Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: David Boren

Default Re: David Boren

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It’s funny, I’ll likely increase my donation
    The new normal: As long as I like the outcome, I don't care about the means.

A law firm hired by the university investigated for months, identifying six men who gave accounts of encounters with Boren. Only one, former teaching assistant Jess Eddy, has come forward publicly.
    I missed this the first time around. Had no idea there were six men who gave accounts of encounters with Boren.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    I missed this the first time around. Had no idea there were six men who gave accounts of encounters with Boren.
    yep... that often seems to be overlooked or dismissed

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The new normal: As long as I like the outcome, I don't care about the means.
    That isn’t necessarily true. I’m fine with the outcome but obviously I’m not happy with how poorly all of the negative attention has reflected on the university. It’s certainly possible to on one hand selfishly enjoy the destruction of Boren’s legacy while at the same time think the whole thing was excessive and extremely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    yep... that often seems to be overlooked or dismissed
    my the majority of those on this thread ..

also the general thoughts of those that i know that work at OU is the the gallagoly year as president was very very successful

That isn’t necessarily true. I’m fine with the outcome but obviously I’m not happy with how poorly all of the negative attention has reflected on the university. It’s certainly possible to on one hand selfishly enjoy the destruction of Boren’s legacy while at the same time think the whole thing was excessive and extremely unnecessary.
    You said you planned to increase your donation, so that speaks for itself. As does your statement about 'selfishly enjoying the destruction of Boren's legacy'.

This has been political from the very beginning, it's just that people are trying to dress this up as something else and at the same time causing great harm to the image of the university they claim to love.

[QUOTE=PhiAlpha;1078702]That isn’t necessarily true. I’m fine with the outcome but obviously I’m not happy with how poorly all of the negative attention has reflected on the university. It’s certainly possible to on one hand selfishly enjoy the destruction of Boren’s legacy while at the same time think the whole thing was excessive and extremely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

So where do you stand? are you selfishly enjoying the personal destruction of an individual who without question served to make the State a better place at all levels. Your posts suggest you do. This is akin to the Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh where Repubs lamented the timeline to surfacing the allegations. Outrage. Same here, wait until the man serves, reaches retirement, moves off the stage and then disparage his entire career through as yet unsubstantiated allegations. This is simply unconscionable, orchestrated by people in this State who have power and agendas. This State will never realize its potential until the Good ole Boy Club of families who run it are gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    my the majority of those on this thread ..

also the general thoughts of those that i know that work at OU is the the gallagoly year as president was very very successful
    And those I know think the opposite. They are embarrassed by him and the destructive way he ruled.

Delusional.

This is another instance where empirical evidence isn’t yet available, and limited information is released. People will form opinions which - by human nature - are difficult to change. Six people describe encounters and have been interviewed by Jones Day, and only one has been named. He first denied any any activity, then claimed nothing beyond kissing his cheek & neck and grabbing his rear, then called Boren and asked for money. Hardly a credible or compelling witness. So I wonder why Boren is so vilified, why NOW - after his resignation - and what the facts truly are. I have no opinion other than I am highly suspicious of the allegations and investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    Delusional.
    No he's not. My contacts within the school may not necessarily thought it was "very, very successful" but they were generally happy with Gallogly and a lot of the moves he made. They definitely didn't want him to resign.

He 'resigned' without any real explanation and was completely out of the state a few days later, all within 10 months of being hired.

There is still much about this being withheld, but those are not the actions of someone who was 'successful' in their job.

[QUOTE=dcsooner;1078725]
    That isn’t necessarily true. I’m fine with the outcome but obviously I’m not happy with how poorly all of the negative attention has reflected on the university. It’s certainly possible to on one hand selfishly enjoy the destruction of Boren’s legacy while at the same time think the whole thing was excessive and extremely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

So where do you stand? are you selfishly enjoying the personal destruction of an individual who without question served to make the State a better place at all levels. Your posts suggest you do. This is akin to the Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh where Repubs lamented the timeline to surfacing the allegations. Outrage. Same here, wait until the man serves, reaches retirement, moves off the stage and then disparage his entire career through as yet unsubstantiated allegations. This is simply unconscionable, orchestrated by people in this State who have power and agendas. This State will never realize its potential until the Good ole Boy Club of families who run it are gone.
    I think I made it pretty clear. It's completely possible to selfishly enjoy the destruction of Boren's legacy because of a personal grudge and be glad that he has severed ties with the school while objectively agreeing that it hasn't been good for the school and was unnecessary. No doubt he made the university a better place and through his work there, the state as well, but that doesn't mean I have to like him or be disappointed that he's no longer the president at OU. I agree, just as I did with Kavanaugh and several other cases of bringing up supposed sexual harassment allegations from years ago (though some are obviously warranted, Harvey Weinstein being an example). But on the opposite side of what you said some of the same people, I'm assuming you included, were among the crowd cheering for Kavanaugh to be disqualified because of 30 year old allegations and are now saying similar allegations shouldn't matter for Boren. I think the allegations against Boren are dumb just as I did those against Kavanaugh but am happy that he is no longer involved with OU.

^

Boren hasn't really been involved with OU for some time.

What you seem to be most happy about is 'the destruction of Boren's legacy because of a personal grudge'.

That's just incredibly sad and vindictive and also indicates that others likely feel this way, including some of those directly involved in this whole mess.

He 'resigned' without any real explanation and was completely out of the state a few days later, all within 10 months of being hired.

There is still much about this being withheld, but those are not the actions of someone who was 'successful' in their job.
    it was always pretty clear that he was never long term for the job ..

Could be the actions of someone who just doesn't want to deal with academia anymore after a year of being blamed for things like racist incidents committed by people who left the school 5+ years ago or by people who never attended the university in the first place. Though I agree with you that much is being withheld and his abrupt resignation was suspicious.

Regardless, none of that means Boulder Sooner was delusional in his statement that a sizable portion of the OU community that was happy with him as the president and some of what he accomplished for the 10 months that he was the president. My contacts thought it was successful as well.

it was always pretty clear that he was never long term for the job ..
    Not being there for the long term and making a hasty exit after only 10 months are two entirely different things.

^

Boren hasn't really been involved with OU for some time.

What you seem to be most happy about is 'the destruction of Boren's legacy because of a personal grudge'.

That's just incredibly sad and vindictive and also indicates that others likely feel this way, including some of those directly involved in this whole mess.
    For me, him being involved at all was more than I wanted. Call it what you want, we agree on a lot of things but will likely never completely will on David Boren, Gallogly, or whoever the BoR hires next.

For me, him being involved at all was more than I wanted. Call it what you want, we agree on a lot of things but will likely never completely will on David Boren, Gallogly, or whoever the BoR hires next.
    Yes, because I want what's best for the university and don't have a personal grudge.

Yes, because I want what's best for the university and don't have a personal grudge.
    Correct

Regardless, none of that means Boulder Sooner was delusional in his statement that a sizable portion of the OU community that was happy with him as the president and some of what he accomplished for the 10 months that he was the president. My contacts thought it was successful as well.
    He didn't say said "sizable portion", he said "those that i know that work at OU".

Regardless, nobody who has a successful first year at their job as president of the largest university in a state resigns after just ten months with no prior warning and then leaves the state entirely within days. Feel free to live in your fantasy world if you believe that, but don't insist other people join you there.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    He didn't say said "sizable portion", he said "those that i know that work at OU".
    Sorry, I added that part based on my experience.

Regardless, nobody who has a successful first year at their job as president of the largest university in a state resigns after just ten months with no prior warning and then leaves the state entirely within days. Feel free to live in your fantasy world if you believe that, but don't insist other people join you there.
    There's nothing to insist. I've literally had friends that work there tell me that they were happy with him as the president and some of the changes he made throughout his 10 months there and they've alluded to the fact that their associates felt similarly.

All of you that really think that there wasn't a decent contingent of people within and outside of the university that liked Gallogly are living in an bubble.

he never moved into the presidents house ... his wife never moved to the state ..... he went back home almost every weekend ...

do any of these things make you think he was going to be at ou for any length of time ...

he was brought in to make some needed changes which he did ... he is close to if not already a billionaire .. it is not like he needed the job ..

Thread Information