Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 158
  1. #76

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Really, there's people who never heard of Alex Jones before trump? Obviously there's lots of people on this forum alone that don't seem to know much beyond what right wing media tells them so, I can accept that as true.

    Those who actually pay attention to current events noticed him when he started calling the Murrah bombing an inside job in in '95.

    Its amazing how many tragedies are inside jobs evidently perpetrated by robots because humans talk all the time about everything.

    Except the 400,000 people directly involved with the moon landing.
    The millions needed to plan, execute, and cover up 9/11.
    The hundreds of thousands needed to plan, execute, and cover up the Murrah building bombing because... inside job, duh...

    I think he's the most credible person in the history of credible people and everyone should go out an buy some of this magic bone broth product. I understand macerated chicken cartridge cures cancer and tastes great in a smoothy! Plus, who doesn't want to be a CAVEMAN?

    It seems like I saw a video demonstrating just how great it tastes...
    You kind of contradicted yourself, but that's nothing new. If all I knew was what the right wing media had told me, I certainly would have heard of Alex Jones. Maybe you'd heard of him before the elections because he was only being talked about on left wing media outlets. He certainly didn't have much of a following, and I even lived in Texas for 15 years. Even a brother of mine who had been a follower of talk radio hadn't heard of him until the campaigns.

    I will agree with Jedicurt that I think the Trump interview was about the first time I'd heard of him - it seems to have put him on the map.

    As far as the rest of your post, if you're trying to be funny, try again. I'm not concerned with what he has to say, I simply asked jedicurt if he'd even heard of the guy. I wasn't talking to you in the first place.

  2. #77

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    I worked at OUHSC in '95 and knew people in the ME office. I forgot they told me they were secret government coverup agents so disregard everything I just said.

    I just realized that makes me part of that conspiracy. Cool. pass the cartridge smoothie, I need caveman power to maintain my end of the coverup.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    I knew it.



    @Mr. Blue Sky, this is NOT an actual photo of me. Just for the record.

  4. #79

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Honestly, had you even heard of Alex Jones prior to this election and how the left suddenly started promoting him as the poster boy for the right?
    I did but barely. I know he had done something in regards to WACO, but didn't really follow him. The 9/11 BS was the first time I ever really heard of him but I've always grouped him with Art Bell and other such overnight talk show folks who were spreading Y2K BS and such.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Ironically, Jones is making the news today. Him and that other right-wing loonatic Louis Farrakhan have been banned from Facebook.

  6. #81

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Ironically, Jones is making the news today. Him and that other right-wing loonatic Louis Farrakhan have been banned from Facebook.
    This is something for a whole other thread, but this drive for google/facebook/twitter/youtube to police their content concerns me. This will sound sort of anti-capitalistic, but when an information source becomes such a primary and dominating information source, at what point does it transition into a public communication medium? 1.5+ billion daily users on Facebook, which is 10 times twitter. It's easy to demand or support Facebook banning the wackos, but who controls/decides who the wackos are? Typically, I'd say let the market decide, and if one source gets abusive, a new one will rise to replace it. But Facebook is big enough, I'm not sure if that's likely to happen. They're not just another myspace.

  7. #82

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This is something for a whole other thread, but this drive for google/facebook/twitter/youtube to police their content concerns me. This will sound sort of anti-capitalistic, but when an information source becomes such a primary and dominating information source, at what point does it transition into a public communication medium? 1.5+ billion daily users on Facebook, which is 10 times twitter. It's easy to demand or support Facebook banning the wackos, but who controls/decides who the wackos are? Typically, I'd say let the market decide, and if one source gets abusive, a new one will rise to replace it. But Facebook is big enough, I'm not sure if that's likely to happen. They're not just another myspace.
    I know the language legally is slightly different, but Facebook et all essentially claim status as a platform of communication (as opposed to a discriminator of content) in order to avoid prosecution stemming from anything posted on their services. I'm no fan of these people either, but it kind of seems like Facebook is trying to have its cake and eat it too.

  8. #83

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    This was last June and dealt with a state banning users but I wonder how it applies to all these bannings by the companies? I do not want Feds to get involved with this but it might be too late with all the right focused bannings lately.

    Here is one take on just today:


    Ashley StClair ����
    @stclairashley
    ·
    2h
    Facebook & Instagram have simultaneously banned Laura Loomer, Milo Yiannopoulos, Alex Jones, and Paul Joseph Watson.

    They even banned Louis Farrakhan to make this appear as if it wasn’t targeted censorship of conservatives.

    ——-

    The article from last year:

    The US Supreme Court just ruled that using social media is a constitutional right

    Ephrat LivniJune 19, 2017
    Public space in the digital age has no shape and no physical place. But the US Supreme Court is now sorting out what that means for free-speech rights. Today (June 19), the justices unanimously held that states can’t broadly limit access to social media because cyberspace “is one of the most important places to exchange views.”

    https://qz.com/1009546/the-us-suprem...o-free-speech/

  9. #84

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You kind of contradicted yourself, but that's nothing new. If all I knew was what the right wing media had told me, I certainly would have heard of Alex Jones. Maybe you'd heard of him before the elections because he was only being talked about on left wing media outlets. He certainly didn't have much of a following, and I even lived in Texas for 15 years. Even a brother of mine who had been a follower of talk radio hadn't heard of him until the campaigns.

    I will agree with Jedicurt that I think the Trump interview was about the first time I'd heard of him - it seems to have put him on the map.

    As far as the rest of your post, if you're trying to be funny, try again. I'm not concerned with what he has to say, I simply asked jedicurt if he'd even heard of the guy. I wasn't talking to you in the first place.
    Whoa...buked and scorned. I didn't realize this was a private conversation. Did this forum turn into a private AOL chat room? If not, somebody better put their pants back on.

    No, I'm not trying to be funny. Mockery is closer to what I was going for.

    However, I have to agree that its probably only liberals that ever paid attention to Jones. Who else would buy this floride free because they're turning the frogs gay toothpaste? What good liberal doesn't have a fully stocked doomsday bunker and a beautifully monogrammed bug out bag personally selected and used by Alex himself?.

    If only there was a place to find out things like the demographics of a major media personality's audience. If only...

  10. #85

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    I started paying attention to the ultra-right lunatic fringe in the early '90s when my wife got on a weird mailing list a friend of her's enrolled her in as a joke. That lasted until we moved north.

    A few years later, I listened to WKY occasionally because it had started getting really weird. G. Gordon Libby and Rush Limbaugh were on back to back for quite awhile. Liddy seemed not merely weird but crazy when he advised people about the best way to kill feds "Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of b*tches."

    After 4-19-95, the guy who had an office next to mine was a shortwave radio conspiracy true believer who was actively building an armed compound east of Norman. His wife divorced him and he was never able to finish it. He was a big fan of Jones from the beginning and I, unfortunately, could not avoid hearing about Jones and his really awesome ideas.

    But, how did folks miss all his crisis actor pronouncements? He's been doing after every mass shooting since before Sandyhook. He was saying all the same stuff after columbine and Aurora.

    Maybe he doesn't stick out for folks who think mass shootings are all fake. Somebody must agree with him. He was doing mid 8 figure sales at his peak.

  11. #86

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Ironically, Jones is making the news today. Him and that other right-wing loonatic Louis Farrakhan have been banned from Facebook.
    Good. I'm not too familiar with Milo Yiannopolous other than he is not allowed to speak at most any university he is booked to visit. Garbage skewers should be banned and l applaud them for having the nerve to ban Farrakhan. That's was away overdue.
    The more l have thought about it the more l have decided l don't envy those who are responsible for the huge social media sites. Once pushed as safe havens for the full and open expression of thought, those who always want to abuse the privilege have virtually ruined them.
    I would hate to have to be in charge of who, what and when to kick something off - and then have the Congress looking over my shoulder.

  12. #87

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    I have a hard time remembering how to pronounce his name and apparently Oprah does too so she just calls him Buttabeep, Buttaboop and he seems to like it so i think I’m just gonna go with that...

  13. #88

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Good. I'm not too familiar with Milo Yiannopolous other than he is not allowed to speak at most any university he is booked to visit. Garbage skewers should be banned and l applaud them for having the nerve to ban Farrakhan. That's was away overdue.
    The more l have thought about it the more l have decided l don't envy those who are responsible for the huge social media sites. Once pushed as safe havens for the full and open expression of thought, those who always want to abuse the privilege have virtually ruined them.
    I would hate to have to be in charge of who, what and when to kick something off - and then have the Congress looking over my shoulder.
    Ben Shapiro is kept from speaking at some universities as well, and he is hardly an incendiary figure if you actually listen to him.

  14. #89

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    I have a hard time remembering how to pronounce his name and apparently Oprah does too so she just calls him Buttabeep, Buttaboop and he seems to like it so i think I’m just gonna go with that...



    I remember Buddha jedge like Buddha judge but with j+edge rather than j+udge. Seems easier than remembering whatever Ophra came up with.

    (Comments to the tweet above suggested "Mr. President".)

    I'll probably never get the spelling correct.

  15. #90

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    I'm sticking with Mayor Pete. And I truly don't mean it in a pejorative way, it's just the best way to identify him and spell it right.

  16. #91

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post



    @mr. Blue sky, this is not an actual photo of me. Just for the record.
    lol!

  17. #92

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    This is something for a whole other thread, but this drive for google/facebook/twitter/youtube to police their content concerns me. This will sound sort of anti-capitalistic, but when an information source becomes such a primary and dominating information source, at what point does it transition into a public communication medium? 1.5+ billion daily users on Facebook, which is 10 times twitter. It's easy to demand or support Facebook banning the wackos, but who controls/decides who the wackos are? Typically, I'd say let the market decide, and if one source gets abusive, a new one will rise to replace it. But Facebook is big enough, I'm not sure if that's likely to happen. They're not just another myspace.
    I would argue it isn’t about capitalism as much as it is - democracy! America! Freedom!

    I despise all of these people banned on Facebook. But I am with Jerry, it’s just not American to ban speech based on it offending someone.

    It’ seems to be attributed to Voltaire, but he seems to get all the quotes that nobody knows who said it first. But this is the America most of us were taught - “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

  18. #93

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    But this is the America most of us were taught - “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
    It's a wonderful rule to live by but it is quickly going extinct. Find me anyone on the left who would live by this and allow people on the right to full speech rights without being subject to verbal or physical confrontation. Very few college campuses abide by Freedom of Speech - unless it fits the left's mold. This includes not just letting someone have the right to speak but actually letting them speak. Hell, there are people on the left who shout down those on the left they don't think are leftist enough.

  19. #94

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It's a wonderful rule to live by but it is quickly going extinct. Find me anyone on the left who would live by this and allow people on the right to full speech rights without being subject to verbal or physical confrontation. Very few college campuses abide by Freedom of Speech - unless it fits the left's mold. This includes not just letting someone have the right to speak but actually letting them speak. Hell, there are people on the left who shout down those on the left they don't think are leftist enough.
    I don’t disagree. The cultural left is almost fascist in my view. Not that the cultural right are angels, but I agree, right now the threat to free speech is coming from a left seemingly unable to tolerate any speech veering from orthodoxy.

  20. #95

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Ben Shapiro is kept from speaking at some universities as well, and he is hardly an incendiary figure if you actually listen to him.
    Shapiro is mostly just dumb, but the First Amendment doesn’t prohibit dumb from speaking. Unless you get to Jacob Wohl dumb, which also manages to get to libel, which isn’t protected.

  21. #96

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Shapiro is mostly just dumb, but the First Amendment doesn’t prohibit dumb from speaking. Unless you get to Jacob Wohl dumb, which also manages to get to libel, which isn’t protected.
    Hey there’s a concept that works! Whoever shares their views that don’t align with yours are just dumb. Who knew?

  22. #97

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Shapiro is mostly just dumb, but the First Amendment doesn’t prohibit dumb from speaking. Unless you get to Jacob Wohl dumb, which also manages to get to libel, which isn’t protected.
    I also must assume by dumb you just mean he doesn't agree with you. Because I can assure you he is not dumb in the traditional sense of the word, no matter how much he offend you that he takes a Jewish stance on about everything.

  23. #98

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Dumb is apparently being pro-life, pro-traditional families, pro-1st Amend, pro 2nd-Amend, hell pro all amendments. Well, I too must be dumb.

    When I Googled "dumb" and "Ben Shapiro" the first thing up included a quote from actor Chris Evans. Made me think...huh, who is dumb here. Evans, graduated high school, then moved to New York to read lines for a living. Or Shapiro, who graduated high school at 16, BA @ 20, then cum laude at Harvard Law. That is a tough one.

    It probably doesn't help that I think the first Captain America movie with him is so bad I have refused to watch another Marvel movie since.

  24. #99

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Shapiro is mostly just dumb, but the First Amendment doesn’t prohibit dumb from speaking. Unless you get to Jacob Wohl dumb, which also manages to get to libel, which isn’t protected.
    He graduated UCLA, then Harvard Law School. I'm going to go on a limb and say that is beyond the point of being able to call him dumb. Perhaps the others are right and you have a problem with viewpoints that don't match yours.

  25. #100

    Default Re: Presidental canidate Pete Buttigieg?

    Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I'm kind of for team Pete. Yeah I think what he has done for South Bend has been blown out of proportion. I lived in South Bend until 2013 and still have family that live there but he is a smart guy. Can speak 7 different languages. He just sent out a tweet of him using sign language. He also kind of Answers the questions while other don't. I wouldn't mind seeing someone young as President. Someone that is a little more in touch than someone that is 76 or 78 like Biden and Bernie are I think around that age.
    I like Pete, but I think he and Beto are more VP material than President material. Both campaign well. Beto has an ambitious climate proposal that appeals to me, but Harris and Klobuchar are better moderate choices and Warren is a better choice for voters farther left. All 3 are experienced and demonstrate leadership. Klobuchar has, interestingly, had the most Senate bills passed of the three. I agree Bernie and Biden are too old. Trump appears to likely have early dementia and he’s younger than either of them. It’s still 5 and a half years before their term would end in 2025. Who knows what their physical and/or mental health would be like for any of the three.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Big thanks to pete!
    By mugofbeer in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
  2. Thanks Pete
    By PennyQuilts in forum Announcements & Help Desk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
  3. Bi-racial Presidental Confusion?!?
    By buckt in forum Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
  4. B-racial Presidental confusion?!?
    By buckt in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
  5. Pete's Piano Bar
    By betts in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO