Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any new economic developments?

Default Re: Any new economic developments?

In my opinion Oklahoma needs to go after companies doing business in China.

GoPro is moving camera production out of China, citing tariff worries

KEY POINTS

GoPro says it will move production of U.S.-bound cameras out of China to avoid being caught up in tariffs.

It doesn’t say where those cameras will be manufactured.

The company says production will remain in China for cameras bound for non-U.S. markets

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/10/gopr...-concerns.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Oklahoma has the 10th lowest combined state and local taxes (sales, property, state income) at 8.6% while Texas has the 6th lowest at 7.6%
    How can they assign local taxes to the state? I’m just curious how that is calculated do they take all cities local tax rates and average or top 10 cities? And property taxes would also have variances.

Just a comment about all the talk about taxes. I'm retired. Cities live and die on sales tax and cannot tax property. If you cut out sales tax on food then you cut out most of their budget. If you shift to letting cities tax property then all property taxes will go up by huge amounts. For one who is retired but under 65 on a fixed income and you remove the cap on property taxes, then some of us will be driven out of our homes. I currently live on 10 ac in a small 1200/1700 sq ft house (garage conversion added) I don't pay much income tax and then when you are one person you don't buy that much at the store so don't pay much sales tax on food. If my property taxes went up to the level of Texas then I would be forced to leave the state or more to the middle of no where. No good when you are getting older and hospitals and health care is moving out of smaller towns. Just saying how is this good for older folks.

From where I live:

https://www.krdo.com/news/top-storie...ain/1084500577

Murray said he's concerned about setting a dangerous precedent.

"Other new businesses may come in and ask for similar incentives," he said. "I'm not in favor of giving incentives to retail businesses in the fastest-growing area of the city."

5. Default Re: Any new economic developments?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I think the point of incentives isn't necessarily to offer them to every business that wants to open but to offer them only to those that meet particular needs. Colorado had Garts Sporting Goods but their poor financials caused a merger with Sports Authority. SA business dramatically declined and the company went out of business. To offer incentives to a sporting goods store, now, in Colorado, to me, would be a risky proposition. Unless it serves some need SA didn't, it brings nothing new, isn't overtly desired by the public and isn't doing anything special - like business to a low income area. This is a case l might have to say no.

Living in DFW property taxes are becoming an issue, however, it appears something is being done about it! Texas is also funding more $$$ into their education system and giving teachers pay raises. I believe part of this is due to all these white collar jobs coming and relocating to Texas requires educated human capital! Even though property taxes are a thorn in Texas side, the quality of life is still great and people and companies are moving in droves to the Lone Star State, especially to cities like Austin and DFW. Lots of high disposable incomes in DFW and is becoming a more educated city with an increase in people with College degrees!

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...rty-taxes.html

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Just a comment about all the talk about taxes. I'm retired. Cities live and die on sales tax and cannot tax property. If you cut out sales tax on food then you cut out most of their budget. If you shift to letting cities tax property then all property taxes will go up by huge amounts. For one who is retired but under 65 on a fixed income and you remove the cap on property taxes, then some of us will be driven out of our homes. I currently live on 10 ac in a small 1200/1700 sq ft house (garage conversion added) I don't pay much income tax and then when you are one person you don't buy that much at the store so don't pay much sales tax on food. If my property taxes went up to the level of Texas then I would be forced to leave the state or more to the middle of no where. No good when you are getting older and hospitals and health care is moving out of smaller towns. Just saying how is this good for older folks.
    The majority of states don't tax food, so they figured something out. Whatever it was, it would probably be too politically unpopular to do in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    How can they assign local taxes to the state? I’m just curious how that is calculated do they take all cities local tax rates and average or top 10 cities? And property taxes would also have variances.
    Seems they would gather all non-federal tax collections within the state divide by overall population. That would give the easiest and quickest average for a national study.

Google just invested $600MM into their data facility in Pryor.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/347118...ma-data-center

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Living in DFW property taxes are becoming an issue, however, it appears something is being done about it! Texas is also funding more $$$ into their education system and giving teachers pay raises. I believe part of this is due to all these white collar jobs coming and relocating to Texas requires educated human capital! Even though property taxes are a thorn in Texas side, the quality of life is still great and people and companies are moving in droves to the Lone Star State, especially to cities like Austin and DFW. Lots of high disposable incomes in DFW and is becoming a more educated city with an increase in people with College degrees!

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...rty-taxes.html
    I think people really underestimate how much education is affecting our ability to compete. I guarantee you that no cutting edge companies are going to get past the #49 education ranking without a big bag of money being thrown at them.

I live in Mustang, which has always been kind of seen as a small town. A few years ago, the high school got ranked a 9/10 on Zillow (whether you believe the validity of that rating or not, it's a major deciding factor when moving), and homes have been flying off the market. Even upside down McMansions are being bought up (3 in my family alone) so people can send their kids to a good school. This little town is exploding with people and developments because of a boost to the education rating. Imagine if all of Oklahoma City was that liveable for young families.

I'm almost 100% positive if OKCPS could average an 8/10 across the board, you'd see a huge migration of older millenials from the burbs to the urban core, which would greatly improve OKC's retail demographics and attract way more corporate diversity at a premium instead of a deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Google just invested $600MM into their data facility in Pryor.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/347118...ma-data-center
    Jobs or Computers(Data Servers etc) ? I think mostly computers, good but very different from paychecks

12. Default Re: Any new economic developments?

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Jobs or Computers(Data Servers etc) ? I think mostly computers, good but very different from paychecks
    It's better than an old Gatorade plant sitting there empty in a part of the state desperate for jobs. Since they bought the plant, they've expanded to 3 additional buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It's better than an old Gatorade plant sitting there empty in a part of the state desperate for jobs. Since they bought the plant, they've expanded to 3 additional buildings.
    It's also really aided the tax base in Pryor. It's per pupil spending on schools is some of the highest in the state thanks to Google.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/c...b346bd83e.html

14. Default Re: Any new economic developments?

im so confused on this per pupil spending. I dont understand why OKC (the biggest economic generator) has relatively low per pupil spending yet Pryor has the highest due to mostly one plant?

I heard the argument that the state balances resources which could explain why OKC gets a lower share so the rural can "share" the wealth, but why doesn't that apply to Pryor. Nothing against Pryor but I'm trying to understand what seems like a very unfair funding formula seemingly against OKC yet seems to be ignored by the rural and small towns. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Coming from one of the most progressive small towns in Oklahoma, an editorial in the Tahlequah Daily Press has some good advice to offer Oklahoma. With so many young people, especially college graduates, leaving the state, more Oklahomans need to see the value in investing in our young people. Some are even leaving for Arkansas. Arkansas minimum wage goes up to $11.00 an hour in 2021, so the working poor are liable to join them.
    https://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/...da632af9f.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Coming from one of the most progressive small towns in Oklahoma, an editorial in the Tahlequah Daily Press has some good advice to offer Oklahoma. With so many young people, especially college graduates, leaving the state, more Oklahomans need to see the value in investing in our young people. Some are even leaving for Arkansas. Arkansas minimum wage goes up to $11.00 an hour in 2021, so the working poor are liable to join them.
    https://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/...da632af9f.html
    Sad that this has been the case for some time now and State and Local leadership has failed to place a priority on improving this. I must admit, I am growing increasingly pessimistic that I will see a marketed change in trajectory (population, education level, tech jobs, etc) for my home state because either the lack of will or know how to effectively address this and other issues.

Sad that this has been the case for some time now and State and Local leadership has failed to place a priority on improving this. I must admit, I am growing increasingly pessimistic that I will see a marketed change in trajectory (population, education level, tech jobs, etc) for my home state because either the lack of will or know how to effectively address this and other issues.
    Are you kidding? We got Uncle Julio’s, Costco, and IKEA is next! This is a BLC, baby!

Oklahoma had some serious momentum going early this decade and the state government let it slip away. It can't be 100% blamed on the 2014-15 oil bust.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Oklahoma had some serious momentum going early this decade and the state government let it slip away. It can't be 100% blamed on the 2014-15 oil bust.
    I would put nearly 100% on the oil bust. Our state government is far from perfect but the oil bust is the only thing that has tangibly slowed down our economy. I think you underestimate the impact that the bust had on the state economy. I’m frankly surprised things are going as well as they are economically speaking in Oklahoma right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I would put nearly 100% on the oil bust. Our state government is far from perfect but the oil bust is the only thing that has tangibly slowed down our economy. I think you underestimate the impact that the bust had on the state economy. I’m frankly surprised things are going as well as they are economically speaking in Oklahoma right now.
    Well, the state, especially OKC, has done well in varying their economy a bit. Not perfect, but they have made a good bit of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Well, the state, especially OKC, has done well in varying their economy a bit. Not perfect, but they have made a good bit of progress.
    True, but the all the high paying energy jobs lost, most of which haven’t been replaced, have made an impact. That is definitely hurting college graduate retention. It’s certainly not the only thing affecting it but it’s playing a part.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    im so confused on this per pupil spending. I dont understand why OKC (the biggest economic generator) has relatively low per pupil spending yet Pryor has the highest due to mostly one plant?

I heard the argument that the state balances resources which could explain why OKC gets a lower share so the rural can "share" the wealth, but why doesn't that apply to Pryor. Nothing against Pryor but I'm trying to understand what seems like a very unfair funding formula seemingly against OKC yet seems to be ignored by the rural and small towns. ....
    Appropriated dollars for common education flow through what is referred to as the "funding formula". Many factors (attendance, etc.) Property taxes do NOT go through the formula. That is why districts with power plants are so well off (I'm looking at you Oologah). Don't know what Google's deal is but I'm willing to guess that is why the per pupil expenditures are the way they are.

https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraf...es-in-oklahoma

This is becoming a common occurrence. Glad to see more high paying jobs coming to Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    our state govt is as pro business as any

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraf...es-in-oklahoma

This is becoming a common occurrence. Glad to see more high paying jobs coming to Oklahoma City.
    +1

Everyone yelling about diversifying read this and be quiet. It is happening, just not as fast as you want. Aerospace has some momentum in okc which is why it keeps building and building. Took forever to get the ball rolling but it is rolling well now.

Why the aerospace training center isn’t in maps 4 is astounding.

Thread Information