Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Default Best breakfast gravy?

    So the gravy for biscuits at most places we've tried is just flour and water and looks like thick milk and tastes just about the same (with maybe a bit of pepper, sometimes, but that doesn't add nearly enough flavor). Had it at Good Gravy (yes, tried multiple kinds, and it seems like they were all just cream gravy with stuff thrown in after the fact, not in the pan from the almost the beginning, but that was 5 years ago, so maybe they've gotten better), Jimmy's, Woodbridge, Hungry Frog, Katie's, Shartel Cafe, Buttermilk Paseo.

    Probably leaving out some places, but Katie's was about the best (but the rest were so average that it's not hard to be best), had sausage in it that seemed to infuse the gravy rather than just being thrown in when you order it, but they're far enough away that we don't go there anymore (as well as them having inspection problems consistently). Buttermilk's was probably better than Katie's and about 5 min away from us, but always nice to have options...

    Anybody have suggestions for good sausage-y gravy for biscuits?

  2. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

    Anybody have suggestions for good sausage-y gravy for biscuits?
    Depends on how far you want to drive on a weekday.... Grasshopper Junction in Healdton has the best pan dripping cream gravy I've had outside of my kitchen... It's made from scratch and not from a mix.

    I usually just ask for an IV drip of it when I make it over there for breakfast.

  3. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Depends on how far you want to drive on a weekday.... Grasshopper Junction in Healdton has the best pan dripping cream gravy I've had outside of my kitchen... It's made from scratch and not from a mix.

    I usually just ask for an IV drip of it when I make it over there for breakfast.
    Sounds wonderful, but if we're not driving to Edmond from 36th/May, we ain't going to Healdton. Neither of us really like to drive much, which is one of the big reasons why we moved to Venice. Thanks, though.

  4. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Sounds wonderful, but if we're not driving to Edmond from 36th/May, we ain't going to Healdton. Neither of us really like to drive much, which is one of the big reasons why we moved to Venice. Thanks, though.
    You don't like to drive? With your username?

  5. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    You don't like to drive? With your username?
    It's been kind of involuntary travelling. Signed up here and decided on the username after we decided to move back here from Seattle, where we had been for 1.5 years, which we had moved to from Chicago, where we had been for 12 years, which we had moved to from Indiana, where we had been for 6 months, which we had moved to from Milwaukee, where we had been for 6 months, which we had moved to from OKC, which I had lived in my whole life, but which my wife had moved to from North Carolina, which she had moved to from Terre Haute, which she had moved to from Dyer/Hammond, IN, where she had lived her whole life.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It's been kind of involuntary travelling. Signed up here and decided on the username after we decided to move back here from Seattle, where we had been for 1.5 years, which we had moved to from Chicago, where we had been for 12 years, which we had moved to from Indiana, where we had been for 6 months, which we had moved to from Milwaukee, where we had been for 6 months, which we had moved to from OKC, which I had lived in my whole life, but which my wife had moved to from North Carolina, which she had moved to from Terre Haute, which she had moved to from Dyer/Hammond, IN, where she had lived her whole life.
    The biscuit w/ chorizo gravy at Kitchen324 is solid. Add a poached egg on top. So much so that when I make B&G at home, I use chorizo (and heavy cream, the key to good gravy)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    These are pretty obvious, but I’d check out Sunnyside and Hatch. The people next to me at Hatch had biscuits and gravy last week and looked great but I cannot claim to have ever had it either place.

    And there is a place on Western called “Good Gravy”....just sayin.....

  8. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Will put 324 on the list (the Off The Hook folks had to use chorizo in their gravy in their Food Network show and it got raves from the judges), haven't thought about them in a long time due to all the new places. Have eaten at Sunnyside, wasn't a fan, but didn't have the biscuits/gravy. Am a fan of Hatch and Hatch Jr. (West ), but have not tried biscuits/gravy there, will give them a shot. Mentioned Good Gravy in my original post. Thx...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Sorry, I missed you said that.

    Good luck on your search and report back after your survey!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    I had the jalapeño gravy at Good Gravy expecting something like what I've had at Cheever's and was veery disappointed. It was just their usual gravy with sliced pickled jalapeños mixed in. Very lazy.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    I can tell you one place to skip for gravy and that is Syrup. Tried it twice. The first was awful (bland and tasted like it hadn't been cooked long enough) so tried it again. Still poor.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Don't care much for anything but homemade sausage gravy, but what Cracker Barrel serves is decent.

  13. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    I can tell you one place to skip for gravy and that is Syrup. Tried it twice. The first was awful (bland and tasted like it hadn't been cooked long enough) so tried it again. Still poor.
    Ha, good to know, thx, they're not on our to-try list, the Gazette review wasn't great, and we're not huge on sweet breakfasts anyway.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    HunnyBunny's mushroom gravy is pretty darn good , so based on that and the rest of their offerings I'm gonna met that their sausage grave is above average as well.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Same experience at Good Gravy for me. I love ham gravy and was excited to see they had it...was only cream gravy with ham bits in it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Ground floor cafe in Leadership Square has good sausage gravy.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Best fast food gravy? Grandy’s. Not even close.

  18. Default Re: Best breakfast gravy?

    Thx for the replies. Grandy's we just can't do, sorry. We like Buttermilk more than HunnyBunny, and wife kept trying to get Buttermilk's mushroom gravy but they were always out (and it's not on the new menu anyway, so it's moot), so we might go back to HunnyBunny for another shot at the gravy. Will check out Ground Floor Cafe, think the wife ate there when she worked downtown, but never had breakfast stuff.

    Ate at Beverly's on Sat (I'd eaten at the Pancake Corner location for many years before it was torn down, wife only ate there once with me and it had gotten kinda gross by then, but neither of us had ever eaten at the Pancake House location, so thought we'd try it). Their gravy was decent - didn't look like much, but did have more spice and flavor than lots of places we've had it at. Biscuits were kind of weird, though, slightly sweet, wife said it tasted like they added pancake batter to them, I thought it was slightly honey-tasting, but pancake batter is more accurate.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shameless Plug: My news staff reviews Good Gravy! Diner
    By bandnerd in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
  3. Any homemade sausage gravy to be found in OKC area?
    By jstaylor62 in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
  4. Top Breakfast
    By Bostonfan in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
  5. Breakfast
    By southernskye in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 01:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO