Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New State Burgers & Spirits

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: New State Burgers & Spirits

I love the bar stools.

Can't wait for the official opening! These guys are going to do a fantastic job. They're planning on having the impossible burger on the menu too, IIRC. Assuming they can source it somehow, my wife and I will be there entirely too often!

I went last night and we were able to get in immediately at the bar for dinner. The burger is almost identical to Au Cheval in Chicago (that was once voted the best burger in the US). Everything went smoothly and the service was great, really look forward to going back. This is definitely one of the best burgers in the city.

There is actually a huge back yard as part of their property but my understanding is they want to get up and running before they think about adding that space.

It has the potential to be really cool and their interior is already beautiful.

There is actually a huge back yard as part of their property but my understanding is they want to get up and running before they think about adding that space.

It has the potential to be really cool and their interior is already beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love the bar stools.
    I love the description on the Steak Frites

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I love the description on the Steak Frites
    I hadn't noticed, but that's, well, perfect! haha

The space is really nice, I will have to give it a try!

I stopped by this past weekend. I enjoyed the food, but the service was spotty. Got free mimosas, and a free order of fries out of it though.

I had the cheeseburger with bacon and egg with fries, and tried a friends cucumber slaw.

Cheeseburger was good. Pretzel bun, which isn't my favorite. The bacon was closer to the form factor/consistency of pork belly than bacon. Fries were beer battered, and lacked salt. Cucumber slaw was fresh, and I thought it could have used some more dressing.

I tried it over the weekend and I think its one of the best burgers you can get in this city. To the above post, I am quite certain that its not a pretzel bun, I thought it was your standard burger bun, toasted just right. It is a simple burger but executed really well, not some piled high with toppings type of burger thats hard to eat. It is an intimate space and tables are close to each other but the design turned out nicely and it has a very good bar set up. Prices are also very reasonable, only a few items in double digits.

I really want to get back and try more things but I think this will be a hit. Good spot for lunch, dinner and late night drinks and food.

OMG I detest beer battered French fries. WTF really? Why is this still a thing?

12. Default Re: New State Burgers & Spirits

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Because it's the best way to eat fries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I am guessing most of the people they asked like them. I am sure they have non-beer battered fries (not sure, though). I like them a lot (never had this place's).

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I tried it over the weekend and I think its one of the best burgers you can get in this city. To the above post, I am quite certain that its not a pretzel bun, I thought it was your standard burger bun, toasted just right. It is a simple burger but executed really well, not some piled high with toppings type of burger thats hard to eat. It is an intimate space and tables are close to each other but the design turned out nicely and it has a very good bar set up. Prices are also very reasonable, only a few items in double digits.

I really want to get back and try more things but I think this will be a hit. Good spot for lunch, dinner and late night drinks and food.
    If it indeed wasn't pretzel then it was toasted too long. While there was no scoring of the bread, it had pretzel bun like qualities such as dark color, heavily buttered, and became harder to chew the closer I got to the burger itself. My friends ordered the black bean burger and got what looked more like a regular bun. It's still a good burger though, and there aren't any other burger places in the area. Should do well.

I made a mistake and ordered the gravy and fries burger. While it was good, I didn't really get a good sense for "are their burgers good?" My wife ordered the chicken thighs and they were good, but not worth a trip by themselves. We left feeling as though we missed out on better menu items.

Went tonight after work.

Absolutely love the space. Intimate, nice but casual and has a very friendly feel.

Had the basic chesseburger. I liked it but the flavors were just too bland for me. It's a lot of meat and cheese and bread and not much else. I liked it but didn't love it. Fries were good but nothing special.

But some of the best service I've had anywhere. For only 40 seats or so, they must have had at least 8 people working behind the bar and in the front of house. Very friendly in the 'we're-really-glad-to-be-here' way, not some sort of forced politeness.

The number of waitstaff and the small space means several people standing behind the bar and in the corridor that leads to the restrooms. Place was about 2/3rd full but everything felt a bit too tight.

I'll definitely go back and try something different from their menu. Just a great little place and I loved the vibe even though it is slightly cramped.

This place continues to deliver arguably the best burger I have had in OKC. It has surpassed Nic's on Penn as my personal favorite.

Now they have chicken nuggets, which are pretty good too. Small menu but they do it all well.

I got takeout here during lockdown a couple of months ago. The burgers are seriously near the top of my list of great Oklahoma burgers.

I thought the bun was too hard, maybe opening issues?

They are expanding into the space to the west:

22. Default Re: New State Burgers & Spirits

I still haven't made it here. After looking at the menu it seems a bit limited. Do they run specialty burgers and such too?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I still haven't made it here. After looking at the menu it seems a bit limited. Do they run specialty burgers and such too?
    Fairly limited but occasionally have specialty burgers/drinks going on. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and am happy for this news- but after seeing a $90 tab for a cheeseburger date with a couple of drinks I decided in 2023 I need to be a better steward of my finances lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Fairly limited but occasionally have specialty burgers/drinks going on. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and am happy for this news- but after seeing a $90 tab for a cheeseburger date with a couple of drinks I decided in 2023 I need to be a better steward of my finances lmao.
    This is why I rarely dine out anymore.

I dine out once or twice a week, and just ordering for myself two beers and a lower priced entree routinely I end up with a $30+ tab before tax and tip. $40 for a meal is getting pretty steep.

Thread Information