Maybe it's this way everywhere, but handymen/women and tradesmen/women suck at getting back to me here (if they even answer you in the first place). First time we've owned a house, so never had to deal with it before (our landlords were all pretty responsive, we've been lucky), is this just the way it is?

Had to call about 6 plumbers before one would even answer me, and then he blew me off after the first time I used him (finally found a good one, and he does HVAC too)

Can't get a mason after calling a few (voicemail on one, another didn't reply, another didn't answer).

Can't find a master gardener despite asking for recommendations multiple places.

Had to call multiple handymen before I got one (and he was substandard) to replace some doors/locks.

Multiple fence companies, same stories.

Appliance repair, same stories.

Haven't needed an electrician yet, just used the one our home warranty company assigned, and they kinda sucked, so not looking forward to our next electrical problem (there will be a next time, our house is 69 years old).

Are they busy enough so they don't need new customers? Do they not care? Frustrating as all hell trying to get things fixed here, do I just need to randomly pick someone off Angie's (or whoever's) List and hope?