Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

I swear it's Sysco-truck Okra. Crazy I was about to say the same.

We have been there a couple times since they reopened from the virus shutdown. Always found the food to be very tasty. That bacon is great. All the BBQ places I go to seem too expensive , but that appears to be the nature of the beast. I have no problem giving it a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    We have been there a couple times since they reopened from the virus shutdown. Always found the food to be very tasty. That bacon is great. All the BBQ places I go to seem too expensive , but that appears to be the nature of the beast. I have no problem giving it a thumbs up.
    I'd pay $13 (or more) for actual BBQ (pork, ribs, whatever), but no way am I doing it for 6 slices of bacon (candied or not) and what looks like pretty standard sides.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'd pay $13 (or more) for actual BBQ (pork, ribs, whatever), but no way am I doing it for 6 slices of bacon (candied or not) and what looks like pretty standard sides.
    So, you haven't been there, you haven't eaten any of the items, and you will never try it because it is $3 more expensive than you would pay for the plate?

So, you haven't been there, you haven't eaten any of the items, and you will never try it because it is $3 more expensive than you would pay for the plate?
    Yep. I can get candied bacon at other places and probably make it myself waaaaay cheaper, I can get Sysco-truck okra anywhere in the metro, and the mac'n'cheese is pretty small and might be worth it, but I can get mac'n'cheese anywhere in the metro and can make my own probably better and cheaper. It's also far enough away that we won't go there for takeout (we don't do dine-in and won't for a long time) because it'd get cold by the time we got home. Not sure what your $3 statement is about, I just said that if I pay $13 for a plate of food at a BBQ restaurant, I'd get pork or beef, not candied bacon. As an aside, we rarely eat outside of the area bounded by NW 63rd, I-235, I-40, and I-44, we have so many options to choose from in that area that we don't need to go looking for places to try that are (by our standards) far away.

Yep. I can get candied bacon at other places and probably make it myself waaaaay cheaper, I can get Sysco-truck okra anywhere in the metro, and the mac'n'cheese is pretty small and might be worth it, but I can get mac'n'cheese anywhere in the metro and can make my own probably better and cheaper. It's also far enough away that we won't go there for takeout (we don't do dine-in and won't for a long time) because it'd get cold by the time we got home. Not sure what your $3 statement is about, I just said that if I pay $13 for a plate of food at a BBQ restaurant, I'd get pork or beef, not candied bacon. As an aside, we rarely eat outside of the area bounded by NW 63rd, I-235, I-40, and I-44, we have so many options to choose from in that area that we don't need to go looking for places to try that are (by our standards) far away.
    So you won't try it based off one review from a news outlet known for exaggeration and biting sarcasm (mixed with some decent reporting)? I would at least look at Yelp and Google reviews before writing a place off.

7. Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Went there last week. Very happy with everything. I thought the okra was hand-battered. I didn't think it was Sysco truck okra (but I've been wrong before). Mac and Cheese was excellent. Had the ribs which were perfect and chopped brisket which was also great (although I prefer to evaluate brisket sliced). Got to talk with the new owner/manager and had a great talk. They smoke with pecan. They were planning on offering slice brisket soon after brisket prices stabilize. He even gave me a sample of their spice mix which I used on my own stuff over the weekend and loved it. Can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    So you won't try it based off one review from a news outlet known for exaggeration and biting sarcasm (mixed with some decent reporting)? I would at least look at Yelp and Google reviews before writing a place off.
    Jesus, really? It's just too far for us to go to, we're not going to bother, we have dozens of restaurants that are closer to us and we really want to go to that are prioritized over some random BBQ place that's not in our regular area. If the food ends up to be the most spectacular BBQ ever in OKC (and Roger S. says it's absolutely wonderful ), we'll give it a try, but for now, it's not even under consideration. And I usually do look at Google/Yelp, I wasn't relying on Louis' crap review, his food "reviews" are worthless, I was commenting on the price and what the food looked like for the price. Just give it a rest, people....

9. Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

(and Roger S. says it's absolutely wonderful ),
    LOL.... Well I do want to give it a try but it took me almost 5 months to get around to trying Clark Crew in the current climate..... I do however need to run up to Lucky Lure and pick up some fishing stuff.... So a pickup order at Pig & Butcher could happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    LOL.... Well I do want to give it a try but it took me almost 5 months to get around to trying Clark Crew in the current climate..... I do however need to run up to Lucky Lure and pick up some fishing stuff.... So a pickup order at Pig & Butcher could happen soon.
    Ha, keep us posted!

And speaking of Clark Crew, thanks for the reminder, we need to put them on our weekly takeout list, should be way better than last week's BTT slop (grease and liquid dripping out of every taco we got, no matter what kind it was, so it's The Mayan or OSO from now on for tacos)...

So, any of our resident BBQ experts tried it yet? Need to go to Britton/May tomorrow for something and was thinking about going here.

12. Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

So, any of our resident BBQ experts tried it yet? Need to go to Britton/May tomorrow for something and was thinking about going here.
    Tried it a few months ago and thought it was solid the day I was there..... Will definitely be a lunch stop for me any time I need to go to Lucky Lure for fishing gear.

Tried it a few months ago and thought it was solid the day I was there..... Will definitely be a lunch stop for me any time I need to go to Lucky Lure for fishing gear.
    Was hoping you'd reply, thanks, we'll give it a shot! Oh, did you try the okra, and was it Syscokra?

14. Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Was hoping you'd reply, thanks, we'll give it a shot! Oh, did you try the okra, and was it Syscokra?
    I don't even remember what sides I had that day... I was there in June I think..... I don't really know anywhere not using food service okra though.... To little manpower for that amount of prep work.

I just remember that I enjoyed everything I had.

Good to hear. I've been thinking about dropping by to pick up some sides for when I cook, so this is encouraging. Still haven't made it over there yet, and I'm only a few blocks away!

... I don't really know anywhere not using food service okra though.... To little manpower for that amount of prep work.
    One more reason to mourn Irma's.

Man, I've gotta start picking better restaurants. Not sure if this was a bad day at Pig & Butcher, or just the way they are - pulled pork had way too many big chunks of fat in it, the beans tasted *exactly* like someone opened a can of Brooks Chili Beans and gave them to me (we use Brooks Chili Hot Beans for our chili, so I know what it tastes like, mac'n'cheese should be called mac'n'bechamel because it had almost no cheese taste. Wife agreed on the beans, but really liked the corn, though. Oh well, fulfilled its purpose of filling us up at least.

The IRS has filed a tax lien against this business for $60K.

The same ownership group (Rogers Concepts) recently closed XO Lounge, Red Dragon Express and the Yo Pablo at 33rd & Boulevard in Edmond.

Also own Steak the Experience which just lost its executive chef.

Looks like there is a big shakeup in progress.

You may recall that Rogers ran a couple of Bricktown Clubs (Pink Parrot, Glam some others) before suddenly going wild with expansion and new concepts.

^

And just as I posted that, this popped up on Facebook.

I suspect Pig & Butcher will be closed very soon, probably by the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The IRS has filed a tax lien against this business for $60K.

The same ownership group (Rogers Concepts) recently closed XO Lounge, Red Dragon Express and the Yo Pablo at 33rd & Boulevard in Edmond.

Also own Steak the Experience which just lost its executive chef.

Looks like there is a big shakeup in progress.

You may recall that Rogers ran a couple of Bricktown Clubs (Pink Parrot, Glam some others) before suddenly going wild with expansion and new concepts.
    :

It was only a matter of time

With deference to all the BFD-121-Kansas City- Dry Hump-Green Grill-Hell Pit-Certified BBQ Master Judges....I thought the food was pretty good. They would make a baked potato I wanted them to call the "Death Row Potato". Overflowing with their good candied bacon, butter, sour cream and cheddar cheese. It was a pretty good bet it was gonna kill me sooner than Roger Dale Stafford would get the needle.

22. Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

With deference to all the BFD-121-Kansas City- Dry Hump-Green Grill-Hell Pit-Certified BBQ Master Judges....I thought the food was pretty good.
    I am a certified BBQ judge and I thought it was pretty good too the couple of times I ate there.

Wouldn't have won any awards at a BBQ competition but competition Q and commercial Q might as well be apples and oranges.

I am a certified BBQ judge and I thought it was pretty good too the couple of times I ate there.

Wouldn't have won any awards at a BBQ competition but competition Q and commercial Q might as well be apples and oranges.
    I completely agree with you.

How are these restaurant groups being financed? I'd guess by individual investors? There's no way a bank would loan to them with their history of unpaid taxes and broken leases. Rogers Concepts obviously had a big influx of cash a couple of years ago to allow them to open all of these new concepts. Is the thought to just throw everything against the wall and see what sticks? If it doesn't work then just don't pay anything and bankrupt the business? Then on to the next one? Hope that the successful businesses outweigh the failures? It would make any investor uneasy to see them drive around in $300k G Wagons and other exotic cars knowing nothing is being paid.

I know someone that invested in a different local restaurant group and they were only in a single location but had the opportunity to invest in new locations as well.

I was told tomorrow (Saturday) will be the last day for this restaurant.

Thread Information