Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,660
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    As usual this is a radical Christian Right document and now more so than ever. For starters, it now calls for a total ban on abortion. Any kind of regulation on abortion not allowed. Embryos must be preserved.

    Opposed to any kind of national health care plan. Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security Disability should be privatized. (So at least Republicans want to keep their Social Security.)

    Are against any more legalized gambling, and the Oklahoma Lottery should be repealed or privatized.

    The military should return to the "ask, don't tell" policy.

    On the other hand, there are a number of good points that most people should be able to say amen to, such as "We support lowering or removing the state sales tax on groceries", and "We support civil asset forfeiture being used only after civil conviction."

    My biggest surprise was no opposition expressed to legalizing rec marijuana.

    Platform at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fi-...ew?ts=5caaab22

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Sort of a Green New Deal for the Oklahoma right.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Too often Oklahoma feels like a caliphate of the Southern Baptist church.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Texas is doing the same thing, but only OK are the Bible-thumpers...

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Texas is doing the same thing, but only OK are the Bible-thumpers...
    Who said Texas wasn't run by Bible thumpers? The state re-elected Ted Cruz over Beto because their Christian Right was so energized and they have a lot more anti-LGBTQ legislation this year than Oklahoma does. My opinion on Texas politics has soured recently as I've watched their state Republican Party double down on social conservatism like Oklahoma is known for.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Who said Texas wasn't run by Bible thumpers? The state re-elected Ted Cruz over Beto because their Christian Right was so energized and they have a lot more anti-LGBTQ legislation this year than Oklahoma does. My opinion on Texas politics has soured recently as I've watched their state Republican Party double down on social conservatism like Oklahoma is known for.
    I am not saying you are wrong, either. OK does double down on a lot of things that are a waste of time. However, at least as of yet, they have not voted on anything guaranteed to fail. The HB586 (I believe) in Texas seems doomed to be struck down in court if it passes. I just wish that people would stop classifying all Christians into the same boxes (for example, I am a Christian, and I rarely, if ever, agree with OK politics). I am guilty of lumping people into groups, as well.

  7. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    It does help to separate out the extreme Christians from the rest, that's why I always use "Evangelical Christians", because it seems like that's where most of the intolerance/hypocrisy/craziness comes from, not the regular rank-and-file Christians.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    As usual this is a radical Christian Right document and now more so than ever. For starters, it now calls for a total ban on abortion. Any kind of regulation on abortion not allowed. Embryos must be preserved.

    Opposed to any kind of national health care plan. Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security Disability should be privatized. (So at least Republicans want to keep their Social Security.)

    Are against any more legalized gambling, and the Oklahoma Lottery should be repealed or privatized.

    The military should return to the "ask, don't tell" policy.

    On the other hand, there are a number of good points that most people should be able to say amen to, such as "We support lowering or removing the state sales tax on groceries", and "We support civil asset forfeiture being used only after civil conviction."

    My biggest surprise was no opposition expressed to legalizing rec marijuana.

    Platform at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fi-...ew?ts=5caaab22
    The problem is that the people who care enough to be involved in party leadership and make platform decisions are usually the ones who care way too much and are too polarized. Another recent example was Canadian County's Republican party head was against all public education. Lottery privatized? Bring back dont ask dont tell? Not even light regulation on abortions? These dont make much sense.

    There was also the one that they are against LGBTQ being shown in a positive light in schools. I think I understand what they mean by that but they sure dont know how to word it without coming across like backwards a-holes.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    "There was also the one that they are against LGBTQ being shown in a positive light in schools. I think I understand what they mean by that but they sure dont know how to word it without coming across like backwards a-holes.[/QUOTE]"

    That is because there is no way to word it without "coming across like backwards a-holes", because that is what it is.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It does help to separate out the extreme Christians from the rest, that's why I always use "Evangelical Christians", because it seems like that's where most of the intolerance/hypocrisy/craziness comes from, not the regular rank-and-file Christians.
    In Oklahoma and other Southern states, the fundamentalist Christian extremists dominate the politics. It's a big problem right now from Texas to North Carolina.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In Oklahoma and other Southern states, the fundamentalist Christian extremists dominate the politics. It's a big problem right now from Texas to North Carolina.
    Bingo! "Fundamentalist" is the driving term. President Carter considers himself an evangelical but not a fundamentalist.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In Oklahoma and other Southern states, the fundamentalist Christian extremists dominate the politics. It's a big problem right now from Texas to North Carolina.
    Interestingly, the platform writers don't really reflect who actually gets elected on the (R) side of the ticket. While the vast majority of Republicans probably side with the platform writers on abortion, a small number of them would side with the platform writers about everything else.

    These people are adopting platform positions which have nothing to do with the exercise of state power.

    --better call the chairman of the Joint Chiefs... Oklahoma wants to reinstate don't ask/don't tell.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,660
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In Oklahoma and other Southern states, the fundamentalist Christian extremists dominate the politics. It's a big problem right now from Texas to North Carolina.
    Thankfully, there has been successful push back in Oklahoma. Most of the numerous anti-gay bills for the past several years didn't get passed. This year, Sen. Silk's bill to ban all abortion was seen as so extreme and unable to survive court scrutiny, that it wasn't even granted a committee hearing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,660
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Republicans still want to give tribute to the cow and chicken companies, "We believe the definition of hazardous waste should exclude animal waste."

  15. #15

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Who said Texas wasn't run by Bible thumpers? The state re-elected Ted Cruz over Beto because their Christian Right was so energized and they have a lot more anti-LGBTQ legislation this year than Oklahoma does. My opinion on Texas politics has soured recently as I've watched their state Republican Party double down on social conservatism like Oklahoma is known for.
    Thank you for pointing this out. Too often is Oklahoma criticized for something only to have some cheerleader ‘come to its rescue’ and say “we’ll this state does that too!”

    Congratulations, Oklahoma has joined the ranks of the bottom 10 states.

  16. #16

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by schrist View Post
    "There was also the one that they are against LGBTQ being shown in a positive light in schools. I think I understand what they mean by that but they sure dont know how to word it without coming across like backwards a-holes.
    "

    Bingo. Nice to know the state's Republican party thinks the state's children need to be protected from acknowledging my very existence.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    I never weigh in on questions of faith, because it's personal. There is literally no "winning" or "losing" such a discussion. I will only write this, as analysis, not taking a "side."

    I have always been under the impression that active, practicing Christians tended to be more on the right-side of the political spectrum. Certainly not all, but maybe 60-70% of them. But I have been somewhat amazed in the Trump era on how that impression is changing. Just anecdotally from my Facebook page, the majority of people posting on matters of faith are doing so from what I would call a "Christian Left" perspective. A good friend from college that is a Presbyterian minister is writing thoughtful essays. Two other friends that are Methodists have shared very intelligent, intellectual thoughts, backed up by scripture. Another one is active in the Moms movement regarding gun control. Many Catholics are echoing the Pope's words on immigrant and border issues. More than one religious friend is applauding Mayor Pete and the way he is sharing his faith and showing that the fundamentalists don't have a monopoly on it, thank you very much.

    My point is: I think there is a deep divide within the religious community on many, many issues and the divide has more to do with age than almost anything else. You can't lump all Christians in a box.

  18. #18

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    The two that stand out to me...

    -We oppose the designation of public schools as “gun free zones”.

    -We support the enforcement of Oklahoma statutes that prohibit teachers from strikes, walkouts, or semblance thereof during the school year by penalizing any district that closes its schools with a funding cut equivalent to the daily payroll and expenses of the district.

    "Constitutional rights" of guns > actual constitutional rights of teachers

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,660
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Thank you for pointing this out. Too often is Oklahoma criticized for something only to have some cheerleader ‘come to its rescue’ and say “we’ll this state does that too!”

    Congratulations, Oklahoma has joined the ranks of the bottom 10 states.
    After years of Republican rule, at least Oklahoma isn't one of the 10 worst states for education listed here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...education.html

    As long as Christian Right extremism can be successfully pushed back in Oklahoma, I think Oklahoma in years to come will become a somewhat better state, rather than staying as it is now as a generally less than mediocre one. But it's only a hope. Rejecting Fisher in the primary as a Republican candidate for governor is one way how it's done.

  20. #20

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    During the primary season, Todd Lamb posted a video of him leading a morning prayer at the Capitol. My favorite Facebook comment from that post went something like this:

    "If you want to pray, be a priest. Otherwise, take the prayers out of my Capitol and pound them directly in to your asshole".

  21. #21

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    During the primary season, Todd Lamb posted a video of him leading a morning prayer at the Capitol. My favorite Facebook comment from that post went something like this:

    "If you want to pray, be a priest. Otherwise, take the prayers out of my Capitol and pound them directly in to your asshole".
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

  22. #22

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    During the primary season, Todd Lamb posted a video of him leading a morning prayer at the Capitol. My favorite Facebook comment from that post went something like this:

    "If you want to pray, be a priest. Otherwise, take the prayers out of my Capitol and pound them directly in to your asshole".
    And you wonder why you keep getting creamed in elections in this state?

  23. #23

    Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Out

    For real. That pales in comparison to "grab them by the *****" and "move on them like a bitch". Got to step up that rhetoric if you want those religious votes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread
    By catch22 in forum Transportation
    Replies: 468
    Last Post: 11-14-2019, 08:28 PM
  2. Oklahoma Republican views on education
    By Swake in forum Politics
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
  5. Oklahoma Stands Firmly Republican
    By westsidesooner in forum Politics
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO