Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

The Village Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Modern barbeque concept coming to N. May Avenue

A new hospitality company is approaching completion of The Smoking Boar near May and Britton Roads in North Oklahoma City.

The team of operating partner Jason Johnson, culinary director Jim Camp and executive chef Boo Hee Newman are making a significant investment in the large 5,000 square foot space to feature a full-service restaurant and large bar area.

Newman was most recently head chef at Cheever's Cafe and Johnson and Camp each have more than 20 years of culinary experience.

While living in Indiana, Johnson visited Oklahoma City and saw great potential in the surging local food and beverage scene.

He describes Smoking Boar as a modern take on barbeque to feature traditional items such as brisket, turkey, and ribs but with a strong emphasis on smoked fish, including salmon which will be a permanent feature of the menu.

Sausage will be from scratch and offered for sale at their front counter.

Sides will be a mix of traditional items and some different, more upscale dishes.

Johnson is planning a robust beverage program with signature cocktails and 40-50 beers offered.

Smoking Boar will be open for dinner and lunch as well as weekend brunches with acoustic music.

The restaurant hopes to open at the end of June or beginning of July at their location directly north of The Ranch Steakhouse.

Default Re: The Smoking Boar

This is not too far from me, hopefully they can live up too their plans.

The Village!

Wow, we were just in there for that Mexican place not too long ago. Hopefully this is a concept that will take hold in this location.

It's a very big building and they are spending a bunch of money in there.

The N. May corridor is such an enigma... Such great population density and high incomes all around yet so many places struggle.

I know Ned's Starlight Lounge is doing very well and that Garage at Britton is just a monster. I suspect it has more to do with the right concept and execution than anything else.

6. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's a very big building and they are spending a bunch of money in there.

The N. May corridor is such an enigma... Such great population density and high incomes all around yet so many places struggle.

I know Ned's Starlight Lounge is doing very well and that Garage at Britton is just a monster. I suspect it has more to do with the right concept and execution than anything else.
    And The Ranch has thrived there for quite a few years in a not so high profile location.

Too bad they can't reorient this building to face Britton. The approach from the parking lot is awkward. I know, they can put a huge sign up and everything but there's just something about a blank wall facing the main thoroughfare that seems off-putting and unwelcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    And The Ranch has thrived there for quite a few years in a not so high profile location.
    We live SW of the airport and the Ranch is our go to steak place as well as our special dinner place. With the lack of any decent higher end places in the SW I44 corridor and SW OKC, the location of the Ranch right off the highway makes it easily accessible and fairly quick to get to.

9. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We live SW of the airport and the Ranch is our go to steak place as well as our special dinner place. With the lack of any decent higher end places in the SW I44 corridor and SW OKC, the location of the Ranch right off the highway makes it easily accessible and fairly quick to get to.
    Can't disagree it's easy to get to but most people don't know it's there and even just driving by it's hard to know what it is or the price point..... If I was to take a guess from the name I would guess rustic furniture store or if I went with the restaurant guess I would assume it's along the lines of a Salt Grass or Texas Road House.... While it's way better than both of those.

Edit: Just pulled it up on Google Street View and noticed the sign does say steakhouse..... Don't remember it saying that when I was there 12-13 years ago.

Can't disagree it's easy to get to but most people don't know it's there and even just driving by it's hard to know what it is or the price point..... If I was to take a guess from the name I would guess rustic furniture store or if I went with the restaurant guess I would assume it's along the lines of a Salt Grass or Texas Road House.... While it's way better than both of those.
    what?????

it is the most successful non chain restaurant in OKC

11. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what?????

it is the most successful non chain restaurant in OKC
    You are missing my point completely.... I'm pretty sure I said it has done very well despite being in what I consider a low profile location.

You are missing my point completely.... I'm pretty sure I said it has done very well.
    if it is the most successful place then your comment is totally off base ... most people DO KNOW IT IS THERE and what it is all about

13. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    if it is the most successful place then your comment is totally off base ... most people DO KNOW IT IS THERE and what it is all about
    Ok... If you say so..... Most people don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I mention it along with Mahogany or Red Prime but they know of those two.

HangryHippo Guest

Ok... If you say so..... Most people don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I mention it along with Mahogany or Red Prime but they know of those two.
    This mirrors my experience, but of course, boulder is always right.

15. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

And for what it's worth.... My point was that high end concepts have, and can, succeed in that area.

The Ranch is a destination restaurant which is very different than this type of place and 99.5% of every other restaurant in town.

17. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

I would have to disagree.... After reading what you posted about Smoking Boar they have the potential to be a destination restaurant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This, both about the Ranch and Boulder

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe it's the industry that I work in, but I don't know a single person that doesn't know what the Ranch is or wouldn't include it in the top steakhouses in the state.

20. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Wow.... Regret even mentioning that a high end concept can work in this area now.

Looking forward to trying the Smoking Boar when it gets open.

The Ranch is a local steakhouse, not a place tourists really come for. But most in Oklahoma know about it, and it is VERY good! People in Dallas, or maybe even Tulsa, may not fully know about it, but no one is saying that diminishes its quality.

The Smoking Boar sounds interesting, and I will have to try it!

Blog Entries

This is funny because it is consistently full, even on what are normally low volume restaurant nights. Given that it is very expensive yet always busy it goes against the idea no one knows about it. Their demographic definitely knows about it.

When I read these kind of assertions it reminds me of Yogi Berra’s Statement (loosely quoted): No one goes there anymore because it is too crowded.

By the way, in the immediate area is Red Rock and Hefner Grille. Both also seem to do well. And just south is Michael’s Grille..upscale and has done very well for a long time.

That building is about 45 years old, IIRC and has had some good, long term restaurant tenants. They have had a run of bad luck the last couple years with groups that looked under-capitalized and slow to open. This concept looks good anyway.

Sad that this building and the retail strip running north were painted stark white over the original dark brown brick less than 12 months ago. Now they painted medium brown over the white.

Wasn't this space formerly home to Pioneer PIes?

Pretty sure Joker's Comedy Club was there for a while as well.

Pioneer Pies was at Hefner and Pennsylvania. Building has been torn down. About 300 feet west of the empty Texaco station that is still standing on the NW corner of the intersection.

Thread Information