Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 900 N. Klein

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Classen 900 N. Klein

Quote Originally Posted by urbanCOWBOY View Post
    Can we get an update on the old Public School Administration Building at 8th & Western? What will end up happening to this and when?
    OCURA will soon issue an RFP and seek proposals to redevelop.

I would expect they will draw several interested parties as it's a cool old school with lots of potential, ala Page Woodson.

Default Re: OKC Public Schools Headquarters

Does anyone have pictures of the inside of this building?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of the inside of this building?
    Tons of photos here:

https://freepressokc.com/unusual-spa...led/index.html

Default Re: 900 N. Klein

I'm a little confused by an item in the history-it says in 1955 the building became the OKCPS administration building and the classrooms were converted into offices. Yet, a couple lines later it says a level of classrooms were added to the 4th floor in 1964?

https://oklahoman.com/article/563490...s-headquarters

Article in the Oklahoman regarding possible proposals for the old headquarters.

I'll post the full proposals later this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll post the full proposals later this morning.
    Thanks, Pete! Sorry for the flooding of Oklahoman articles. Just saw this and thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Thanks, Pete! Sorry for the flooding of Oklahoman articles. Just saw this and thought it was interesting.
    It is interesting and I don't mind when people post new info, from any source.

The Theodore

The Roosevelt (Marva Ellard)

I'm going to upload the info about each of the 3 proposals separately. Will all these images, right-click and open in a new window or tab to see the hi-res version.

I'll then go back and add more details and drone shots of the area for context; but want to get these up so people can see them.

Also, I have all the details for the senior center complex at 10th & Western which I'll be posting that later.

Far Wespen

The property subject to this RFP is adjacent to property owned by Far Wespen LLC (N. Western Ave to N. Classen Blvd, 9th Street to 10th Street). It is our intent that the two properties be developed as a whole. In addition, Far Wespen is in contract with a nationally recognized developer of senior housing to place a facility from N. Classen to N. Western, 10 St to Park Place on an adjacent property owned by Far Wespen. It is the intent of the applicant to produce an integrated residential, institutional, retail and commercial neighborhood extending from 9th Street to W. Park Place, N. Western Ave. to N. Classen Blvd, and from N. Classen to N. Klein Ave., 9th Street to 7th Street – a total of 10.3 acres (See map, attached).

The entire development will include:
    • 40+ handicapped-accessible residential units, 5-10% of which will qualify as Affordable Housing.
    - it is assumed that construction of the AffordableHousing component of the project will be assisted by applicable programs available in OKC.
    - if permissible, all Affordable Housing units will be reserved for retired teachers;
    • 285 units of senior housing;
    • approximately 150,000 SF of professional, institutional and commercial office space;
    • 40,000 SF of retail, arts and entertainment facilities; - the arts facility will avail itself of arts funding from Oklahoma City and State.
    • two pedestrian plazas.

Still think the original Far Wespen design is amazing and would completely transform the area.

With that said, of the new designs, the first is by far the best IMO

Dang, I love that Far Wespen concept. Nice infill right up against Classen.

Blog Entries

There's a hidden balcony in the auditorium area where you gain access from the 3rd floor. Hope they restore it to its original use.

The building doesn't look impressive from its exterior, the interior has had tons of renovation.

The library in the building was located in what once may have been the gymnasium. It had an old huge wall map mural of the State of Oklahoma with wood block placeholders of skyscrapers & towers. Definitely remember OKC, Tulsa, Enid, Lawton, Ada, Altus depicted along with Bartlesville where Phillips Petroleum Building & the infamous Price Tower now stand. Did get an opportunity to visit Bartlesville to see the Price Tower, it looked very similar to our old Citizens Tower next to the Gold Dome in OKC.

Far Wespen is by far the most ambitious. Development will be really good for that area.

Far Wespen for the win! I do have a question Pete. On the Far Wespen proposal, it does show senior housing saying its "Currently in Development". Is that particular building already in the process of being developed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Far Wespen for the win! I do have a question Pete. On the Far Wespen proposal, it does show senior housing saying its "Currently in Development". Is that particular building already in the process of being developed then?
    No, not quite yet.

I'll have more on this very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, not quite yet.

I'll have more on this very soon.
    Any update on this? Very curious... The rendering looks like it is a massive senior housing project. It says in development, any idea how far?

Quote Originally Posted by 89er View Post
    Any update on this? Very curious... The rendering looks like it is a massive senior housing project. It says in development, any idea how far?
    This senior project is completely separate from their RFP. It actually would be developed by a senior housing company, but they won't start for about another year.

I'm trying to get renderings and some more info.

Wow the FarWespen seems like no brainer. Its scope seems to be 2-3x what the other projects are. Some likely won't but I love the pedestrian bridge linking the development together. Good stuff. Hope the first one is chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow the FarWespen seems like no brainer. Its scope seems to be 2-3x what the other projects are. Some likely won't but I love the pedestrian bridge linking the development together. Good stuff. Hope the first one is chosen.
    The only question I would have on this project as well as the others is when is construction scheduled/required to begin before? I think each proposal should take in consideration project schedule (to an extent).

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Totally agree. Seems like an easy choice.

Blog Entries

Very similar to the Page-Woodson (Old Douglass High School) project on High Avenue.

Worked one summer in the Research department on old Klein Avenue; also forgot about the swimming pool in the drafts--do recall the area being used for chemical storage stuff like duplication machine powders, cartridges, fluid and the building maintenance (gasoline, floor wax & lacquer).

Blog Entries

Recall when the old Roosevelt Jr., High School (Administration Bldg) had hallways on the upper levels had floor coverings called battleship--looked like old brown linoleum. Remember the building custodians walking around scrapping gum from the floors. Very interesting structure--glad it will be saved and put to good use.

^^^^ agreed

Thread Information