Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - May 2019

1. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2019

just drove home from Baptist Hosp. area to Danforth/I-35 area and temp difference was 16 cooler in Edmond. Crazy boundary. Keep moving south Mr. boundary!

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    David Payne will be on the Flood Warning now and straight line winds (should've been all along). They can land a Man on the Moon, but they can't tell that Colder air was going to push through? We have some crappy Weather models out there.
    It is easier to land on the moon. It's been in the same orbit for billions of years. Predicting cascading events with changing variables is difficult.

I think funding for NOAA has been an issue dont have the latest and greatest tech.

Anything going to happen tomorrow/later this week?

This thread is giving me flashbacks to Inhofe and his snowball.

I figured this weather event would mainly be about the rain. Stillwater missed the afternoon rain, but getting it now.

So I’m guessing no rain for the metro? At least nowhere close to the 9 inches Payne was still forecasting earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I figured this weather event would mainly be about the rain. Stillwater missed the afternoon rain, but getting it now.

Well i did get one thing accomplished on this so-called PDS day. It got me motivated to clean out my storm shelter and restock it ......so theres that!!!

The front, looking at the images on Ch9 radar.looks like it is literally crossing WRWA and creeping down I240 in SW OKC.

As others have mentioned. The cold pool from the constant convection in the NW has altered the boundaries to be vasty different than morning forecasts indicated. All storms approaching OKC at this time are not surface-based, but are severe.

We should see these storms come through. Then a break with a second round of storms late overnight that comes out from NW TX and SW OK.

The storms are literally trying their hardest to avoid the metro. Not a single solitary storm is headed to the metro. Kinda pathetic, actually. Not even rain.

Blog Entries

Got winds around 60 and absolutely POURING in far NW OKC. West and NW going to get hammered with rain - further south may not get a lot. Fine line between flooding and not a lot.

"The storms are literally trying their hardest to avoid the metro. Not a single solitary storm is headed to the metro. Kinda pathetic, actually. Not even rain."

Not sure what radar YOU are looking at. I see a whole line of storms slowly moving east...and uh...on the maps I grew up with, OKC right in the middle.
    Its like you are the one who stops at car wrecks on the highway in hopes of seeing blood.

Be grateful you are in a state where you can be prepared and disappointed instead of surprised and....dead.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    "The storms are literally trying their hardest to avoid the metro. Not a single solitary storm is headed to the metro. Kinda pathetic, actually. Not even rain."

Not sure what radar YOU are looking at. I see a whole line of storms slowly moving east...and uh...on the maps I grew up with, OKC right in the middle.
    Its like you are the one who stops at car wrecks on the highway in hopes of seeing blood.

Be grateful you are in a state where you can be prepared and disappointed instead of surprised and....dead.
    Oh, I am grateful. But I do hate that the meteorologists use doom and gloom language to scare people (all a ratings ploy, in my opinion). And now, MWC, where I live, will literally not see a drop from the storm of the year, as some called it. Just wish they would hold off on the armageddon predictions. Tell people to be aware, but don't scare people.

I know the government funded National Weather Service is just trying to get their Facebook page views up to monetize their social media.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Oh, I am grateful. But I do hate that the meteorologists use doom and gloom language to scare people (all a ratings ploy, in my opinion). And now, MWC, where I live, will literally not see a drop from the storm of the year, as some called it. Just wish they would hold off on the armageddon predictions. Tell people to be aware, but don't scare people.

but with a majority of the population desensitized to absolutely everything....you HAVE to use that language anymore....to get some kind of response...

Shifting now to a serious flash flood threat overnight. I had thought that was a bigger possibility with the lack of clearing and daytime heating. Just didn’t have the right set up for very many discreet supercells.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    but with a majority of the population desensitized to absolutely everything....you HAVE to use that language anymore....to get some kind of response...
    It's a catch 22. You have to use hyperbole, but the hyperbole not living up to it desensitizes people.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Shifting now to a serious flash flood threat overnight. I had thought that was a bigger possibility with the lack of clearing and daytime heating. Just didn’t have the right set up for very many discreet supercells.
    The National severe storms labs and the Storm prediction center seemed to think so or they wouldnt have made that ominous forecast. They thought even with the cloud deck and no heating there would be enough instability with the warm front coming through and all the shear in the atmosphere to overcome that. They were as confident as i have ever heard them in their wording that this would be a major tornado outbreak. I will end this with saying i am thankful it was a huge bust.

Jonny D im a fellow Midwest city resident as well. I couldnt agree with you more. I heard things today that frankly kinda got me nervous, like multiple rounds of super-cell T-storms, gigantic hail, 80 mph straight line winds, large destructive long-track tornadoes, historic flooding, every category of severe type weather was at the highest level and we havent seen this type of event in several years. That is hype to the extreme and if we are that de-sensitized that it takes that kind of language to make us get off our butt and be pro-active then that is pretty sad

This morning Jed castles compared today to may 3rd. If that's not hype, I don't know what is.

I have to disagree. If they don’t hype it and it turns bad you have mass people trapped in cars on road and kids in school. We had deaths from school collapse and people stranded on roads.

6 years ago I had family in town and we went to Memorial then Zios. While at Zios I noticed workers hugged around and asked what it was. They said a tornado was SW or metro and thenI checked it out and told my out of town family I needed to get them back to hotel so I could go pick up son at his work (he was dropped off).

So we drove to hotel just east of ballpark and there was a traffic jam to get into parking ballpark parking garage. Once thru I dropped family off and beat feet to 235. I got stuck on 23rd street overpass it was worse than any rush hour just stuck with small hail. There had been a wreck close to 44. It took me 20 minutes to go 3 miles and people were driving in side lanes and it was a panicked mess. Once thru it was fine and I picked up son and went home. Then it hit and there was traffic jams all over metro.

So the thing is if they under predict and people get killed you have outcry why they didn’t make more push on predictions. The data showed some of the highest levels of potential so they made the right call. We are a metro of 1,400,000 people and its not some small feat to get them home safe in bad weather. Every weatherperson all over local and country predicted this as highest possible outbreak. I can give them a pass. Its the excessive coverage for a regular storm not predicted that upsets me. But this one was justified based on the facts they had at the time.

School called off in Stillwater for Tuesday. Over 6 inches of rain have fallen on rural north Stillwater. Imagine school busses trying to get anywhere there. Boomer Lake, already was full, is surely well over the spillway. Stillwater area rainfall amounts from wunderground as of 11:45 pm Monday:

6 tornados missed the metro by like 30 miles ... wow this is a tough crowd ..

o and tornados still going as of 5 am this morning just east of the metro ..

24. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I have to disagree. If they don’t hype it and it turns bad you have mass people trapped in cars on road and kids in school. We had deaths from school collapse and people stranded on roads.

But when they over hype (and do it repeatedly) then you become completely desensitized to it - which can lead to the same sort of doom and gloom you predicted in your post.

I personally think they love getting the population all worked up, knowing plenty of the sheep will go "well, better safe than sorry" if their predictions are way off.

Just give me the forecast without all the foreboding.

I'm so done with local meteorologists that we don't even tune in. We just binged watched Netflix and kept the iPad on a weather app and watched the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    But when they over hype (and do it repeatedly) then you become completely desensitized to it - which can lead to the same sort of doom and gloom you predicted in your post.

I personally think they love getting the population all worked up, knowing plenty of the sheep will go "well, better safe than sorry" if their predictions are way off.

Just give me the forecast without all the foreboding.

I'm so done with local meteorologists that we don't even tune in. We just binged watched Netflix and kept the iPad on a weather app and watched the radar.
    the nws could care less about local tv ratings ..

Thread Information