Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I just hope some brisket and okra isn't $20+.
    Just stay away if you are going in with that mindset.

That's like saying you are upset that The Ranch charges $60 for a steak when you can go to Chilis and get one for $9.99

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post

That's like saying you are upset that The Ranch charges $60 for a steak when you can go to Chilis and get one for $9.99
    I love that comparison - never had thought of it that way.

I think the Judge's Tray actually looks like a decent value if you're splitting it with a few other folks. And I'd imagine that would be a very impressive plate of food when they bring it out to the table.

Apparently, per Google search they will open December 9th.

I'm not saying it will deter me... It's just not a place I would frequent if the prices are too much.

This is the Butcher BBQ podcast, David Bouska with Travis Clark, and yes , he's gonna open Dec 9th. Talk about the restaurant starts about 20 minute mark.

On comp cooking, said he changes the flavor of his meats by adjusting air flow on his Jambo offset ............. good grief, that's fine tuning.

https://butcherbbq.com/2019/11/inter...-travis-clark/

I hope it's as good as Crockett's Smokehouse. More Hoopla on this place than I can remember, and hopefully it won't be closed in a Year. His overhead has to be tremendous.
    Last edited by brian72; 11-27-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    I hope it's as good as Crockett's Smokehouse. More Hoopla on this place than I can remember, and hopefully it won't be closed in a Year. His overhead has to be tremendous.
    Where are you hearing " hoopla " ?

I would not confuse postings in this thread with " hoopla " .

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    I believe he's backed by Famous Dave's and they have over 180 locations in 33 states, so they can probably handle the overhead.

Good video from KFOR; confirmed the Dec. 9th opening:

https://kfor.com/2019/11/27/the-best...kc-restaurant/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Good video from KFOR; confirmed the Dec. 9th opening:

https://kfor.com/2019/11/27/the-best...kc-restaurant/
    I love those great state segments. The inside is beautiful.

Well, how was it?

I’m there now and will give a full report later

2PM on a Monday and the place is jammed packed.

Stopped by just after 2PM on what was opening day and the place was packed. Was fortunate to find a seat at the bar.

They were completely overwhelmed by the crowd and they were out of several things. I ordered burnt ends and sliced brisket and after waiting 45 minutes, was told they were out of both so I re-ordered, this time pulled pork and jalapeno sausage (2-meat tray was $20 which also included 2 sides).

The bar prices were very reasonable $5 for a pint of Coop F5 is about as low as you'll find in this town.

When the food came, I found the pulled pork to be the best I have ever had. It was moist and full of smokey flavor. I used a tiny bit of their spicy bbq sauce but it wasn't needed. That sauce was awesome, though. The sausage was fine but I've never been a big sausage fan to start, so I'm not a good judge.

For the sides, I thought the beans were outstanding. Smokey flavor with a bit of meat and just damn good. The mac & cheese was creamy and quite good.

I liked the bar area and directly behind is the huge patio area, which is about half covered and great space. Will be a big hit come spring IMO.

There is a separate door that leads directly into a little to-go area with a couple of cash registers. Directly next is where they are prepping the meats and behind both is the smokehouse. I didn't count but there seemed to be a small army working there.

I think this place is going to be a hit as long as people don't mind paying a bit more for high quality. The lack of meat directly after lunch is completely forgivable given the crush of people and the long lead time for batching. I'm sure they'll figure out the quantities and I look forward to trying both the burnt ends and brisket.

If you go, I'd choose off-hours for now as this place is already drawing a crowd.

Had a friend go last night, reported similarly to you. Ordered brisket and burnt ends, after 45 minutes was told they were out of them, so they re-ordered. The restaurant was going to comp his meal but he insisted on paying. Said the beans were "legit". Said he'd definitely go again, but might get it "to go".

Also, he said on his way to work this morning (6ish), there were people in the smoke house. I'm really looking forward to visiting this place.

16. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

With that expansive menu the smoked meats could be a logistical nightmare for awhile

If all you sell is BBQ. You can get a pretty good feel for how much you need a day. When you add burgers, steaks, and seafood.... Well that really complicates the equation and I can't imagine Travis Clark is going to be the kind of owner that will allow leftover BBQ to be served the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    With that expansive menu the smoked meats could be a logistical nightmare for awhile

If all you sell is BBQ. You can get a pretty good feel for how much you need a day. When you add burgers, steaks, and seafood.... Well that really complicates the equation and I can't imagine Travis Clark is going to be the kind of owner that will allow leftover BBQ to be served the next day.
    It's probably why they do offer alternatives.

The plan will probably always be to sell out of BBQ, but when they do they can offer you a pretty damn good steak.

All other legit BBQ joints, when they sell out they effectively close for the day. It actually seems like it could be a great business model.

Blog Entries

We picked up to-go late in the day and got brisket and turkey and some sides. The brisket was excellent. Turkey was turkey but the sauce made it very good. One thing that also stood out - cornbread. Man that and some of their brisket chili on a cold day...

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    We picked up to-go late in the day and got brisket and turkey and some sides. The brisket was excellent. Turkey was turkey but the sauce made it very good. One thing that also stood out - cornbread. Man that and some of their brisket chili on a cold day...
    Hey!! That reminds me I didn't get cornbread with my tray!

Blog Entries

It's probably why they do offer alternatives.

The plan will probably always be to sell out of BBQ, but when they do they can offer you a pretty damn good steak.

All other legit BBQ joints, when they sell out they effectively close for the day. It actually seems like it could be a great business model.
    Seems like that would be a deterrent to maintaining a good staff that depends on full schedules to earn a living wage.

Blog Entries

You need to go back Pete and get two pieces since they shorted you! How about that 5xl sandwich on the menu....I may have to order that sometime just to see it!

I also went on opening day. I could hear people in the booth behind me who weren't very happy about them being out of brisket. It didn't bother me as much because I knew it being opening day, they were going to have some hiccups.

The championship bbq beans were the best thing I ordered. They were made with kidney beans, pinto beans and giant chunks of brisket. The okra, potato salad, and coleslaw all tasted store bought IMO. Ribs, chicken, and pulled pork were delicious but were served to us cold. Plating could use some work, but that's being picky. Overall I would give day one a C+. Will definitely be back because I really want them to succeed.

We also got shorted our cornbread. We had to ask for it.

24. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

We tried to go today at 11:15, and there was a 45+ minute wait for 3 people. The place was absolutely packed and we didn't have the time to wait. I'm glad that they're getting this much business early on... there was a guy that had driven up from Norman just to eat there next to us. I look forward to giving it another shot when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We tried to go today at 11:15, and there was a 45+ minute wait for 3 people. The place was absolutely packed and we didn't have the time to wait. I'm glad that they're getting this much business early on... there was a guy that had driven up from Norman just to eat there next to us. I look forward to giving it another shot when I have more time.
    There is a group on Facebook called the Fat Guy Club with over 4300 members. They had an 11 am lunch gathering there today. You will notice on some restaurant doors and on cars a sticker that is "FGC"...means they are a fellow fattie. Don't have to be a fat guy....just a fellow food guy

Thread Information