Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    There is a group on Facebook called the Fat Guy Club with over 4300 members. They had an 11 am lunch gathering there today. You will notice on some restaurant doors and on cars a sticker that is "FGC"...means they are a fellow fattie. Don't have to be a fat guy....just a fellow food guy

Confirmed. I met a few of them at Vuong's pop up dinner at Piatto's.

Sorry for the double post.

What an outstanding restaurant opening in OKC. I guess we were fortunate to wait until Thursday to try out Clark Crew after a couple of aborted attempts to get lunch there.

I ordered brisket and chicken. My wife ordered burnt ends and smoked bologna. She got the Mac and cheese and okra. I had the beans and Cole slaw.

As for the restaurant itself: what a beautiful and fun interior. It has the feel of something big and reminded me of a place one might see in Austin or Dallas. Lovely interior with great lighting, layout and design finishes. It has a refined rustic Okie flair, but not rednecky at all. Just a great space with a cool bar area.

As for the meat: the brisket was out of this world good. Fantastic, flavorful bark (mine may have been slightly overdone but it was remarkably tender), and unlike what I've come to expect from Maple's, it's not overly fatty but has enough for flavor.

The chicken was well cooked but came pre-sauced (actually more like a glaze). If I had a choice, I would ask for it naked going forward, as I'm not a big fan of sweeter sauces, and this had a sweetness to it.

The burnt ends were fantastic. They also are pre-sauced.

The bologna was very good but not necessarily a standout.

Of the sides I sampled, the Cole slaw and beans won hands down. As for the cornbread, it is a bit sweeter than I prefer but I'm sure most will like it.

One other note: they provided us a sample size of their brisket chili and I will be ordering that itself very soon. Fantastic.

I was impressed with the service we had, the creativity of the cocktails, and was surprised at the wine options, which paired very well with the meat. I had an extremely tasty and drinkable Malbec with the right balance of acid to prepare the palate for the barbecue.

It's obvious this team knows what it's doing, and the attention to detail is something I didn't expect. They did work with seasoned restaurateurs in planning this location. I would be shocked if they don't open locations in Tulsa and elsewhere within the region, as this seems like a concept that would make an excellent regional chain.

This place will be a runaway hit and fills several voids: quality full service sit-down restaurant on NW Expressway; quality BBQ restaurant with great atmosphere. BBQ place with expansive menu of non-BBQ items that look very appetizing. I could go on.

I went for lunch with some friends on Friday. Got there around 1030 just because I had time to kill, so I had a look at the smokehouse and waited for my friends. By the time they showed up at 1045, there was already a line forming. The Fat Guy Club was there in full force, and apparently had reserved the big room, so they all went in early. A little irritating, but whatever.

The interior of the place, as has been mentioned, is really nice. Unrecognizable as a Macaroni Grille in its former life. I ordered a 2 meat tray with sliced brisket, burnt ends, beans, Mac and cheese, cornbread.

Brisket was outstanding. The bark was incredibly delicious. Burnt ends were too sweet for my taste (sauce). Beans are some of the best I've had. Mac and cheese was nothing crazy or fancy, but pretty much perfect. The cornbread, though... Holy crap I could eat that all day.

We also got deviled eggs, fried pickles, and cheese curds for appetizers. The fried pickles are good, but made with sweet pickles, which aren't my thing. The deviled eggs are yummy and rich, but the curds are something else. I could eat those for a meal and be very happy.

This place is going to be a destination restaurant. People will come from miles to eat here. It's that good.

Prices on the menu might seem expensive, but they're using very good beef, and you get a lot of food for $20.
    Last edited by barrettd; 12-16-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Formatting

Multiple posts on Yelp saying they have suspended To Go orders until after the first of the year.

Seems like they are trying to concentrate on having enough quantity for dine-in customers.

BTW, there is the possibility this place will become somewhat of a regional draw.

Besides Cattleman's (and I know that's debatable), do we have any other places that fit that category? Perhaps Nic's?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Multiple posts on Yelp saying they have suspended To Go orders until after the first of the year.

Seems like they are trying to concentrate on having enough quantity for dine-in customers.
    They had a sign on the window saying there wouldn't be To Go until January.

BTW, there is the possibility this place will become somewhat of a regional draw.Besides Cattleman's (and I know that's debatable), do we have any other places that fit that category? Perhaps Nic's?
    If you're Famous Dave's and CCB is obviously going to be extremely successful, don't you try to open 100 or so locations?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    If you're Famous Dave's and CCB is obviously going to be extremely successful, don't you try to open 100 or so locations?
    Their plan has always been to replicate the concept.

But Travis Clark may not be up for many more. He has very, very high standards and that's difficult to control once you branch out.

Their plan has always been to replicate the concept.

But Travis Clark may not be up for many more. He has very, very high standards and that's difficult to control once you branch out.
    I overheard him telling the table behind us he's already got interest in opening one in Dallas and one in Chicago, but he said he wants to get this one right before he'll even think about other locations.

BTW, there is the possibility this place will become somewhat of a regional draw.

Besides Cattleman's (and I know that's debatable), do we have any other places that fit that category? Perhaps Nic's?
    Well, with the big award last year, I think Nonesuch might still qualify, but it is a small scale, high end kind of draw. Other than that, there are some definitely popular places, but I don't think anyone is driving from out of state for it. Eischen's pulls a bit, but it is on the downward trend.

I tried to get reservations at nonesuch when they opened again in, I think, September, but they were all gone when I checked that morning. I don't know where the reservations were coming from, but it definitely still has a draw.

Tried to go today for lunch but the line was out the door, it would seem the word is out on this place.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    Tried to go today for lunch but the line was out the door, it would seem the word is out on this place.
    Holy cow.

It's a big place, too.

15. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

The feedback I've heard from most of my KCBS friends has all been positive and even though they are all friends with Travis they don't typically hold back if they don't like something about BBQ.

This is the first big restaurant investment on NW Expressway in quite some time, unless you count Fuze/Feast and maybe Whiskey Cake and Cheesecake Factory, although those were driven much more by the mall than anything else. Dave & Busters may count but you can't even get there directly from the expressway.

At the same time, there have been scores of new, expensive places out on or near Memorial, most with pretty sketchy results; a bunch have closed over the last several years.

Perhaps this success will encourage more quality investment on NWEx?

As somebody who is in the area, I'm here for it.

18. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    I went today. Got there early and there were probably 25 people waiting in line when the doors opened. The place looked great and the service was very good.
    As for the food, the cheese curds were good and the deviled were OK. The ribs were good as well as the jalapeño sausage and the burnt ends. The brisket was a bit dry and a tad too salty IMO, but I'd definitely try it on my next trip. The brisket chili was basically their BBQ Beans with a couple chunks of brisket thrown in. I was disappointed in their beans after reading good reviews, but I've never found any that could top my own recipe. The Okra was standard BBQ okra which I like fine. The Cole slaw was a bit bland and their Mac and Cheese was fine, but I'm not much of a M&C guy.
    The patio wasn't open, but will be a great venue during warmer weather. All in all, I think this place was very good, but not great which is pretty good considering they've only been open 8 days. I look forward to going back.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I went today. Got there early and there were probably 25 people waiting in line when the doors opened. The place looked great and the service was very good.
    As for the food, the cheese curds were good and the deviled were OK. The ribs were good as well as the jalapeño sausage and the burnt ends. The brisket was a bit dry and a tad too salty IMO, but I'd definitely try it on my next trip. The brisket chili was basically their BBQ Beans with a couple chunks of brisket thrown in. I was disappointed in their beans after reading good reviews, but I've never found any that could top my own recipe. The Okra was standard BBQ okra which I like fine. The Cole slaw was a bit bland and their Mac and Cheese was fine, but I'm not much of a M&C guy.
    The patio wasn't open, but will be a great venue during warmer weather. All in all, I think this place was very good, but not great which is pretty good considering they've only been open 8 days. I look forward to going back.
    I went again today and your points are on target. The slaw was too dry and rather flavorless, whereas it was spectacular last week. The brisket was a bit salty but I still thinks it's amazing.

As for the beans, it's not the style I would make but they are quite good.

The kitchen was definitely struggling to keep up today. It took quite a while for our food to arrive after our order was put in.

Tip: They have open seating at the bar and all of the communal bar tables, so it's worth a look before giving up. Today, despite a long line, we found seats immediately.

They definitely have a few kinks to work out.

I agree with Pete and stated earlier that this is the first major new restaurant on the NW Expressway corridor in a long time.

The only real full-service sit-down restaurants on the expressway west of I-44 are Charleston's. Red Lobster, Friday's (is that still open), and then you're looking at places like Hideaway. The expressway is just littered with fast food chains and little else. This definitely fills a void.

Blog Entries

They quoted a 30-minute wait at 130 today but was more like 20. There was room at bar and community tables though. Greeter said usually not much wait from 230 - 430ish if looking for a non-busy window.

Food was great. We had done take out before, but this was first time for the sit down. It's a great place to have in that central location.

A lot of the negative critiques I have seen on here will be remedied after a bit more than a week of being opened. Mistakes happen, in restaurants from here to Vegas to NYC to PDX, and they are more likely to happen the first 2 to 3 weeks.

I went last night it was pack I walk to bar area and a couple had just finished eating their dinner.So within 30 seconds of walking in I get a seat at the bar. I get a glass of water and peach tea. Then I order the two meat combo ribs/brisket, corn bread, okra and there bake beans. The ribs and brisket are the best I have ever tasted. The corn bread, okra and baked beans were great also. I ate at about every barbecue place in OKC hands down Clark Crew BBQ is number one in OKC.

Went there Friday night about 6:15 and it was a 45-50 minute wait so we went to the bar and within 10 minutes had someone get up so we just ate there. This place is fabulous. Having eaten at Franklin BBQ in Austin earlier in the week this place was far better. Agree with the other posts that this will be a regional draw. - Travis Clark is a great guy and made his way throughout the venue talking with everyone. - He mentioned to us that Terry Bradshaw and Bill Murray were in there last week.

This place will be a gem for OKC.

Brisket was a little too dry, ribs a bit too tough (difficult to get the meat off the bone). All the sides are good. Burnt ends were good. Our waiter was outstanding however the waitress on the table next to us forgot about them and the couple were pretty upset about it. I will certainly be back to try more of the menu, it is massive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191222_130150.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	15741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191222_130135.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	15742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191222_132002.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	15743  

Stopped by today for lunch

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kecc5zMLe9fc8CPH8

My brisket was also a bit dry. Enjoyed the ribs and burnt ends, 1 and 1a on the plate. Macaroni was creamy, but I'd like another cheese involved.

Thread Information