Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Embassy Suites OKC NW

Default Re: Nw okc marriott

I just spoke to Liam Thorpe, who is the Director of Sales for the hotel. He told me they are going to be in meetings next week with 3 different groups looking at the hotel for rebranding and they were expecting to get a decision within 3 weeks after that. Two of the possibilities are still Marriott and Doubletree by Hilton. He seemed to think that Marriott might be more likely but there is no way to know for sure yet.

I prefer Marriott to DoubleTree.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    I agree and Marriott will require a much more extensive and expensive upgrade to the hotel.

Doubletree is a significant downgrade, but at least it's being reflagged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    Cookies are better at Doubletree

Haven't had a reason to stay there in a long time, but I used to like the D-tree in downtown T-town.

Blog Entries

I've stayed in many Doubletrees that were better in amenities, style and conditions than many Marriotts I've stayed in. Many times it depends on the franchisee/owner. Both have very good reservation systems. Doubletree would be a good flag for this hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I've stayed in many Doubletrees that were better in amenities, style and conditions than many Marriotts I've stayed in. Many times it depends on the franchisee/owner. Both have very good reservation systems. Doubletree would be a good flag for this hotel.
    True, but, as I said previously, I was told there will be much more extensive and expensive upgrades to the hotel if it is a Marriott.

9. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Rover, I tend to agree that Double Tree would be a good rebrand for this hotel. It likely wouldn't require as much retrofitting as it would for a full fledged Marriott and Double Tree is not currently represented in OKC, so having this location would be huge. Also, getting a DoubleTree flag here would allow OKC to pursue a Marriott or JW downtown without the market being saturated with Marriott brands. hehe

much prefer a brand new Marriott hotel + this rebranded as a DoubleTree than having a brand new DoubleTree and having this return to Marriott. ... Nevertheless, good to know the hotel is improving itself and will be reflagged. This is one of the anchors to the NW business district and definitely needs TLC and good management to showcase this part of the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Rover, I tend to agree that Double Tree would be a good rebrand for this hotel. It likely wouldn't require as much retrofitting as it would for a full fledged Marriott and Double Tree is not currently represented in OKC, so having this location would be huge.
    Not true. The former Cambria Suites is now the Doubletree Oklahoma City Airport.

Of course a Doubletree won't require as much renovation but why would that be considered a plus?

Double Tree is just a Hilton Garden Inn that they didn't feel like renovating. HGI's are all very uniform in layout and color scheme, however Double Trees usually just slap their name on whatever hotel they acquire and bring in Hilton food options, which is why experiences are so varied from city to city. Though I'm a Hilton guy, I'm all for whichever brand forces them to upgrade. That meeting space is such a missed opportunity right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Double Tree is just a Hilton Garden Inn that they didn't feel like renovating. HGI's are all very uniform in layout and color scheme, however Double Trees usually just slap their name on whatever hotel they acquire and bring in Hilton food options, which is why experiences are so varied from city to city. Though I'm a Hilton guy, I'm all for whichever brand forces them to upgrade. That meeting space is such a missed opportunity right now.
    The only DoubleTrees I have experience with are not very nice hotels, but I have no doubt that some of them are nice. It sounds like they lack uniform standards that other flags have.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The only DoubleTrees I have experience with are not very nice hotels, but I have no doubt that some of them are nice. It sounds like they lack uniform standards that other flags have.
    I've had a few okay and not okay Double Tree experiences, but it really depends on the building they acquired. They rarely make any updates so it's very hit and miss. I prefer a Garden, but I'll usually pick a DT over Hampton.

I stayed at a Double Tree in San Diego that was very nice.

The TIF Town Hall was held here last night and it was the first time I had been in there since the 80's.

It is most definitely very worn around the edges. In fact, I hosted a class reunion in the ballroom in 1988 and absolutely nothing has been done since then, a period of 27 years. The carpet was worn, everything looks dated. Even the asphalt parking lot was looking pretty shabby.

It's not horrible but virtually everything in that place needs updating. To get a new flag, they are going to have to spend a ton money.

16. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

I was driving by on Lake Hefner Parkway a few days ago and it looked like the Marriott had been taken off the building (it's a bit of a distance, and I just glanced, so I could be wrong). If so I assume that means Marriott is out of the running now. That's probably good. We would probably rather have a new construction, larger Marriott downtown at some point (either as the convention center hotel or to go along with it).

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I was driving by on Lake Hefner Parkway a few days ago and it looked like the Marriott had been taken off the building (it's a bit of a distance, and I just glanced, so I could be wrong). If so I assume that means Marriott is out of the running now. That's probably good. We would probably rather have a new construction, larger Marriott downtown at some point (either as the convention center hotel or to go along with it).
    I can confirm this. It's been off a little while. I work right down the street from it, on Penn and Expressway, and the sign is most definitely, not there. Perhaps, this hotel will get a bit of a renovation, a new flag, and a new Marriott will come along!

18. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

You are correct. The sign has indeed come down. This property needs to move forward soon. This is a black eye for the Founders District right now. I really hope we have good news before summer is out.

Wasn't this supposed to become a DoubleTree?

20. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to become a DoubleTree?
    That is supposedly one of the flags evaluating the property for purchase from the bank.

I've heard it is dated and hasn't been kept up well. Would it be more cost effective for a flag to renovate or tear it down and start over?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I've heard it is dated and hasn't been kept up well. Would it be more cost effective for a flag to renovate or tear it down and start over?
    It can be completely fixed with a nice renovation of the rooms and common areas.

Hotels tend to do this about every 10 years or so. This property is about 25 years past due, but easily resolved with proper investment.

The room that I was shown there last year looked perfectly fine. I'm still sure they will all still be updated, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This property is about 25 years past due, but easily resolved with proper investment.
    Yeah, that's what made me wonder if it was beyond the point of no return.

Two young ladies who are with the hotel catering department just stopped by my office on a sales call. There has definitely been nothing decided yet about rebranding. I'm not sure they are in a position to have a great deal of knowledge about it but they said they were hoping that something would be announced by the end of this year or first of next year.

Thread Information