Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Embassy Suites OKC NW

Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Cool story, I saw young Williams sisters there.

I saw this evening that the Marriott signage is down. Does anybody have any idea as to what the new brand will be?

That location has really become a dive. We've had a couple of fraternity formals there recently and for that purpose, the Marriott has been pretty good to us. That said, the place has really become run down in recent years and there are some sketchy folks roaming the halls. On the plus side, the last time I was there, I'm pretty sure I saw Elizabeth Warren.

4. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

Renaissance is technically a higher-end product than a standard Marriott. The downtown OKC Renaissance was built before Marriott started renovating its lower-tiered brands, so it actually is possible that some lesser Marriott properties now surpass it in some of their finishes. It will require updating at some point. Where it really distinguishes itself right now is in its service. Even though it is now (very) slightly dated, the Renaissance is still by far one of the best properties in OKC, and when you factor location perhaps THE best, overall.

Hotels are in an arms race though. Keep up (or ahead) or be left behind, like you're seeing with the NW Expressway Marriott this thread is about. As pointed out, the downtown Sheraton spent a similar period wandering in the wilderness. The main problem with losing your flag is losing the reservation system.

5. Default Re: Nw okc marriott

I'd stayed in the NW Marriott a couple of times and noted it was in need of renovation. Calling it a "dive" was really a stretch but one thing that was happening was the club was really starting to become a hot spot. Lots of folks decided to "get a room" so I was treated to pre-room action and some great audio last time I stayed. I know this can happen everywhere but it was definitely overdue for remodeling. Having a club is great but when it becomes a "hot spot." it can be detrimental to the hotel overall.

This is bad news for OKC. I've never been overly enamored with that property, though. I had family stay there for a wedding and it was in need of an upgrade 19 years ago. Russell's was a fun place to go, but was always somewhat sketchy.

OKC is lagging other cities in attracting top-flight hotel brands. Not quite big league in that department (although it seems we will have two of every limited-service hotel in existence).

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is bad news for OKC. I've never been overly enamored with that property, though. I had family stay there for a wedding and it was in need of an upgrade 19 years ago. Russell's was a fun place to go, but was always somewhat sketchy.

OKC is lagging other cities in attracting top-flight hotel brands. Not quite big league in that department (although it seems we will have two of every limited-service hotel in existence).
    Agreed. We have so many Holiday Inn Expresses and Marriott Courtyards and the ilk going up but relatively few, and even fewer quality full service hotels. Is there a specific reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Agreed. We have so many Holiday Inn Expresses and Marriott Courtyards and the ilk going up but relatively few, and even fewer quality full service hotels. Is there a specific reason for that?
    The reason is numbers on a spreadsheet and nothing more. Some marketing people are clearly overpaid.

As you so often point out, it's because we aren't Charlotte or Louisville.

I think it is because people are tired of paying two -four times the room rate for hotels that then charge for parking, wifi, and breakfast when they can stay at a Hampton, Springhill, etc and get those amenities for free. We just got back from a trip to Philadelphia and Hershey where we stayed at three different hotels. Two were Springhill and the other was a Marriott. My wife and I have 3 kids so like Springhill where it is two double beds and a pull out sofa so fits us better. The Marriott in Philly charged $54 per night for parking plus 12.oo day for wifi. (I have a close family member who works for Marriott so I usually stay at Marriott brand hotels due to great rates.) Look at OKC, you can stay at the high end hotels and pay for all that or get a room at the Hampton in Bricktown and get free parking and breakfast. I stay at a lot of the high end hotels when I travel and it pisses me off when I am paying $300 dollars a night for a room and they can't even put a coffee maker in the room for me because they want me to spend $25.00 on room service for a pot o coffee.

Most people don't need concierges, valets, bellmen but just want a clean comfortable place to sleep. It has nothing to do with the city or location as I am seeing these midlevel offerings opening up in or near city centers all over the country

FWIW, I saw on Facebook (on a local developer's personal page) that BOTH the NW and the Waterford were de-flagged by Marriott. The Tower Hotel lost its flag, it didn't decide to not renew its franchise. Not sure of the validity of all that, but it's coming from a relatively reliable person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I think it is because people are tired of paying two -four times the room rate for hotels that then charge for parking, wifi, and breakfast when they can stay at a Hampton, Springhill, etc and get those amenities for free. We just got back from a trip to Philadelphia and Hershey where we stayed at three different hotels. Two were Springhill and the other was a Marriott. My wife and I have 3 kids so like Springhill where it is two double beds and a pull out sofa so fits us better. The Marriott in Philly charged $54 per night for parking plus 12.oo day for wifi. (I have a close family member who works for Marriott so I usually stay at Marriott brand hotels due to great rates.) Look at OKC, you can stay at the high end hotels and pay for all that or get a room at the Hampton in Bricktown and get free parking and breakfast. I stay at a lot of the high end hotels when I travel and it pisses me off when I am paying $300 dollars a night for a room and they can't even put a coffee maker in the room for me because they want me to spend $25.00 on room service for a pot o coffee.

Most people don't need concierges, valets, bellmen but just want a clean comfortable place to sleep. It has nothing to do with the city or location as I am seeing these midlevel offerings opening up in or near city centers all over the country
    Lots of simple truth in this, I think. I'm no world traveler, but when I do travel, I don't even consider the $300/night kinds of places, and have no use for those extra services. To each his own, of course, but it's just not me. The Marriott Courtyards fit me like a glove. Guess it makes me lowbrow to some, but c'est la vie...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Lots of simple truth in this, I think. I'm no world traveler, but when I do travel, I don't even consider the $300/night kinds of places, and have no use for those extra services. To each his own, of course, but it's just not me. The Marriott Courtyards fit me like a glove. Guess it makes me lowbrow to some, but c'est la vie...
    This is me. When I travel, I always stay at one of three places:

1. Courtyard by Marriott
    2. Hilton Garden Inn
    3. Four Points by Sheraton

All three are always very clean and offer a top-notch product. All in the same price point and providing everything I need - but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    FWIW, I saw on Facebook (on a local developer's personal page) that BOTH the NW and the Waterford were de-flagged by Marriott. The Tower Hotel lost its flag, it didn't decide to not renew its franchise. Not sure of the validity of all that, but it's coming from a relatively reliable person.
    The Waterford hotel is still listed on Marriott's website.

That's unfortunate though if that is the case. Not necessarily unexpected though from some of the comments here. OKC needs more top-end hotels, not less.

I think the concept of full service hotels are in decline generally. In this age of bagging your own groceries, filling your own gas tank, filling your own drink at lunch, etc. we are transitioning in a different direction as a society. Even in full service hotels, how many employ an elevator operator?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I think the concept of full service hotels are in decline generally. In this age of bagging your own groceries, filling your own gas tank, filling your own drink at lunch, etc. we are transitioning in a different direction as a society. Even in full service hotels, how many employ an elevator operator?
    I disagree. High-end, full service hotels still have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Are you comfortable providing a link, text, or his/her name?

I disagree. High-end, full service hotels still have their place.
    Both have their place, but there may not be significant high-end demand for rooms in suburban OKC. Would like to hear the insight of some local hoteliers about our CBD v. suburb dynamics.

When we travel & stay in hotels, we're looking for location. Could be a conference/event and we stay in/near the host hotel, or a place close to where we'll be spending most of our time, or a place from which we can walk to the action. We'll typically avoid suburban hotels because they require transportation costs (rental cars or cabs) and time to get us where we need to be. Speaking only about our needs, travelling to OKC would put us downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    Both have their place, but there may not be significant high-end demand for rooms in suburban OKC. Would like to hear the insight of some local hoteliers about our CBD v. suburb dynamics.

When we travel & stay in hotels, we're looking for location. Could be a conference/event and we stay in/near the host hotel, or a place close to where we'll be spending most of our time, or a place from which we can walk to the action. We'll typically avoid suburban hotels because they require transportation costs (rental cars or cabs) and time to get us where we need to be. Speaking only about our needs, travelling to OKC would put us downtown.
    I'll agree on that. As more and more business activity in OKC moves downtown, so will the need for more full service hotels downtown. Likewise, the ones on NW Expressway could suffer.

The concept is being discussed in boardrooms everywhere--bifurcation. Product lines are going to be targeted two ways--some to the upper echelons of society and others to the Wal-Mart class. This is happening because of the shrinking middle class and the new demands from both ends of the income spectrum. Where you'll see hotels getting squeezed the most is those which were sort of middle-of-the-road hotels like maybe the Renaissance. You'll see some growth from places like the Gaylord Resorts and a general decline in places like the NW Expressway Marriott. Some of your value hotels like the Four Stars Sheraton (where I recently stayed for almost a week for less than $500 in a suite) are going to grow.

I have a relative who, as a speaker, travels extensively throughout the contiguous 48 states. If there is a Holiday Inn Express within a few miles of a speaking engagement, that's where he'll be, even if nicer digs are offered at the speaking site or closer to it. His perspective after quite literally hundreds upon hundreds of nights is he is going to be comfortable, he'll save his hosts some change, the HIE points apparently add up quickly as often as he stays, and the food is better than merely passable. On the rare occasion it seems otherwise, he simply goes elsewhere for the morning grub.

When my lovely and I traveled more, we often looked for mom and pop places off the beaten path. Met a lot of nice folks along the way, though some of them did turn out to own some real dives.

HIE is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    HIE is legit.
    I agree. They're nice places too. But the three I stay at (Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Four Points by Sheraton) are a bit nicer, have larger rooms, and thicker walls for the same price. At least, that's been my experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	5806 I still see the Waterford coming up on my search on the Marriott web site, It's a good thing because it's one of my favorite hotels in OKC.

Off topic a bit but the Memphis Marriott Downtown was in a very similar condition as the NW OKC Marriott and they recently changed to a Sheraton.

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	5806 I still see the Waterford coming up on my search on the Marriott web site, It's a good thing because it's one of my favorite hotels in OKC.

Off topic a bit but the Memphis Marriott Downtown was in a very similar condition as the NW OKC Marriott and they recently changed to a Sheraton.
    That's good news, but even better news are the rates shown in that photo. How in the world did you get those rates to come up?

Thread Information