Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Round1

Brookfield now owning it is probably a good thing. They have the money to evolve it and to maintain it properly. Their reach with retailers is good and should help bring new stores here.

General Growth was not a good owner of Quail Springs. They did bring in H&M and Von Maur (with a big leg-up from the city) but otherwise have not done much out there.

Brookfield is likely to be much more dynamic.

That's a disappointing change for that El Chicos the atmosphere of the current location is nice.

Hopefully the new spot works out.

Can anyone confirm that they're actually coming to OKC next year in 2020? I saw an official Japanese financial quarterly report that lists OKC as 2021 instead of 2020 like listed in their USA website.

OKLAHOMA
    Our new store, Quail Springs Mall, is coming soon!

Quail Springs Mall

(Coming 2020)
    Oklahoma City, OK 73134
    https://www.round1usa.com/location/

I was in the mall last week and El Chico and the other tenants to be moved are still operating.

Perhaps they won't move them until after the busy holiday season, then it will certainly take a while for construction.

So, maybe fall 2020?

I ate at El Chico last night and I dont know how they stay in business. Moving to the smallet Hu Hot space is probably good for them if it means less rent. There has never been any wait on a Friday night. It's our place to go when we need to catch a movie and are short on time.

Hopefully new mall owners, can bring some new life. Quail Springs is pretty sad right now.

I question if deleting a front direct front mall entrance is a good move, but as of right now there not getting any good tenants.

I haven't been inside Quail Springs Mall in nearly 3 years. They have nothing that would draw me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was in the mall last week and El Chico and the other tenants to be moved are still operating.

Perhaps they won't move them until after the busy holiday season, then it will certainly take a while for construction.

So, maybe fall 2020?
    Well, the other source I got my info from is through their actual Japanese website, not the USA version. It just doesn't make sense to announce they're coming to OKC in 2020 on the USA site, but on their Japan financial report it says something completely different, which would be Spring of 2021.

I'm guessing there is some kind of miscommunication between Round1 USA and Japan.

http://www.round1.co.jp/company/ir/p...0508_tenbo.pdf

Plans move forward for huge entertainment complex at Quail Springs Mall

Round1, a chain of entertainment complexes based in Japan, is moving forward with plans to take a large amount of space in Quail Springs Mall.

As we first reported in April the company has been expanding rapidly in the U.S., helping to fill vacancy in traditional malls due the shifting retail landscape.

Plans show Round1 plans to take 43,000 square feet of the mall's lower level between AMC theaters and JC Penney.

An existing El Chico restaurant will be moved to another spot within the mall, but it's not clear if other affected tenants, including a large Gap store, will be relocated or cease operating at Quail Springs.

A new mall entrance would be created just to the east of Penney's and Round 1 would have its own direct entrance, providing a highly visible profile from Memorial Road.

Quail Springs would be the first Oklahoma location for the company.

Round1 offers a mix of bowling, arcade games, ping pong, darts as well as karaoke, a restaurant and large bar. The company is popular with gamers as the connection to Japan allows Round1 to bring unique machines not available at other U.S. competitors.

Quail Springs continues to evolve after losing Sears and Macy's as anchor stores and as other traditional retail outlets continue to withdraw from enclosed malls. Von Maur replaced Sears and the Macy's store was demolished to make way for a massive Life Time fitness complex. Oklahoma's first H&M was also recently added, a 2-level store near the center of the mall.

With the addition of Round1, the vacancy rate at Quail Springs would drop significantly as the mall continues to reshape itself after being purchased by Brookfield Partners last year as part of a $15 billion takeover of General Growth Properties which had owned the mall for decades.

Brookfield owns over 100 large shopping centers, including Sooner Mall in Norman.

Is the exterior footprint being expanded for Round1? Sounds like El-Chico's is where the new mall hallway and entrance are going. Kind of wish they would move the mall entrance to be in that corner between AMC and Round1, but maybe Round 1 is taking up that empty space on the outside also. It would be nice to actually have a central mall entrance along with remodeled food court.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Is the exterior footprint being expanded for Round1? Sounds like El-Chico's is where the new mall hallway and entrance are going. Kind of wish they would move the mall entrance to be in that corner between AMC and Round1, but maybe Round 1 is taking up that empty space on the outside also. It would be nice to actually have a central mall entrance along with remodeled food court.
    No, the exterior footprint is not being expanded, other than maybe a slight rework of the southern facade.

The diagram shows the space they are taking.

The only real change is the mall entrance will be moved to just east of El Chico.

This plan shows the outline of the proposed complex:

Very cool. Hopefully Gap survives this move and just serves to fill up other previously vacant spots on the other side. The new hair academy coming in looks pretty cool too. It’s nice to see Quail Springs wake back up. Any word on when this will start?

I would think they would wait until the holidays before moving out the existing tenants.

As for the Gap, they are closing stores nationwide, so I'm not sure if they will bother to relocate at Quail Springs.

I would think they would wait until the holidays before moving out the existing tenants.

As for the Gap, they are closing stores nationwide, so I'm not sure if they will bother to relocate at Quail Springs.
    Round1 wrote in their Japanese financial reports that they won't be ready to open up this new store until 2021 Spring.

Shoe Dept. Encore just filed for a building permit to relocate their store to another part of the mall, so bet you'll start to see the other tenants moving as well after the holiday season is over.

Plans are out to bid for the mall work portion of this project for the end of the month. Looks like they will be adding a new entrance and corridor from part of the removed El Chico to connect to the mall and route around the Round 1. Old entrance will then be removed to make a new entrance for Round 1. Larger concrete sidewalk will be added with landscaping and a drop off lane.

Not surprisingly that El Chico appears to be gone for good.

No El Chico plans to move to where HuHot used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    No El Chico plans to move to where HuHot used to be.
    Any building permits? I'm skeptical that this is still the plan. You think they would have got the ball rolling on this awhile ago. They already close. But maybe you have inside information.

Has El Chico closed?

I have not seen permits for a new spot in the mall.

Has El Chico closed?

I have not seen permits for a new spot in the mall.
    Maybe someone can confirm. It looked like the sign was gone and I dont see them listed on the website. Facebook page is a dead link from google search. It was silently purged from existance. The mall is already in the process of taking bids for new mall entrance so seems to go along with it already being closed

Yukong said back in May, "Round 1 is going on the lower level in the spot where El Chico and Shoe Depot is located. The general mall entrance between those two will become Round One's entrance. El Chico is moving to the Hu Hot spot. Shoe Depot is moving upstairs down on the east end. Plus...General Growth Properties has sold QSM to an outfit called Brookfield Properties. In fact, Brookfield now lists QSM on their website." So, El Chico will move to Hu Hot unless they changed their mind.

Went up there a couple days ago and yes El Chico is closed. There is a sign on the door that says something along the lines of "We will miss you. Please visit our other locations" so not sure if they are or aren't planning to reopen in Quail.

Thread Information