Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - April 2019

Weather General Weather Discussion - April 2019

15% or greater chance of severe weather from W to C OK on Wednesday. SPC has outlined this risk on the Day 4 outlook. Classic dryline setup in the making.

At this time, it does appear tornado potential will be in play.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - April 2019

Severe threat for Wednesday has mostly pushed into extreme W OK with any late afternoon storms that develop. The threat out west will be for large hail and maybe an isolated tornado. Otherwise, it appears the cap will be too strong and keep any widespread development from occurring. C OK could still see some storms after dark that come in from the NW, the main threat with these will be damaging wind.

Will update tomorrow afternoon for any changes.

Supercells have developed out in the TX PH. These will march eastward into W OK. Large hail and outside shot at tornado are main threat for anyone out in far W OK.

These Panhandle storms will eventually die out after crossing into W OK heading into dark. Then we will see later development to the NW associated with the cold front. Impacts into C OK from the NW will be around 9-10pm from the looks of it. Below is a snapshot of forecast after dark. Strong winds and some hail with the taller storms will be the main threat with these. Models do indicate potential for storm-training over a localized area from NW/W OK into C OK. Could see some flash flooding in a small area.

Storms are moving through W OK now. Impact into C OK will be closer to midnight timeframe. Heavy rain and some gusty winds will be primary threat.

Anon, thank you for your updates and information. They're very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Anon, thank you for your updates and information. They're very much appreciated!
    Of course!

Wrap-around development occurring across N Edmond and points north. This will be short-lived this morning.

Next shot at storms is very late Friday night into Saturday. Right now, it doesn't appear significant severe weather is likely, but will keep an eye on it.

How is Sunday looking?

Val and Amy Castor had a run in with baseball-sized hail near Hollis yesterday. Doesn't sound like a fun way to spend a Wednesday.

As of now, does it look like Saturday is a washout? Hopefully it'll wait till later in the day and the morning will be fine.

My place in south OKC picked up about half an inch from last night's storms. Most of the state is below average for rainfall for the past 90 days so it's good that we got a decent drink overnight. http://climate.ok.gov/index.php/drou...ought_wildfire

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    As of now, does it look like Saturday is a washout? Hopefully it'll wait till later in the day and the morning will be fine.
    Right now, I think it's more likely that Saturday Morning will be a washout, with things tapering off in the afternoon.

Forecast is turning out to be very strange for C OK.

Tonight we will see storms develop across W and NW TX and move NE toward OK. These are predicted to die out shortly after crossing the border down in extreme SW OK before the early Saturday AM hours. We will see an additional cluster form behind it and move across the same path and this one is also forecasted to die out, but may just barely make it to C OK by early Saturday evening.

After that there is a chance, Sunday evening, we see a thin line of pop-up style thunderstorms across a boundary develop along the I-44 corridor, but confidence is low in this occurring. SW, S, and SE OK by far have the highest chances of seeing rain storms. C OK's best shot will be with the cluster attempting to come in Saturday evening.

It is very possible that C OK may not see any rain this weekend. Like I always say, check the radar before going out for any outdoor activities. Don't let a forecast prevent you from missing out on our first really warm weekend in a while!

Does anyone know what happened to the Interactive ESP radar that was available on channel 9's website in OKC and Channel 6 in Tulsa? That radar was, far and away, the most user-friendly online radar for Oklahoma City. I know it probably cost some bucks and they didn't want to license it any longer. Or, was it built for use by Griffin stations and they quit using it for some other reason? I'm baffled. It was where you could zoom in on your block if you wanted, had tracking for hail and hail sizes, it offered so much more than what they have now. Channels 4 and 5 both use open source software to merge with their own radar that has some of the same capabilities, but there's no comparison to the old ESP Interactive.

Anyone know what's up with the demise of ESP?

^^^ I'd like to know also where it went ?

Seems like we're clearing out well enough behind the decaying complex that moved through a little while ago to allow for some level of redevelopment later this afternoon.

Yep wrap around wave getting going across W/SW OK. Likely will spark another cluster of storms. These will also move through very quick.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch likely coming for all of C OK. Rapid destablization taking place behind the dead MCS.

Large hail will be main threat. Storms will be fast moving.

There doesnt appear to be enough energy to keep things going.

Storms are really, really struggling at the moment.

Yea looks like evening outdoor plans are greenlight. Tops of towers getting blown off.

Blog Entries

I’m glad because I wanted to see the FInal 4 and not David Payne.

While I will root for storm busts for all next 2 months long, if we could just get into the mid 90's with some persistent ridging we wouldn't even have to worry about storms. I would pay huge $$$ for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Interactive ESP radar that was available on channel 9's website in OKC and Channel 6 in Tulsa? That radar was, far and away, the most user-friendly online radar for Oklahoma City. I know it probably cost some bucks and they didn't want to license it any longer. Or, was it built for use by Griffin stations and they quit using it for some other reason? I'm baffled. It was where you could zoom in on your block if you wanted, had tracking for hail and hail sizes, it offered so much more than what they have now. Channels 4 and 5 both use open source software to merge with their own radar that has some of the same capabilities, but there's no comparison to the old ESP Interactive.

Anyone know what's up with the demise of ESP?
    They appear to have partnered very aggressively with Baron Weather they had tinkered with some of their tech over the last few years, but that massive radar they built last year seems to have been developed by Baron (Who also rolled out the NWS dual polarization tech). And it seems the partnership just continues to grow which is why you see them using things like hail swath product and other buzzwordy tech on their newscasts. It seems Baron even rebuilt the News9 Weather app recently. So I'm going to assume they have some exclusivity clause with Baron to only use Baron tech on their sites which is why ESP went away.

If you have an iPhone I can't recommend RadarScope enough, if you can mostly read a radar it's about one of the most powerful tools you can get at a very affordable price. I believe they have a Windows desktop program now as well.

Okay, the sun is out!!!! And according to mesonet no storm chances till next weekend. If we could JUST get to those mid 90's! #NostormsinOCKthisspring!

Warm, No Storms Wednesday, a Freeze, and then Snow? by Aaron Tuttle
    http://aarontuttleweather.com/2019/0...SjniAr1Ec0xxMY

Thread Information