Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boulevard

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Boulevard

If they can fill the street level with interesting retail, this is a game changer for Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, how is this done with a slab structure? Not familiar with anyone doing it. And, if they can, at what cost? Will it increase their sales?
    I don’t know but 100+ year old buildings have been moved so surely there is a way.

The benefit is creating a true urban district that is dense and vibrant. The increase in sales I’m not sure but not everything is done to directly increase sales. If that were the case than philanthropy wouldn’t exist. Though to your point it could be in the city’s interest to provide some funding to make this happen since it might not directly increase sales directly or immediately. This is a cool building and I wonder how much it would cost to do that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don’t know but 100+ year old buildings have been moved so surely there is a way.

The benefit is creating a true urban district that is dense and vibrant. The increase in sales I’m not sure but not everything is done to directly increase sales. If that were the case than philanthropy wouldn’t exist. Though to your point it could be in the city’s interest to provide some funding to make this happen since it might not directly increase sales directly or immediately. This is a cool building and I wonder how much it would cost to do that.
    Pretty sure the only way on this type of building on a slab is to raze it and rebuild. If there aren’t floor beams, how can it be moved? If you give me an example of a 100 yr old building built with a slab foundation that has been moved I will be glad to research and see how they did it.

The owner isn’t going to voluntarily spend a huge amount of money to move a perfectly sound building if there is no financial incentive to do so. It’s not like this restaurant makes a ton of money anyway.

⬆⬆ They tunnel thru the slab and slide the beams through these holes. Support the structure then it can be moved. I don't know why they would do it but it can be done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    ⬆⬆ They tunnel thru the slab and slide the beams through these holes. Support the structure then it can be moved. I don't know why they would do it but it can be done.
    A simple well reinforced small structure, maybe. Cost of this procedure alone can be 70% of cost of building the structure from scratch. Then add moving all the hookups, cost of new slab, repairing inevitable damage, permits, loss of income during the procedure, etc., you may as well build new. So, you’ve just doubled the cost of the original purchase. No smart business person would do this.

^^^ I would like to know more about the costs of this. If it is a historic structure then I get but this building obviously isn’t that. I’m skeptical that it would cost 70 percent of building new.

I am 100% for the Stella building being pushed out to the street, but it seems a lot to ask. And, with the patio, it’s not *that* bad. I’ll settle for continuing to get quality urban design on empty lots like the Boulevard next door. That area in the near vicinity of the Plaza Court building really has been such a homerun. Tremendous work on project after project.

Blog Entries

And the building is historic. Not in the sense that we think of it, but it's an old, unique build adding a bit of character to this city.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    And the building is historic. Not in the sense that we think of it, but it's an old, unique build adding a bit of character to this city.
    The Boulevard is historic and unique? That is what this thread is about, right? The Boulevard?

Blog Entries

The Stella building. I was responding to PP just forgot to quote.

^^^ I would like to know more about the costs of this. If it is a historic structure then I get but this building obviously isn’t that. I’m skeptical that it would cost 70 percent of building new.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I agree which is why I thought it was worthy of moving and not a tear down.

Blog Entries

This Stella building, its urbanism, it’s history, it’s design uniqueness, and location effect on the neighborhood is so important that it needs its own thread. Who new it is so controversial.

Back to this thread... do we know the desired mix of retailers or other tenants that the developer of THE BOULEVARD is attempting to bring the neighborhood? Why do they believe they can fill this particular location when others downtown are struggling to fill retail spaces? Will the retailers be of appeal primarily to neighborhood or be a destination retail spot?

Just a quick idea to the Stella question, why not tear out the parking area for a small pedestrian plaza, Stella could expand their patio a bit for nice weather season, add a fountain or fire pit. I would argue it would be a better center point being across from a hotel than the roundabout. That way the building stays put but there is more space for pedestrian activity.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Just a quick idea to the Stella question, why not tear out the parking area for a small pedestrian plaza, Stella could expand their patio a bit for nice weather season, add a fountain or fire pit. I would argue it would be a better center point being across from a hotel than the roundabout. That way the building stays put but there is more space for pedestrian activity.
    because stella and 1492 like that drive and parking lot for both thier customers parking as well as customer drop off ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    because stella and 1492 like that drive and parking lot for both thier customers parking as well as customer drop off ..
    I would give them a half lane similar to the hotel for drop off/ pick up. I think the parking in the back and around the district satisfies those who want a better urban feel to the district. Which was the whole point of the Stella argument, to make the district feel more urban.

Another building that needs to be moved is the Hayes Magrini & Gatewood building just across the street and north of Waffle Champion. There is a substantial elevation issue, but this would be a good location to build a narrow multi-story building for office/retail/ and 1 or 2 condos on top.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    We have a winner

Glass starting to go in on the ground floor:

Blog Entries

In a way, this is a game changer in midtown. Great span of street interactivity.

Taking a walk through this area yesterday, the most surprising thing i noticed was how much visual presence this building has along Walker. I was not expecting such a dramatic change to the feel of that street from this project.

21. Default Re: The Boulevard

Brick is continuing to go up on the northsides of the building.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	15862

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Taking a walk through this area yesterday, the most surprising thing i noticed was how much visual presence this building has along Walker. I was not expecting such a dramatic change to the feel of that street from this project.
    Mid-rise infill (or even low-rise, two stories probably isn't 'mid') has an amazing impact just about everywhere it goes up.

^^^
    This is one of my favorite projects. As denser development creeps toward the hospital I hope it just strengthens the synergy between the hospital and neighborhood.

Neighborhood Jam space in the first 2 images which mainly fronts Dewey:

I've not driven by this project yet, but it looks like awesome fill-in!

Thread Information