Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Went in for dinner a few days ago and there was about 10-12 waiting for a table. Bar area was about 1/2 full so I just grabbed a seat there.

Service was very helpful and friendly. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was darn good. I wasn't hungry enough for sides but I'd definitely order that sandwich again.

I got there around 7 and it was quite busy but when we left around 8:15 it had really emptied out. The bartender said there hasn't been much business after 8, even on weekends.

But otherwise they seem to be doing well. They've done a nice job on their space.
    Maybe they should start closing at 8 pm since it does not get much business

went last night, enjoyed the meet and the atmosphere. Good crowd at 6-6:30.
    will go again

Despite the multiple 'meh' reviews on this thread, the wife and I decided to try this place last night.

We went at a weird time (4:30pm on a Sunday), and there were probably 2 other couples. By the time we left at 6, they were getting steady business, including some take out orders.

We ordered sliced brisket, a half slab of ribs, smoked salmon, smoked turkey, jalapeno cornbread, coleslaw, and elote cream corn. They have 3 sauces (sweet barbecue, spicy barbecue, and carolina barbecue). The Carolina was excellent, sweet was really good too.The Spicy didn't hit right. It was a little too bitter for my taste. We were originally served Brisket Mac n Cheese instead of the coleslaw. I had to flag down another server because ours appeared I think 3 times the whole service. When they brought out the coleslaw, she also took the mac away (not a big deal, but I feel like most places would've let us keep the extra side). Unfortunately, the slaw the worst slaw I've ever tasted. It was just coarsely sliced cabbage in a tasteless sauce. Couldn't make it past 2 bites. The turkey and salmon were cooked well, but had almost no smoke flavor. The brisket, ribs, and cream corn were pretty good though.

Overall experience was also pretty 'meh'. All of the food was lukewarm at best, and mostly bland across the board. Service wasn't great, and personally I don't like the space. There's no barbecue or smoke flavor that hits you when you walk in, and the bare floors and high ceilings just make it look super empty when there aren't many people inside. I know it's early, but we don't live in the area so we probably won't give it another try.

Blog Entries

We've been 3 times since it opened. Each time the food as been good. Each time the service has been shaky to poor. I do like the space but we have only been at sort of prime times when it seems at least a bit busy (twice for lunch and once about 630 at night).

It's a convenient place for us to go so will keep it on our list, but understand the 'meh' reviews as well.

Comprehensive review by the Gazette:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/m...nt?oid=6463871

biggest thing i will say... from opening till now, they have made some changes, and a few of those were ones i suggested on opening day... it's still not a place that i'll include in my regular restaurant rotation... but i do wish them well since they are trying and listening, and will make a trip back at some point

7. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Our food was very good and the service was good. One hitch was the slaw, in this case the sandwich description wasn't clear to me and when it was served, the slaw was gooped in the sandwich, not on the side. I know putting slaw in a sandwich is a thing but they need to make it clear that's how its served. I like slaw but not in the bbq. I asked for a remake and they were fine doing it.

8. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Took a long lunch and gave it a try today. Had sliced brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and the sausage of the day with pork belly collard greens.

All the meats were great. Texture was perfect and all had good flavor. Those of you that followed my BBQ blog know how harsh I was about sliced brisket but I really enjoyed their version. The ribs were also cooked to KCBS competition texture which I prefer.

Only complaint, and it's just because I'm keto, the collards were loaded with potatoes.... At first I thought it was chunks of pork belly and then realized it wasn't before I popped it in my mouth... Otherwise the greens were some of the best I've had anywhere.... The pickled veggies were all good too.

They weren't very busy for lunch. So I hope they make it because the food was good enough I'd make the drive from downtown to eat lunch there again.... Might be a tough road with Clark Crew opening down the road though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9740.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	15623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9737.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	15624 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9736.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	15622 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9738.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	15625

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Took a long lunch and gave it a try today. Had sliced brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and the sausage of the day with pork belly collard greens.

All the meats were great. Texture was perfect and all had good flavor. Those of you that followed my BBQ blog know how harsh I was about sliced brisket but I really enjoyed their version. The ribs were also cooked to KCBS competition texture which I prefer.

Only complaint, and it's just because I'm keto, the collards were loaded with potatoes.... At first I thought it was chunks of pork belly and then realized it wasn't before I popped it in my mouth... Otherwise the greens were some of the best I've had anywhere.... The pickled veggies were all good too.

They weren't very busy for lunch. So I hope they make it because the food was good enough I'd make the drive from downtown to eat lunch there again.... Might be a tough road with Clark Crew opening down the road though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9740.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	15623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9737.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	15624 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9736.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	15622 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9738.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	15625
    Damn! Those pictures look good.

I checked this place late afternoon on Saturday. Service was good and I thought the food was pretty good too. However, I thought it was a bit overpriced. $11 and $14 for sandwiches and the sides cost extra.

BBQ is not cheap. I have no problem paying $11.00 for a good sandwich! You pay for the quality and taste. Sides in most BBQ joints cost extra.

12. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    BBQ is not cheap. I have no problem paying $11.00 for a good sandwich! You pay for the quality and taste. Sides in most BBQ joints cost extra.
    Sides in most of the new BBQ joints are al a carte.... You have to remember that the standard business model for BBQ in Oklahoma has been a 1-3 meat meal with two sides.... That's why ordering at places like Maple's and Deckle's confuses people... Back Door was one of the early places to bring the method of ordering al a carte to OKC BBQ.

There are still places in Texas where you order and pay for your meat at one counter and get your drinks and sides at another... That would cause diners here to have an aneurysm.

Nick Offerman stopped in Monday to check out the BBQ.. sadly they were closed. they posted a pic with him.

I heard a rumor they had closed their doors and just confirmed that news with one of the owners.

Hopefully another operator can take advantage of the significant improvements made to this propety.

15. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

That's a shame... Only had the opportunity to eat there once but everything I had was great.

man that was quick, how long were the open for? less than 6 months?

Opened in early July.

Any reason why? Food, service, visibility, traffic...?

Wow. That was very fast. I didn't get a chance to make it over, but the reviews I heard were a range from outstanding to mediocre. Too bad, really.

It's arguably another case of "too many new restaurants and not enough disposable income."

We'll be seeing a lot more of this, I'm afraid.

On a related note, Bezos has messed up every aspect of CRE in this country, with the notable exception of Industrial.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    It's arguably another case of "too many new restaurants and not enough disposable income."

On a related note, Bezos has messed up every aspect of CRE in this country, with the notable exception of Industrial.
    Psst your tinfoil hat is showing again. Relax bro... Not EVERYTHING needs to be a conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

AGREE w/this. OKC incomes are low and population is not growing fast enough to support the plethora of new, higher end resturants .

From what I understand, they had very high start-up and staff costs.

I believe their sales were decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From what I understand, they had very high start-up and staff costs.

I believe their sales were decent.
    Anecdotal, but I've heard that one of the very top reasons restaurants fail early on is because there's not enough capital behind them to keep going if they have situations like that, or lower business than expected, so they can't just wait it out until things get better.

Interesting insight, the servers showed up today thinking it was a normal work day to find out they no longer had jobs. I was told they were given no heads up at all. The owners probably couldn’t have done anything about it but it’s very unfortunate I feel for these people.

Thread Information