Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Up-Down Arcade Bar

Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

This has to be close to opening right? Website still says Summer 2020.

It looks like a really cool place, I am sure it will do great! If anyone has a review of this place when it opens, I would love to hear it!

4. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

I saw some of the old arcade games were delivered. They just finished some of the landscaping and saw a few people with Up-Down logo shirts. I think they are pretty close!

Nice! I suppose out of all types of bars/restaurants I can easily see why a venue reliant on dozens of people putting their hands on the same controls every night would be cautious about opening haha.

6. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

Ya I have been missing playing some pinball but just not quite ready to go out and do that.

My wife said my home collection should be enough for now

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I really liked it until the red guttering - just a little too bright for me. But I’m excited to visit it.
    Looks like they agreed with you. They were painting all of this red guttering black today.

HangryHippo Guest

They clearly have great taste. 😆

I was just driving past, but you were definitely right. Looks way better without the bright red. Going to be a great addition To the area all around.

Willing to do a meet up here after the virus situation calms down.

11. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Willing to do a meet up here after the virus situation calms down.
    I am for sure down for that as well! Pizza, arcade, pinball and OKCTalk meetup sounds great.

Press release (the photos are mine); they open a week from today:

Classic Arcade Gaming Comes To The Plaza District
    OKC’s newest venue combines nostalgia with a modern flair

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK: Up-Down, a 21-and-over nostalgia-themed bar featuring classic arcade games and regional craft beer, is opening this Friday in the Plaza District. Guests will be greeted by over 75 classic arcade games across the two-story building, as well as pinball, skeeball, and oversized tabletop games. The televisions on the walls of Up-Down showcase movies and other entertainment from the ‘80s and ‘90s. This nostalgic feel is paired with modern design, beautiful patio spaces, and a full bar with over 40 craft beers on tap.

The Plaza District location marks the sixth location of this regional chain out of Des Moines, IA. According to Up-Down Managing Partner, Josh Ivey, “We have been looking to expand into Oklahoma for years, but from my first visit to OKC I knew that the Plaza District was the perfect neighborhood for us. The eclectic and diverse neighborhood was ideal for the concept that has been described as “a bar for people who are over the traditional bar scene.”

Throughout the two years of planning the location, a great deal of effort went into designing a space that was unique to Oklahoma City. A look around the walls of the bar will reveal famous Oklahomans, including legends from OU and OSU. The wall of taps contains a plethora of local breweries, and a weekly special promotes local beers.

Up-Down will be giving the game- and beer-loving public their first look at the new bar on Friday, August 13th at 5pm. The first 100 guests to arrive will receive 20 free game tokens. Occupancy of the bar will be limited, and all guests will be required to wear masks. More information about the safety protocols can be found on our website. More information about the grand opening event can be found on our Facebook page: Facebook.com/updownokc.

About Up-Down: Up-Down is an arcade bar concept featuring the combination of classic arcade games, craft beer, and unique pizzas. Based in Des Moines, IA, the concept currently has locations in Oklahoma City, St Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and Milwaukee.

14. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

Huh. Interesting selection of pins

15. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

looks like great infill to the district!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I am glad they painted the gutters black, it is much better and looks good with the gray bricks

They have been completely packed inside and out since opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have been completely packed inside and out since opening.
    Under normal circumstances, this would be great to hear, but unfortunately I've heard from multiple accounts that there was no social distancing and almost no masks being worn by customers. I recognize that opening during a pandemic would be tricky to do but I also think that the bar should try to make SOME effort to keep people safe, which it doesn't sound like they're doing.

Most nightlife places were very busy this weekend.

People are pretty much behaving as they did before Covid-19 and there are really no restrictions to change that.

Many bars and restaurants are not requiring guests to wear masks.

As an exception, I went to Social Capital last night and you had to order all food and drinks inside and had to be wearing your masks to do so. But on the upstairs deck no masks were required.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Under normal circumstances, this would be great to hear, but unfortunately I've heard from multiple accounts that there was no social distancing and almost no masks being worn by customers. I recognize that opening during a pandemic would be tricky to do but I also think that the bar should try to make SOME effort to keep people safe, which it doesn't sound like they're doing.
    I was at a soft opening last week and everyone had to wear masks and there were a lot of hand sanitizer stations. Bummer if they are no longer enforcing already...

21. Default Re: Up-Down Arcade Bar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I was at a soft opening last week and everyone had to wear masks and there were a lot of hand sanitizer stations. Bummer if they are no longer enforcing already...
    I walk by this place most nights and I will give them a little credit. Most of the people inside look to be wearing a mask when playing games. So it seems most people are following the rules there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Most nightlife places were very busy this weekend.

People are pretty much behaving as they did before Covid-19 and there are really no restrictions to change that.

Many bars and restaurants are not requiring guests to wear masks.

As an exception, I went to Social Capital last night and you had to order all food and drinks inside and had to be wearing your masks to do so. But on the upstairs deck no masks were required.
    I observed the same thing Midtown was so packed we decided to just head home.

Blog Entries

I have to give mad props to UpDown. Better overall experience than the place in Film Row. Also, the pizza is surprisingly good. Honestly I liked the slice of pepperoni I had there more than the one I had later that night at Empire.

Thread Information