Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boulevard

Midtown The Boulevard

Neighborhood Jam to anchor new Midtown development

Plans have been submitted for a new development on the site of the former Boulevard Cafeteria.

The new 2-story, 32,922 square foot retail, and office building would have Neighborhood Jam – a popular breakfast and brunch spot – as the anchor tenant.

The building could cover existing parking and vacant lots where Boulevard Cafeteria once stood at 525 NW 11th, near Saint Anthony Hospital.

The proposed mixed-use structure would include additional space for retail at ground level and office space on the second floor.

Unlike the prior building which was set back far from the street, the new l-shaped structure will front both 11th and Dewey with parking behind.

The developer is the Midtown Renaissance group which owns much of the surrounding property, including Plaza Court to the south and most the buildings along Walker between NW 10th and 13th.

The cafeteria building was demolished in February 2017.

Ftizsimmons Architects is the designer of the new project.

Default Re: The Boulevard

The design closely resembles a modern-day Plaza Court, which is directly south.

i like it, just bummed about the height and honestly sick of these surfaced parking lots. ( i get it...we "need" it in this area)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    i like it, just bummed about the height and honestly sick of these surfaced parking lots. ( i get it...we "need" it in this area)
    In the NewsOK article, it literally says that they were wanting to be consistent with the height of the area, and not be too tall and stick out like a sore thumb.

Villa Teresa condos will be directly to the west and they made a huge squawk about the Elliott's height, so I'm sure part of this was not wanting to ruffle feathers and drawing protest.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    In the NewsOK article, it literally says that they were wanting to be consistent with the height of the area, and not be too tall and stick out like a sore thumb.
    I get it. I read it. I am saying i dont agree with it. IMO, like i said before, i would rather see residential with several stories and an added commercial component.

I think two stories is appropriate in this location. It would seem to match with Plaza Court as well as the building to the north. 3 stories might have been fine but anything above that would have been weird there, in my opinion.

I agree the height is a bummer. It would be nice to see at least 5 stories. Not a huge fan of the massive parking lot but that can get developed down the line. Eh, it’ll be a nice infill development.

Odd name, but the development itself is nice enough. Mid-rise infill is what we need, even if that rise is a bit on the shorter side.

Nice urban friendly design right up against the streetcar line.

Blog Entries

I knocked down some food at the Boulevard Cafeteria over the years. Amazing how many cafeterias there were in OKC in the day - Anna Maude, Queen Anne (Founders Tower), Boulevard, Dodsons just to name a very few.

Funny how times change! (and I know....sounding like an OLD man).

OK, back to the building/development discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Odd name, but the development itself is nice enough. Mid-rise infill is what we need, even if that rise is a bit on the shorter side.

Nice urban friendly design right up against the streetcar line.
    I think that name stood on signage on that property for the last half century.

Blog Entries

Yes, since we now have a boulevard of significance in a completely different area, it will be confusing for those not already familiar with the history of the spot. Sort of like all the "Bricktown" names on properties not in Bricktown.

While I agree, at least the surface lot is behind the building so the building is pushed out to the street... That's still better.

Blog Entries

Very nice. I think 3 stories would have been okay here. In the very least, they should have planned for a rooftop option. Definitely noticed the plaza court design omage. While I'm not a surface parking fan, thankful it is in the back, which is not uncharacteristic for this area.

I know this wouldn’t happen but it would have been cool to see the parking lot at Midtown Plaza Court turned into a pedestrian area with maybe a farmers market activity on some days, patio area, and a park mix.

The removed parking could be mitigated by a 3-4 level parking garage where the current parking lot on this development will be. I could give around 200-300 spaces. Add a raised mid-block pedestrian crossing on 11th St. with a HAWK signal.

Anyone find the design bland? I'm not terribly good at viewing renderings but I hope these retail spaces look more inviting than the ones at Plaza Court. I've been pleased with just about all of Midtown's Renaissance's work so far. Maybe this will grow on me. However, in the effort to blend in with Plaza Court, this project seems to take away from Plaza Court. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Anyone find the design bland? I'm not terribly good at viewing renderings but I hope these retail spaces look more inviting than the ones at Plaza Court. I've been pleased with just about all of Midtown's Renaissance's work so far. Maybe this will grow on me. However, in the effort to blend in with Plaza Court, this project seems to take away from Plaza Court. Just my opinion.
    I have a good friend who is an architect and he said when developers are going to bid and sometimes for media, they will throw something together that is not finalized. That is why when you see the initial renderings and when they go to city council for approval, there are changes to the plans and the look of the project.

That being said, I like the look of it as it fits with the neighborhood and would like another floor or two, but overall, I really like the interaction with the street and the hiding of the parking.

They are seeking design approval for all this, so these are exactly what they are planning to build.

I get the frustration, but at least we've made progress to the point that the parking lots are going BEHIND the building and not between the building and the street. Small victories.

I don’t get the fuss about height on this specific project... I’m usually all for it but I don’t mind this at all. Especially with the Midtown Plaza Court directly across the street. This is like a mirror

I will never understand why people use the argument that a building should be built as the same height as those around it.

I have no problems with the development, the name, the height, --- but I am a little disappointed in the design. It looks a little 70's/80's with early mid-century thrown in for good measure. I don't know, just first thoughts looking at it here for the first time.

Noticed some movement on this. Heavy equipment brought in to bust up the old foundation of the cafeteria that was there.

They have now removed that entire concrete parking lot.

Thread Information