Widgets Magazine

Thread: bicycle trails for slowpokes?

Default bicycle trails for slowpokes?

So where's the best place for a cyclist to leisurely amble without getting rundown by those who feel the need for speed? What are the paths at Lake Overholser like?

Default Re: bicycle trails for slowpokes?

Keyboard - there’s no minimum speed. Get on your bike and enjoy yourself, but stay to the right if you’re moving at a leisurely pace.

3. Default Re: bicycle trails for slowpokes?

Spring Creek Trail at Lake Arcadia in Edmond is great for that.

I may want in on this. I'd have to get my bike looked at first though...

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Spring Creek Trail at Lake Arcadia in Edmond is great for that.
    If the slow poke can handle the hills.

If going truly slow, Mitch Park is a good place. You can add the route under the powerlines across Kelly as it is always empty. But in my experience, as long as you share the trail, you shouldn't have any issues going slow regardless of which trails you ride. There are some trails that are terrible for going fast, like Mitch Park, though.

I used to ride around Lake Hefner several times a week with no problems and I am NOT a fast rider.

Blog Entries

It's only the slowpokes that ride side by side that create problems. Just stay to the right and ride straight without zig zagging unpredictably across the path. I know this sounds simplistic, but on weekends around Hefner some casual riders ride over into the walking paths, ride side by side with their young kids blocking the path, and others ride and gawk at the beautiful scenery causing them to wander from side to side on the paths. Theycreate lots of near misses. I've actually called out "on your left" to announce my approach, only to have them yank themselves left. LOL. Guess some people don't know their left from their right.

The trails along the Oklahoma River are never very busy and many that use that system take their sweet time (and I mean that in a good way).

9. Default Re: bicycle trails for slowpokes?

I’m a former racer. I’m also a former longtime member and past officer of the Oklahoma Bicycle Society. My years of major involvement with OBS was during the time we fought for the trail system. We wanted the system for EVERYONE. If you’re going slower than others be observant and considerate and stay to the right but DO NOT not ride because you’re not as fast as others. Yeah, there are going to be jerks that think the fastest riders own the trail but that’s their problem.

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. Now I just need to get my bicycle in working order. True story, a long time ago in another state, I went for a bike ride on a first date. There I was, in a girly-girl top and jeans, ready to slow-poke along a tree-lined trail. Then my date showed up in a tight spandex, bumblebee yellow bike outfit, water bottle strapped to his leg. I knew I was in trouble!

Highly recommend the river trails. Much less crowded than Hefner.

12. Default Re: bicycle trails for slowpokes?

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    Highly recommend the river trails. Much less crowded than Hefner.
    Very true

Thread Information