Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local meteorologists

Default Re: Local meteorologists

Yes, I do not understand what this means exactly. Unless somehow the local mets are getting access to the actual warning initiation process, which I doubt - but I am unfamiliar with this news.

In Oklahoma this doesn't mean much since if there are tornadic storms, people are generally paying attention. I don't think there is many people in 2020 who rely strictly on a NOAA weather radio.

How often does TV meteorologist declare warnings actually happen when NWS doesn't declare first or at the same time? The NWS are watching the same three main stations in their command center so they would immediately declare the warning once a station declares its own warning. Its more likely the NWS will catch something that the stations miss because the stations are fixated on a storm heading towards the metro area.

3. Default Re: Local meteorologists

I've seen the Weather Channel technology catch rotations before the NWS. They don't formally use the term tornado warning that l recall, but tell people to take immediate tornado precautions and discuss if it appears on the ground our not (debris ball, direction, communities in the path, etc.). Then the NWS usually catches it a few seconds to minutes later.

Who is the new weather girl on channel 4?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Who is the new weather girl on channel 4?
    Sarah Libby has been on Kfor off and on for Years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Because there were none of those spinning things to track
    Right. Channel 5 said OKC has only had one tornado watch.

I saw Steve Carano on KOCO's news this morning. When did he come back? Does that mean they dumped Eric Garlick?

Mike Morgan isn't good at predicting highs, either. He said 100s were going to start every day for a while by now. They haven't but I'm not complaining about it.

9. Default Re: Local meteorologists

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Mike Morgan isn't good at predicting highs, either. He said 100s were going to start every day for a while by now. They haven't but I'm not complaining about it.
    It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we don’t hit 100.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    I saw Steve Carano on KOCO's news this morning. When did he come back? Does that mean they dumped Eric Garlick?
    Steve has been a fill-in guy for weekends for years, it may just mean someone is on vacation. Eric is still listed on KOCO's site: https://www.koco.com/news-team/050d2...-98397bd0f7cc#

KOCO did recently hire a new meteorologist from KFSM 5 in NW Arkansas, Sabrina Bates...she may be transitioning to weekend mornings?
    https://twitter.com/5newssabrina?lang=en

Wife's been watching Ch. 9 at noon to get COVID-19 updates, and I noticed something odd about Cassie something's accent - she says "panhandle" as "peenhandle", and then today, Justin somebody was the meteorologist and he pronounced "Kansas" as "Keensas". Don't know if either are from OK, but if so, I don't think I've ever heard that type of pronunciation as part of an Okie accent before, weird.

She's from Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    She's from Kentucky.
    Gotcha, thx, guess I should've looked up her bio, she's from Bowling Green, and just looked up Justin and he's from Indianapolis, so guess it's a regional one from there, interesting coincidence...

I like Jon slater over at KFOR used to follow him on fb but he seems to have closed up up shop on there

15. Default Re: Local meteorologists

For those that may not have seen it, Mike Morgan's sister died of COVID so he's out for a while.

I noticed that Eric Garlick is no longer with KOCO. Eric's replacement is a Tulsa/Broken Arrow transplant and OU grad named Taylor Cox.

Much love to the local weather folks! That said, Damien Lodes, Newschannel 4, your comma game is not strong. Instead of just leaving them floating around randomly (btw, there is no situation in which a comma will sensibly have blank spaces before it, or on both sides simultaneously) so my suggestion is to simply eliminate them from your daily graphics. Your information will be cleaner.

Much love to the local weather folks! That said, Damien Lodes, Newschannel 4, your comma game is not strong. Instead of just leaving them floating around randomly (btw, there is no situation in which a comma will sensibly have blank spaces before it, or on both sides simultaneously) so my suggestion is to simply eliminate them from your daily graphics. Your information will be cleaner.

It looks like Fox 25 is down two meteorologists. Danielle Davis was dismissed for a slip of the tongue (there's a posted YouTube video for all to see) and Chief Meteorologist, Jeff George, is leaving for Florida. It will be interesting to see who will fill their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It looks like Fox 25 is down two meteorologists. Danielle Davis was dismissed for a slip of the tongue (there's a posted YouTube video for all to see) and Chief Meteorologist, Jeff George, is leaving for Florida. It will be interesting to see who will fill their positions.
    In fairness to Danielle, she had already put in her resignation weeks before the incident so she was already on her way out, but her slip did accelerate things.

With all the people who complain about how over-the-top our main weatherpeople are (and rightfully so), Jeff was by far the most calm-headed and straight-forward. He was also one of the most fun people to work with in my years in the business. Obviously FOX has a severe disadvantage in terms of weather resources, but I'd still take his calm approach to the others any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I thought letting her go faster went overboard. Because she was talking about the weather, not politics.

Blog Entries

It is interesting to see the former OKC weather folks when I am in other markets - Rick Mitchell in Dallas and Dan Threlkeld in Tulsa are examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I thought letting her go faster went overboard. Because she was talking about the weather, not politics.
    Maybe she left faster on her own because she was annoyed that you can't get tongue tied without people putting words in your mouth?

I saw the youtube video. I can't understand where she said whatever she said, my computer speakers are crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I saw the youtube video. I can't understand where she said whatever she said, my computer speakers are crappy.
    Probably the majority of people with good speakers who saw it didn't even notice it.

Thread Information