Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: David Boren

Default Re: David Boren

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    That's not true. They went from being ranked #98 in 2017 to in the 120's in 2018. So it obviously dropped them quite a bit.
    The alumni giving rates comprise 5% of the total score.

We have no way of knowing what else may have affected the ranking, especially since during that same year total alumni contributions were down signifanctly and other big changes were made.

I can't help but wonder if it was a punitive decrease to punish OU for the incorrect reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can't help but wonder if it was a punitive decrease to punish OU for the incorrect reporting.
    Haven't they decided to list OU as "unranked" this year as punishment for the reporting? Doubt they'd take a small step and then a major one like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Haven't they decided to list OU as "unranked" this year as punishment for the reporting? Doubt they'd take a small step and then a major one like that.
    I think the first step was an adjustment based on criteria when the reporting was corrected, and the second was punitive.
    I also think anyone would be hard pressed to find a real correlation to % of alumni giving and real quality of education. Dollars are dollars, and how many and how they are spent is way more important than gross number of donors.

That's not true. They went from being ranked #98 in 2017 to in the 120's in 2018. So it obviously dropped them quite a bit.
    That's really not a big drop at all. Tons of schools tie. Oh, and I always point out, the rankings are trash.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    That's really not a big drop at all. Tons of schools tie. Oh, and I always point out, the rankings are trash.
    The rankings are in no way indicative of the quality of education. For many degree programs, you’re better off at a directional school than a flagship university.l

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I agree the rankings are trash. Unless you’re going to an Ivy League or somewhere like Stanford, the quality of education you receive from basically anywhere is relatively the same. That said, dropping 30 spots in one year is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The alumni giving rates comprise 5% of the total score.

We have no way of knowing what else may have affected the ranking, especially since during that same year total alumni contributions were down signifanctly and other big changes were made.

I don’t doubt that alumni donations were down but who knows just how much since the numbers Boren was reporting were inflated.

I don’t doubt that alumni donations were down but who knows just how much since the numbers Boren was reporting were inflated.
    The only accusation was that the percentage of alums giving to the school was inflated, not the amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only accusation was that the percentage of alums giving to the school was inflated, not the amounts.
    That is true. My mistake.

Huh, I think it hadn't really sunk in to me that it was the alumni giving rate and not the totals that were misrepresented. I'm not sure that could be more meaningless to quality of education received.

Total gifts you could easily argue having an impact since that is the university's bottom line, but giving rate?

the idea is that alumni that are generally satisfied with their experience at an institution are more likely to give to it... therefore, the rate in which alumni give is used as an indicator of student satisfaction. i think there are flaws in that logic, but I think that's the general reason for including it.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    Whats that supposed to mean? Are you spinning a similar unfounded take?

Was it suicide or are they suspecting foul play? Only the Oklahoman is reporting (that I've seen) that a gun was found on a table across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Was it suicide or are they suspecting foul play? Only the Oklahoman is reporting (that I've seen) that a gun was found on a table across the room.
    Nondoc is reporting gunshot wound, but not the cause or manner. No word on if a gun was recovered. https://nondoc.com/2019/06/06/former...hols-has-died/

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    the idea is that alumni that are generally satisfied with their experience at an institution are more likely to give to it... therefore, the rate in which alumni give is used as an indicator of student satisfaction. i think there are flaws in that logic, but I think that's the general reason for including it.
    In the early U.S. News rankings, Ivy League schools didn't rank at the top. Factors like this were added to ensure that university's with wealthier families, students, and alumni schools rank high. It has nothing to do with "educational quality."

So a conspiracy theory?

Boren is cutting ties and universities investigation is coming to a close.
    https://oklahoman.com/article/563376...ty-of-oklahoma

Won't give another dime to my Alma Mater. Pure politics by henchmen out to destroy a Man who lived his life serving Oklahoma.

21. Default Re: David Boren

Looks like next week we will hear from the grand jury.

All this started with hiring this very expensive and very politically aligned law firm to investigate the overstatement of one minor statistic to US News and World Reports. Why was that necessary in the first place? Didn't they already have the real #'s and couldn't have the university just self-reported? And as it happened, what was the worst case scenario? You come clean, they suspend your ranking for one year. Hardly the end of the world.

When later questioned about the need for this large expense, all the regents talked about was the sensitivity of the sexual harassment claims. But, we have been told, that's not why they were hired in the first place, especially because this Title IX report didn't come until after OU was already using them.

So, it just so happens that when this Title IX report was filed and the university was obligated to investigate, they had already retained Jones Day and then just put them on that issue as well.

It's very hard to believe these things weren't related. I'd still like to know the reason behind the timing of this Title IX report; how this employee came to report it in November even though they were required by law to report immediately upon becoming aware, which was several months earlier.

Then, throw on top of it the Gallogly disaster and him suddenly clearing out without any real explanation.

This has just been a big ugly, public mess and it sure doesn't seem that the people involved are being completely honest.

Time to take the Boren name off the OSU Veterinary Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Won't give another dime to my Alma Mater. Pure politics by henchmen out to destroy a Man who lived his life serving Oklahoma.
    It’s funny, I’ll likely increase my donation

Is this how the "secret deal" finishes? First Gallogly leaves, then Boren leaves, the investigation ends, and the school resets?

Thread Information