Widgets Magazine

Thread: Untuckit

Northwest OKC Untuckit

Successful online retailer to bring first Oklahoma brick-and-mortar to Penn Square Mall.

Just filed for a 1,500SF building permit.

They have 50 stores now and are growing rapidly. Specialize in shirts made to leave untucked but carry a pretty good variety, including some women's clothing.

Default Re: Untuckit

I thought malls were dead? I hope they carry stuff for fat people...I'm all for untucking.

Penn Square does very well.

I live nearby and the place is almost always packed with cars.

Their tenant mix is changing but occupancy rate has always stayed quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Penn Square does very well.

I live nearby and the place is almost always packed with cars.

Their tenant mix is changing but occupancy rate has always stayed quite high.
    This is a quality get. Untuckit goes into upscale malls, so this means Penn is in good company.

This is a place that I thought would go to Classen Curve, so good for Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    This is a quality get. Untuckit goes into upscale malls, so this means Penn is in good company.

This is a place that I thought would go to Classen Curve, so good for Penn Square.
    Yes, very much like Bonobos and Warby Parker.

Shows how well that mall is doing because there is good space available at Classen Curve and I guarantee you they tried to get them there.

Finally something that might get me in a mall. I've wanted to check them out, but really wanted to try something on first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Finally something that might get me in a mall. I've wanted to check them out, but really wanted to try something on first.
    same for me... i have almost pulled the trigger on an online order, like twice... but kept hoping to make it to a store to try one on first..

Where are they going to move in? Old Bacharach spot?

I like the concept. Looked at their store on Michigan Ave in Chicago, too expensive for me, though.

10. Default Re: Untuckit

Out of my normal price range for casual shirts, but if you don't mind spending $98+ for a long-sleeve casual shirt its nice to have a place to try before you buy online.

I was in their store in West Village in Uptown Dallas last week. They have good quality shirts PLUS they offer you 'adult' beverage while you shop. The whiskey they served me was mighty tasty!

As an 80’s kid. I don’t understand why malls are dying...do you want to get back in your car to drive to a different store? In my 40’s I still enjoy grabbing an orange julius and strolling around window shopping with no intent to buy anything, get a slice of sbarro, see a trash movie, and probably end up buying so,etching very expensive at the LEGO store that my wife gives me grief about. It’s totally radical!

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    As an 80’s kid. I don’t understand why malls are dying...do you want to get back in your car to drive to a different store? In my 40’s I still enjoy grabbing an orange julius and strolling around window shopping with no intent to buy anything, get a slice of sbarro, see a trash movie, and probably end up buying so,etching very expensive at the LEGO store that my wife gives me grief about. It’s totally radical!
    I never make it out of Williams Sonoma and the Lego Store whenever I am at PSM...

Malls aren’t dying. Many malls in major metros are doing very well. I think most people in Oklahoma would be surprised at how many malls there are in LA and every single one has a Gucci, Versace, Ferrari, or some extreme designer store. Big box and department stores aren’t dying either and are still being built.

What’s going on is that malls were overbuilt. They were so popular and built everywhere, IIRC, Lawton ripped its entire downtown out to build one. If you look at how many of them were built one could see how even without online retailers that it wasn’t sustainable. But now with online retailers becoming more popular, the market will respond and right size itself. In the brick and mortar world, there is also an urban renaissance occurring where areas like Uptown and Midtown are seeing retail move in and naturally this will take away some share of strip and enclosed malls.

Suburban answer to this is lifestyle centers. I think moving forward you’ll see still enclosed malls thrive in many places but they may be rethought and development added around them to make them more dense. I wonder how long it is until someone tries adding a housing component inside a mall like Penn Square by modifying it.

As Pete said, malls are struggling. Dying? Hardly. Beverly Center, Westfield Topanga, Glendale Galleria, and Fashion Show in Las Vegas out here are examples of malls that are thriving with lifestyle centers literally across the street. Dallas has this as well with the Galleria and Northpark. Penn Square always seems to be pretty busy whenever I visit.

Penn Sq is doing very very well also

^

Hundreds of malls in the U.S. have closed just in the last 10-15 years.

There have been several completely shuttered in the L.A. area.

Most enclosed malls are still having a very hard time, but some are doing a better job of adapting as well, mostly due to great locations or innovative approaches.

I'd say OKC is pretty typical of most metro areas. We've lost Crossroads and Heritage Park but Penn Square is strong, Quail Springs is adapting and Sooner Mall likely won't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Hundreds of malls in the U.S. have closed just in the last 10-15 years.

There have been several completely shuttered in the L.A. area.

Most enclosed malls are still having a very hard time, but some are doing a better job of adapting as well, mostly due to great locations or innovative approaches.

I'd say OKC is pretty typical of most metro areas. We've lost Crossroads and Heritage Park but Penn Square is strong, Quail Springs is adapting and Sooner Mall likely won't make it.
    As I said, there are also many in the LA area that thriving and livelier than many urban open air shopping districts around. I’m not sure if you have seen the Westfield Century City mall but the design and features on that blows away any development in Dallas hands down. Yet even with that and department stores like Barneys of New York or or shops on Rodea which make Nordstroms(which are virtually in every mall in LA) look like Walmarts, many malls still thrive.

I am just saying I don’t think malls will die out. I suspect Penn Square will stick around for a very long time.

I worked in Century City next to that mall and have been there many, many times. I assure you I am very familiar with everything you mention. It's also open air and part of a huge live/work mixed-use development -- not at all a typical mall, even the original. It also sits squarely in the middle of some of the highest incomes anywhere in the U.S.

Malls won't die out completely but in their traditional form, they are largely dying. Even with the #2 metro population in the US, about a dozen malls have closed in Southern Cal.

They have updated that mall and work just finished a year or two ago which is after you had moved to OKC which is why I asked if you had been back since.

It doesn’t surprise me that a dozen malls have closed in SoCal as there around about 2-3 in OKC a city with a fraction of the population of SoCal which is why I say malls aren’t dying, the market is changing and correcting the overbuilding of them that occurred in the 70s and 80s.

nm

Nice. I'll check their brick and mortar store out as soon as it opens.

This is out for bids to General Contractors on April 26th. Should start work early May and possibly be complete by the end of June or the beginning of July.

I have been interested in their shirts for a while after seeing their television ads and like many I was hesitant to spend that much on a shirt without actually seeing them.

But I visited the Penn Square store on Thursday and was impressed. The staff was very helpful in finding the proper size and made the entire experience one I will return for again. The sale prices are very good for a shirt of this quality - I think the normal price is reasonable also. The shirts are high quality and are made in America which undoubtedly adds to the cost, but that is also a positive attribute for me.

So in my opinion they will do well as long as they maintain the level of customer service I experienced and their product line stays in style.

Cool, didn't know it was opened. I may visit that mall for the first time in probably a decade.

Went by today. They still have their Labor Day Sale with 30% off select items. I grabbed a few shirts. There was one that wasn't in stock, but ordered online in-store with shipment to my house, it still qualified for the sale.

The shirt I tried on seems to fit nicely. Overall a decent experience. May report back after I wear them a few times.

Thread Information