Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
I can echo that sentiment for my own son back when he was coming out of high school and into his early college years. He went out seemingly days at a time filling out applications at all the "Now Hiring" places; grocery stores, dept stores, you name it, and he *never* heard back, not a decline, no "no thanks," no interview, nothing. Nothing. How did he finally land a job? By going to a job fair at OCCC one day and the manager of a store that was getting ready to open needed to staff up, and he hired him on the spot. He worked there off and on for about three or four years. But what if he hadn't happened to stumble onto that job fair??
Purely anecdotal, but about a decade ago - during the recession - I was an assistant manager for a local fast food restaurant. Our turnover was relatively low, but corporate mandated that all stores kept the "Now Hiring" sign in the window. We got so, so many applications, all the time, and every time we were ready to hire one or two people, there was literally a stack of apps to shuffle through. As a result, the vast majority of our applicants never received a response from us - while we would inform applicants if we had positions available when they turned in an application, we just simply didn't have the time to go through and respond to each and every application. I suspect with today's low unemployment that this problem is exacerbated.