Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Reading the Gazette’s August review, they were extremely top-heavy with management. Two partners (Johnson & Hammill), a culinary director (Camp), executive chef (Newman), and an undefined position (Pastorello). If they’re all on the payroll, that’s a lot of expensive firepower for a BBQ restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Reading the Gazette’s August review, they were extremely top-heavy with management. Two partners (Johnson & Hammill), a culinary director (Camp), executive chef (Newman), and an undefined position (Pastorello). If they’re all on the payroll, that’s a lot of expensive firepower for a BBQ restaurant.
    I would hope that the two partners were not getting paid, if they were being paid that early on it's no surprise it failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From what I understand, they had very high start-up and staff costs.

I believe their sales were decent.
    i don't know how well their evenings were... but me and some friends went a few times for lunch, but was never able to make it an hour lunch, it was always over... so that is why we stopped going, just couldn't make it work in the lunch hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    Interesting insight, the servers showed up today thinking it was a normal work day to find out they no longer had jobs. I was told they were given no heads up at all. The owners probably couldn’t have done anything about it but it’s very unfortunate I feel for these people.
    Even if they knew ahead of time, I've heard from people in the restaurant industry say they often times will not give heads up because when they've done it before, the employees ended up stealing from them. In one story, the owner gave his employees heads up thinking that he was doing the right thing and being considerate. But then he showed up to the restaurant after close one evening and there was a UHaul parked out back taking stuff from the restaurant.

Wow that was fast. Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Even if they knew ahead of time, I've heard from people in the restaurant industry say they often times will not give heads up because when they've done it before, the employees ended up stealing from them. In one story, the owner gave his employees heads up thinking that he was doing the right thing and being considerate. But then he showed up to the restaurant after close one evening and there was a UHaul parked out back taking stuff from the restaurant.
    Wow that is crazy, thanks for that perspective. In that case it would definitely make sense to not give a heads up. I have no opinion as I never got to eat here while they were open but I have heard that management never treated employees great in general. I never saw it, just what I have heard from one of the servers. The bigger point I was making was that it would be extremely unfortunate to show up and not have a job with no notice or time to make other job arrangements. But I guess that's the real world and may the best restaurant/servers win.

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    Wow that is crazy, thanks for that perspective. In that case it would definitely make sense to not give a heads up. I have no opinion as I never got to eat here while they were open but I have heard that management never treated employees great in general. I never saw it, just what I have heard from one of the servers. The bigger point I was making was that it would be extremely unfortunate to show up and not have a job with no notice or time to make other job arrangements. But I guess that's the real world and may the best restaurant/servers win.
    Oh no doubt. It's just an unfortunate situation all around. I got to eat there once and I thought the food was pretty good but I do think that it was a bit on the pricier side. Sounds like the bigger issue was the giant money hole they dug themselves to begin with though.

8. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

I can't imagine spending all the money to remodel a building and set up a new restaurant and then close so fast. I never even had a chance to try it. I do wish more moderately priced restaurants would open. The pricey ones are way out of my budgets.

Blog Entries

There is a large new electronic billboard at NW 122nd and Rockwell and they have an ad for lease of the location.

The tables still have all of their setups still in place. I drove by when I stopped in at A1 Pet Emporium and looked in the windows.

So....this has to have been a money laundering scheme right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    No.

My understanding is there was just far too much in up-front costs and their pay structure was too high.

They had decent business, just couldn't make it cash flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    If that were the case, they'd still be open.

Word on Facebook on one of the Village pages is that another BBQ place is moving in - The Pig & Butcher BBQ & Brews...

Something going on there. Drove by this morning and the name portion of the signage has been painted over in a careful manner. Two workmen looking dudes standing by the front door smoking a cig.

Default Re: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D36A7D42-CDD9-413D-A8BE-90AF96AEE0D0.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	15785

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D36A7D42-CDD9-413D-A8BE-90AF96AEE0D0.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	15785
    That's too bad. I really liked that image on the brick wall. I'm sure they've got something else to put up, but that boar was kind of cool.

The Pig & the Butcher opens Saturday, March 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Pig & the Butcher opens Saturday, March 14th.
    Has anyone tried it?

They had to push back their opening, or I couldn't imagine having a grand opening of to go/curbside.

They have reopened for carryout:

Wife and I happened to go there the night before the shutdown. We were about the last people to arrive. I don't think they had been open 5 days. Liked the food and I sure am pulling for them. Mainly because of how they got shut down almost before they began.

https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/08/...d-the-butcher/

$13 for 6 slices of candied bacon, (what looks like) Sysco-truck okra, and a 5-bite mac'n'cheese cup?

Thread Information