Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pig & Butcher (formerly the Smoking Boar)

Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wasn't this space formerly home to Pioneer PIes?

Pretty sure Joker's Comedy Club was there for a while as well.
    Shotgun Sams? Haha.

I think Lido was there for a bit, too, right?

Yes, I think it was Lido, or some other Asian buffet was there for many years. In the 1970s it was some kinda pizza, or something else family-friendly place. Maybe it was Shotgun Sam's.

The Pioneer Pies location on Hefner I was referring to earlier was a Shakey's Pizza in the late 70s, when we would hang out in the parking lot weekend nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    The Pioneer Pies location on Hefner I was referring to earlier was a Shakey's Pizza in the late 70s, when we would hang out in the parking lot weekend nights.
    I think maybe Papa Dio's did some time in that location in the 80s, too.

Totally forgot about Shakey's...

The Ranch is a destination restaurant which is very different than this type of place and 99.5% of every other restaurant in town.
    Desmond Mason says it's his favorite steakhouse in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Yes, I think it was Lido, or some other Asian buffet was there for many years. In the 1970s it was some kinda pizza, or something else family-friendly place. Maybe it was Shotgun Sam's.

I remember it as Kim Wah in the mid-2000's. Was sad when they shut down, but by that point I wasn't going there often anymore due to no longer working in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is funny because it is consistently full, even on what are normally low volume restaurant nights. Given that it is very expensive yet always busy it goes against the idea no one knows about it. Their demographic definitely knows about it.

When I read these kind of assertions it reminds me of Yogi Berra’s Statement (loosely quoted): No one goes there anymore because it is too crowded.

By the way, in the immediate area is Red Rock and Hefner Grille. Both also seem to do well. And just south is Michael’s Grille..upscale and has done very well for a long time.
    For what it's worth, I'd heard about The Ranch but had absolutely no clue where it was. I kinda assumed it was out west on Reno somewhere. That said, I'm most likely not in their target demographic, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Didn't this place used to be Kim Wah?

Never heard of it. Will have to try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Didn't this place used to be Kim Wah?
    Yes, and then it was going to be Red Beret (or maroon beret?) French/Morrocan, and then it was Mamaveca's Mexican

so this place opened today. and i was there right at opening. i got their special today which was 1/4 lbs chopped brisket, 1/4lbs turkey, two ribs and two sides for $14. my buddy got the same thing with different sides, so we could try as much as possible. The meat was across the board okay... none of it was bad in any way. just kind of meh. got a starter of the jalapeno corn bread, and it was pretty good. as for the sides, i tried fried okra, potato salad, mac and cheese, and creamed corn. the potato salad was (again) about middle of the road, it was tasty and i ate all of it, but it wasn't something that jumped out as a must get if i go back. the Okra was fresh and had a good flavor two it. the Mac and Cheese was the biggest disappointment of the whole meal. it seemed like it was just a runny cheese sauce with little to no flavor on macaroni shells. all you really tasted was the macaroni. the absolute standout of the meal was the creamed corn. it was seasoned very well, and tasted excellent. it was the one thing i had today, that i said i would need to get when i go back.

as for the atmosphere, it was loud, but bearable, but was also only half full, so i'm kind of concerned about how loud it could get when full. the Bar looks amazing, it's in the middle of the room with a gorgeous wooden bar wrapped around it. there looked to be 6 draft beers, with 4 being local, a bunch of Oklahoma beers in bottles and cans, as well as a handful of other craft beers, and a few domestics. their custom cocktails looked interesting to me, and i will be back to try a few of them.

So my review is that i will be back to check out the very pretty bar and have a few cocktails, and some more creamed corn, and will try a few other things on the menu (as i didn't get to try the pulled pork). and hope that experience gets me to think of this place as a regular location to stop at.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    so this place opened today. and i was there right at opening. i got their special today which was 1/4 lbs chopped brisket, 1/4lbs turkey, two ribs and two sides for $14. my buddy got the same thing with different sides, so we could try as much as possible. The meat was across the board okay... none of it was bad in any way. just kind of meh. got a starter of the jalapeno corn bread, and it was pretty good. as for the sides, i tried fried okra, potato salad, mac and cheese, and creamed corn. the potato salad was (again) about middle of the road, it was tasty and i ate all of it, but it wasn't something that jumped out as a must get if i go back. the Okra was fresh and had a good flavor two it. the Mac and Cheese was the biggest disappointment of the whole meal. it seemed like it was just a runny cheese sauce with little to no flavor on macaroni shells. all you really tasted was the macaroni. the absolute standout of the meal was the creamed corn. it was seasoned very well, and tasted excellent. it was the one thing i had today, that i said i would need to get when i go back.

as for the atmosphere, it was loud, but bearable, but was also only half full, so i'm kind of concerned about how loud it could get when full. the Bar looks amazing, it's in the middle of the room with a gorgeous wooden bar wrapped around it. there looked to be 6 draft beers, with 4 being local, a bunch of Oklahoma beers in bottles and cans, as well as a handful of other craft beers, and a few domestics. their custom cocktails looked interesting to me, and i will be back to try a few of them.

So my review is that i will be back to check out the very pretty bar and have a few cocktails, and some more creamed corn, and will try a few other things on the menu (as i didn't get to try the pulled pork). and hope that experience gets me to think of this place as a regular location to stop at.
    I heard from someone else who went this week that was not impressed. Generally in the same vein as your experience, if a bit more harsh. Unfortunately, it sounds as if the north side still needs a good BBQ restaurant.

dupe

13. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

Yeah the Mathis Brothers restaurant is really really good! Referring to the Ranch
    Last edited by fromdust; 07-07-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: ..

Looking at the floors, they are ugly and looked old...thank you for the reviews, it looks like I will not be going there, it is a shame, Oklahoma City needs more good bbq places! The only good bbq places are Van's Pig Stand and Maples....

15. Default Re: The Smoking Boar

I'm willing to let them operate for a couple of weeks and then give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    Looking at the floors, they are ugly and looked old...thank you for the reviews, it looks like I will not be going there, it is a shame, Oklahoma City needs more good bbq places! The only good bbq places are Van's Pig Stand and Maples....
    Yes, I , too, choose restaurants based on the aesthetics of the floors...

Blog Entries

Yes, the standard for a quality bbq joint is great floors. 😊

I believe they stripped the old tile and then stained and sealed the concrete.

Blog Entries

My son went Saturday for lunch and said he enjoyed it - didn't get much details but his view was more positive than negative. I plan to give it a shot.

Getting very good reviews on Yelp.

I really want to try the smoked salmon, which is one of their specialties.

my experience wasn't negative (except for the mac and cheese)... it just also wasn't great either.. i'm going back this evening to sit at the bar and try a few cocktails, and if i'm there i will eat. but nothing on the menu so far would make me drive out of my way to go there. i work in this area so will frequent, but probably never make a trip on a weekend or something

I went today for lunch and overall enjoyed it. I got the brisket sandwich and shared 2 sides (fries and baked beans). The biggest negative for me was the sandwich and fries with a water was ~$17 before tip, which is over my normal workday lunch budget. The place was packed, however and the remodel was very nice. I'll go back and try the meats by the pound to get a better feel for it, but I have a hunch this place will stick around for awhile.

Blog Entries

^ Just about the exact experience for me yesterday. I got the big sandwich and it was $15 plus a $5 side. Others with me got the lunch special which was $13 including sides (portions were not large ). I'd definitely go back, but it is higher end on pricing than a lot of places. Agree that the remodel is nice. I did think i was in Europe when they kept giving me iced tea with almost no ice.

Went in for dinner a few days ago and there was about 10-12 waiting for a table. Bar area was about 1/2 full so I just grabbed a seat there.

Service was very helpful and friendly. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was darn good. I wasn't hungry enough for sides but I'd definitely order that sandwich again.

I got there around 7 and it was quite busy but when we left around 8:15 it had really emptied out. The bartender said there hasn't been much business after 8, even on weekends.

But otherwise they seem to be doing well. They've done a nice job on their space.

Went in for dinner a few days ago and there was about 10-12 waiting for a table. Bar area was about 1/2 full so I just grabbed a seat there.

Service was very helpful and friendly. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was darn good. I wasn't hungry enough for sides but I'd definitely order that sandwich again.

I got there around 7 and it was quite busy but when we left around 8:15 it had really emptied out. The bartender said there hasn't been much business after 8, even on weekends.

But otherwise they seem to be doing well. They've done a nice job on their space.
    well good to hear dinner might be going well... i have been in three times now at lunch, and at most there was 20 people (including the 4 at my table) at lunch

Thread Information