Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

It appears "Mayor Pete' is gaining some traction in the upcoming presidential race. What does he have in his favor? What might be obstacles for him to overcome?

Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

He should stop attacking Pence. Not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    He should stop attacking Pence. Not a good look.
    But it is a good look for Pence's boss to attack everybody on the D side? Is that a so called "good look"? You can't have it both ways. In fact was it a "good look" to attack war heroes, gold star parents and the disabled? Apparently in today's GOP it is.

Buttigieg is trying to portray himself as playing the high ground. Is Trump? Maybe I missed it. I'm just making a suggestion.

I fell into the tar of equating Agent Orange with Mayor Pete. My bad. However I will take issue with your verbiage "attack". If one challenges the opinion of another this is not what i would consider an "attack". A "challenge" , a "difference of opinion" , "taking issue with" seem to be a much more appropriate use of descriptors here. One can take the high ground and still lay out differences with their opponent and not just stand mute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I fell into the tar of equating Agent Orange with Mayor Pete. My bad. However I will take issue with your verbiage "attack". If one challenges the opinion of another this is not what i would consider an "attack". A "challenge" , a "difference of opinion" , "taking issue with" seem to be a much more appropriate use of descriptors here. One can take the high ground and still lay out differences with their opponent and not just stand mute.
    I just find the tact strange for him. He does seem like he contemplates his moves before doing anything, but then keeps up this drum beat on Pence, when as far as I know the only thing Pence has done is profess his faith in Christ. It just seems beneath Buttigieg. Look I understand there is nothing beneath Trump...haha...I'm just trying to give honest criticism of Buttigieg. I want to like him, but he keeps back sliding into the same clap trap that the other 20 some odd other characters are using. He needs to distinguish himself. To me he has some of the same qualities that I like about Schultz (namely not a psychopath), but he can't always keep in his lane.

7. Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

I just find the tact strange for him. He does seem like he contemplates his moves before doing anything, but then keeps up this drum beat on Pence, when as far as I know the only thing Pence has done is profess his faith in Christ.....
    Hahahahahaha..... IN's Religious Freedom Act? Wants to take tax dollars to fund religious schools? Cast the tie-breaking vote to confirm DeVos (first time ever in a cabinet pick)? Chaired Agent Orange's voter fraud panel with Kobach as vice-chair? Is super anti-choice, invited anti-choice activists to the WH to see what they wanted in the Rs health bill? Blocking the Title X rule that allowed funds to be used for family planning services? Wants to roll back Dodd-Frank? Doesn't believe in evolution? Once said "smoking doesn't kill"? Is massively anti-LGBTQ?

I just find the tact strange for him. He does seem like he contemplates his moves before doing anything, but then keeps up this drum beat on Pence, when as far as I know the only thing Pence has done is profess his faith in Christ. It just seems beneath Buttigieg. Look I understand there is nothing beneath Trump...haha...I'm just trying to give honest criticism of Buttigieg. I want to like him, but he keeps back sliding into the same clap trap that the other 20 some odd other characters are using. He needs to distinguish himself. To me he has some of the same qualities that I like about Schultz (namely not a psychopath), but he can't always keep in his lane.
    You are being either disingenuous or unaware if you think or opine that Mayor Pete is attacking him(your words) for his love of Christ.

You are being either disingenuous or unaware if you think or opine that Mayor Pete is attacking him(your words) for his love of Christ.
    No, for his being anti-gay, all though Pence isn't really out there making that case to the people. That's what is disingenuous.

Mike Pence thinks it is okay to electrocute gay people. In fact, he advocates for it. Can't really get more out there and anti-gay than that. Not a good look.

Perhaps Pete Buttigieg doesn't think he should be electrocuted for the way he was born? If so, a good look.

11. Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

No, for his being anti-gay, all though Pence isn't really out there making that case to the people. That's what is disingenuous.
    Yes, he is making that case, this list has some examples.

https://www.upworthy.com/20-things-m...why-it-matters

No, you claimed that all Mike Pence has done was to profess his love for Christ. That is what I said you were disingenuous about. Please don't move your so called goal post. He has professed a whole lot more than that. http://time.com/4406337/mike-pence-g...gious-freedom/

This is a link to your so called "attack" on Mike Pence. http://time.com/5566322/pete-buttigi...-lgbtq-speech/

His obstacle is the how South Bend is doing. Check the stats. They do not look good.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    His obstacle is the how South Bend is doing. Check the stats. They do not look good.
    What form of muni government do they have? Strong or weak Mayor? I know that he killed it at his last reelection( won by 80%) so his constituents like him. That says a lot.

I heard there is a lot of Chicago donors on board with the Mayor.

What form of muni government do they have? Strong or weak Mayor? I know that he killed it at his last reelection( won by 80%) so his constituents like him. That says a lot.
    Looks like strong mayor. The mayor of South Bend is considered the chief executive for the city government. There is no city manager type.

His reelection he 8,515 votes to his challengers 2,074. This is with a population of ~100,000, so not many voted. South Bend is heavy democrat, so it is like a republican running in rural Oklahoma.

According to USA Today it was the 40th worst city to live in . In 2016, there were 1,012 violent crimes per 100k. The median home value is $77,400 The poverty rate is about 25%.

Not to be a downer, but of all the cities a mayor would emerge to be a prime candidate, South Bend would probably be the last place on earth I would have suspected it. Deserved or not, there is a pretty negative connotation associated with that city.

And it's not a major city. It seems more likely that a guy like Garceti or de Blasio would even have a shot at peeling away some voters from the front runners.

I have a feeling that down the road, Buttigieg will lose his appeal. Voters will revert back to Biden or Sanders and he will go back to being mayor. Just my prediction. Kind of like Beto except with a job to go back to.

it is rare to just try and jump from mayor to President. all previous mayors, (Coolidge, Cleveland, Andrew Johnson) went on to be Governors first before running for President. in fact there has never been a president to only have municipal experience, and not some other level of experience either at a state or federal level.

However it was totally unprecedented to have someone elected to POTUS with zero governing experience at any level either civilian or military.

And see what we got? We need to get back to experienced, respected government instead of sleaze, reality (?) Show hosts and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    And see what we got? We need to get back to experienced, respected government instead of sleaze, reality (?) Show hosts and kids.
    In fairness, by my estimation having previous government experience isn't exactly a phenomenal predictor of success.

By my estimation, having zero experience is a phenomenal indicator of failure.

By my estimation, having zero experience is a phenomenal indicator of failure.
    Only one president had presidential experience before he was president (again), and he was so great hardly anybody can remember his name.

You missed my point. Only one has 0 governing expierience at any level, not just presidential. No muni, county, state, federal or military.

I'm kind of for team Pete. Yeah I think what he has done for South Bend has been blown out of proportion. I lived in South Bend until 2013 and still have family that live there but he is a smart guy. Can speak 7 different languages. He just sent out a tweet of him using sign language. He also kind of Answers the questions while other don't. I wouldn't mind seeing someone young as President. Someone that is a little more in touch than someone that is 76 or 78 like Biden and Bernie are I think around that age.

Thread Information