usually in the form of tax credits, tax abatements, TIF which is pulled from future property taxes, and other creative mixes.

According to a St. Louis urban development site I follow, the cities in contention for this project are Topeka and Tulsa. But no public naming of said company. So not sure where this insight comes from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Sorry, Rover, but this is wildly misinformed and incorrect. You're comparing apples and oranges. The total government spending in Kansas is ~$18.5 billion; in Oklahoma, it's closer to $24 billion. The number you're citing for Oklahoma's budget ($8.5 billion) is the non-apportioned "discretionary" spending the legislature gets to appropriate. Kansas has wider discretionary control of their budget than our legislature.

You got your snark in, even if it was based on an incorrect understanding of how our state's finances work!
    Yes, they do budget differently. I stand corrected. However, it is also true the GDP for KS is about 25% higher per capita. And, KS total spending per capita is about 4-5% higher than in OK. They also rate higher in education achievement and health.

Sorry but I must offended you. Maybe you are one of those rural or dogmatic legislatures. It's no secret that 23rd St. is held hostage by them. Joined by our Governor.

Yes, they do budget differently. I stand corrected. However, it is also true the GDP for KS is about 25% higher per capita. And, KS total spending per capita is about 4-5% higher than in OK. They also rate higher in education achievement and health.

Sorry but I must offended you. Maybe you are one of those rural or dogmatic legislatures. It's no secret that 23rd St. is held hostage by them. Joined by our Governor.
    What Oklahoma really needs is is more stuff like Greg Treat’s new 30 day bill. We need that stuff taking front and center. That ought to do the trick. Maybe some xenophobic legislator screaming about gays or sharia law. That’s what this state really needs. Just basically the town from “footloose”. We need more people like that. That’ll land some good high paying jobs.

If we lose out on this company to Kansas, then something is very, very wrong, lol.

I know that I am negative nanny But why would anyone on this board be surprised if Oklahoma lost a large company investment? You people are dreaming if you don't realize Oklahoma does not compete and win these. I have all but stopped hoping the State would mature and realize the need to diversify and attract large manufacturing and engineering and technology companies. I know someone will mention a few but hey, keep doin what you doin and keep gettin what you gettin,

13. Default Re: Any new economic developments?

I visited with the new Carvana conditioning facility this week. their hiring event on Wednesday and Thursday went really well. they are excited to get opened up in OKC.

I was saying the economics need to line up, given all the other tax cuts this state is taking.

But according to others, OK might as well say they struck out before stepping in the batters box. Might as well delete this thread, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What Oklahoma really needs is is more stuff like Greg Treat’s new 30 day bill. We need that stuff taking front and center. That ought to do the trick. Maybe some xenophobic legislator screaming about gays or sharia law. That’s what this state really needs. Just basically the town from “footloose”. We need more people like that. That’ll land some good high paying jobs.
    You mean those laws like Texas has? Good grief. They are worse in a lot of ways. Yet because they have money to play with and throw at companies they are seen as more business-friendly. Let's ignore the "xenophobic" and racist laws they have. Companies claim to be liberal until it affects their wallets.

No, you couldn't offend me, so don't worry about it. I just enjoy it when people are so snarky and certain about things they clearly don't understand and draw unsupportable conclusions, especially when they're making fun of other people.

Also, you're wrong about your precious GDP stat, as well

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...s/gdp-by-state

Ouch...

Hopefully, please let Oklahoma get this. Being from OKC I’d prefer the 405 gets it but I’d just as thrilled if Tulsa did get it if that is there other consideration. 1 billion in incentives is nothing for a state like Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I know that I am negative nanny But why would anyone on this board be surprised if Oklahoma lost a large company investment? You people are dreaming if you don't realize Oklahoma does not compete and win these. I have all but stopped hoping the State would mature and realize the need to diversify and attract large manufacturing and engineering and technology companies. I know someone will mention a few but hey, keep doin what you doin and keep gettin what you gettin,
    If you subtract out all the times Oklahoma has competed and won these projects, then you are 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    If you subtract out all the times Oklahoma has competed and won these projects, then you are 100% correct
    Competed and won what? when? Non Government technical/manufacturing (tinker); non start up that never starts up, greater than 400 jobs, not amazon (every state) has those it's their business model.

Competed and won what? when? Non Government technical/manufacturing (tinker); non start up that never starts up, greater than 400 jobs, not amazon (every state) has those it's their business model.
    Boeing moved hundreds of very high-paying engineering jobs from Long Beach, CA.

I could name a bunch more but you are always searching for the darkside and don't like information that is counter to your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Boeing moved hundreds of very high-paying engineering jobs from Long Beach, CA.

I could name a bunch more but you are always searching for the darkside and don't like information that is counter to your narrative.
    Pete, with all due respect, I said not Tinker related, but OK .

Pete, with all due respect, I said not Tinker related, but OK .
    Why would you make such an exclusion other than to be as negative as possible?

Tinker and the related businesses are by far the biggest employers in Oklahoma and the absolute envy of every other state. Tens of thousands of well-paid jobs and countless other economic benefits.

All this growth during a period where most bases and related businesses (like Boeing in Long Beach) are being drastically reduced.

There are people in this world who are always, always going to see the glass half full.

Yeah as critical as I can be sometimes, I think there is some criticism to be dealt when being frustrated by the constant massive chip manufacturers or corporate relocations elsewhere but to discount Boeings investment is ridiculous. That is an absolute huge win. Why would you not count that?

Plus we’re getting Locke Supply HQ. Carvana Center, Canoo Manufacturing plant, Boeing Expansion, Heartland HQ, Costco Call Center, Signify Health, Consumer Cellular, and there reports of dozens of more major expansions in the pipeline. There’s also a new major aeronautical company opening up in Ardmore. A new Seattle based emissions tech firm relocated its HQ to Tulsa. Eighty Twenty Solar opened up in downtown OKC.

I’m positive this state is going to get some very exciting major relocations in the coming years.

Thread Information