Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58
  1. #26

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dallas has a small amount of employees and the article says 50% of their total employees are directly involved with the NRA account.

    The OKC office will be profoundly affected.
    they do have 25,000 sqft of office space in dallas ... how much space are they taking in Midtown??

  2. #27

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they do have 25,000 sqft of office space in dallas ... how much space are they taking in Midtown??
    About 35,000 SF. But they have 6 floors in Valliance Tower.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Today, the NRA shut down NRATV which Ackerman produced.

    I just checked and NRATV.com now redirects to the NRA website.


    Lots of AMc employees were working on that project.

  4. #29

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Today, the NRA shut down NRATV which Ackerman produced.

    I just checked and NRATV.com now redirects to the NRA website.


    Lots of AMc employees were working on that project.
    Thoughts and prayers to the employees.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    NRAtv from what seems to be availible online was run almost entirely out of Dallas

    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...lawmakers-line

  6. #31

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    NRAtv from what seems to be availible online was run almost entirely out of Dallas

    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...lawmakers-line
    My understanding is Dallas did most the video production but additional AMc employees in OKC were involved in other aspects.

  7. #32

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My understanding is Dallas did most the video production but additional AMc employees in OKC were involved in other aspects.
    i think i saw 40% of all AMc employees were involed with that client in some form or fashion

  8. #33

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Crazy to think that things would likely be humming along at Ackerman if Hilary Clinton had taken The Oval.

  9. #34

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Kinda wonder why AM didn't try to diversify at all from just the NRA? Now they have to either find new clients or die.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Kinda wonder why AM didn't try to diversify at all from just the NRA? Now they have to either find new clients or die.
    No. This is a 38 year partnership that has the NRA as the party at risk, IMO. AMc is the party who has been competent and supportive through the years, and the contracts guiding their partnership are well written and clearly defined. It will cost the NRA money and market share to follow their near 80 year old face down his diminishing road, while AMc can move to Unicorn marketing, or whatever service needs their skills.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Sounds like it’s more than just TV:

    Infighting at the National Rifle Association exploded Wednesday, when the powerful association severed ties with its longtime public relations firm, suspended operations of its fiery online TV station and lost its top lobbyist.

    <snip>

    ”For Ackerman McQueen, it is time to move on to a new chapter without the chaos that has enveloped the NRA,” the statement continued. “Ackerman McQueen will continue to fight against the NRA’s repeated violations of its agreement with our company with every legal remedy available to us, but we will always be proud of the work that we completed during our 38-year relationship on behalf of the individual citizens that are the NRA.”

    https://apnews.com/7c30278f978d47fb9f632cf7a19deaec

  12. #37

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Also yesterday, in a preliminary ruling in one of the NRA v Ackerman lawsuits, a judge determined that the NRA did not have to immediately pay the $1.6M AMc was demanding as back billings. Ackerman had claimed they needed that money right away, otherwise they would not be able to pay their staff.

    It's hard to believe how ugly this has become after a 38-year relationship and how two very private organizations are now airing their dirty laundry on a daily basis, which is then picked up by big media outlets.

    It's especially odd because the relationship was driven primarily by Angus McQueen and Wayne LaPierre who are still very much involved in the two respective organizations. There has to be a lot more to this than has been made public.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    No. This is a 38 year partnership that has the NRA as the party at risk, IMO. AMc is the party who has been competent and supportive through the years, and the contracts guiding their partnership are well written and clearly defined. It will cost the NRA money and market share to follow their near 80 year old face down his diminishing road, while AMc can move to Unicorn marketing, or whatever service needs their skills.
    well, no. i'm quite sure that AM has attempted to diversify its client base, but there is no denying the fact that the market has moved steadily against the Don Draper style Ad Firms for the better part of 15 years. for most businesses, it's just far easier (and cheaper) to advertise through FB or Google.

    And, in the case of Ackerman, things are made worse because the natural client base in Oklahoma is comprised largely of oil and gas companies, most of whom do not need Ackerman's talents because (a) they are too busy overpaying for acreage or half-full office buildings, (b) they have little need for advertising since most consumers don't care who produced the oil -- only that it keeps the late model 3-series running so they can patronize Birra Birra more often than their friends, and (c) they understand that the oil business already faces great public scrutiny for a variety of reasons and associating with Ackerman/NRA would defeat the entire purpose of hiring an ad agency.

  14. #39

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    well, no. i'm quite sure that AM has attempted to diversify its client base, but there is no denying the fact that the market has moved steadily against the Don Draper style Ad Firms for the better part of 15 years. for most businesses, it's just far easier (and cheaper) to advertise through FB or Google.

    And, in the case of Ackerman, things are made worse because the natural client base in Oklahoma is comprised largely of oil and gas companies, most of whom do not need Ackerman's talents because (a) they are too busy overpaying for acreage or half-full office buildings, (b) they have little need for advertising since most consumers don't care who produced the oil -- only that it keeps the late model 3-series running so they can patronize Birra Birra more often than their friends, and (c) they understand that the oil business already faces great public scrutiny for a variety of reasons and associating with Ackerman/NRA would defeat the entire purpose of hiring an ad agency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raw.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	15361  

  15. #40

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Also, there are a ton of really good, creative and forward-thinking ad firms in OKC. And all are generally much cheaper than AMc.

    All that remains for Ackerman are local relationships. Besides the Chickasaws, everything else is pretty much the old-boys-club: OKC Convention and Visitors Bureau, the State Fair, OG&E (if they still have them), the Chamber, etc.

    So, if they now need more local business to sustain themselves they are going to be facing fierce competition.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Back in the day I had to pick up a floppy disc with one photo on it for a former employer. AM billed us $150. I'm surprised the Chickasaws, Chamber, etc. didn't shy away from them over their NRA association. Some of the garbage they pumped onto NRATV came from an intellectual sewer.

  17. #42

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ployees/224110

    AMc has effectively laid off all the NRATV employees.

    They are officially 'on leave' without pay or benefits and are forbidden from doing any company work.

    Looks like AMc won't honor their COBRA benefits unless they sign an NDA, and that is likely to face a legal challenge.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Definitely sounds like AM is trying to put those Staffers in the Cobra Clutch.


  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,262
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Definitely sounds like AM is trying to put those Staffers in the Cobra Clutch.

    It is prototypical behavior of the culture there since Ray stepped down.

  20. #45

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ployees/224110

    AMc has effectively laid off all the NRATV employees.

    They are officially 'on leave' without pay or benefits and are forbidden from doing any company work.

    Looks like AMc won't honor their COBRA benefits unless they sign an NDA, and that is likely to face a legal challenge.
    The NDA says employee can, at their expense, activate Cobra coverage. That’s normal. The employer paying for it conditionally is skeevy. I’m not sure they can have it both ways, letting employee file for post employment legal benefits, while still offering benefits.

    However, I have a friend who has been on indefinite unpaid leave from an oil company with his health insurance covered, for years now.. That’s all he gets, and it’s not Cobra, it’s same as if he were still fully employed. Maybe that’s legal. Maybe it’s not. In my former company it was policy that you had to be full time to receive coverage, defined as at least 24 hours a week. We would not be able to do any of the above.

  21. #46

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    ^

    Keep in mind these people are not getting paid nor are they getting severance.

    And of course, not receiving any sort of benefits.

  22. #47

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

    Keep in mind these people are not getting paid nor are they getting severance.

    And of course, not receiving any sort of benefits.
    I know. Which under the law means they have been terminated, are eligible for Cobra and unemployment. Or under ACA file for coverage in the marketplace.

    At-will employment.

  23. #48

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    From the Ackerman McQueen home page. I believe he had been ill with cancer for a while.


  24. #49

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/check-f....co/hJ3Ucwf3jq

    This is not good news for Ackerman

  25. #50

    Default Re: Ackerman McQueen

    What a mess. This feud is going to kill or at least seriously injure both sides.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM
  2. Salute to Ray Ackerman
    By Praedura in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 06:55 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 07:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO