Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Smokehouse being built on the west side of the building (2nd photo); patio on the south side (3rd photo).

There was some discussion further up this thread about the different smokers used by barbecue joints.

I've found a YT video that explains the difference in restaurant smokers .................... and without a doubt, the best barbecue comes from pits that use only wood.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    There was some discussion further up this thread about the different smokers used by barbecue joints.

I've found a YT video that explains the difference in restaurant smokers .................... and without a doubt, the best barbecue comes from pits that use only wood.

Give me a brick pit with wood over anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Give me a brick pit with wood over anything else.
    That would be Leo's , pit built in 1974 .

That would be Leo's , pit built in 1974 .
    Yes Leos and Hans used to have have the same set up.

6. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

.......... and without a doubt, the best barbecue comes from pits that use only wood.
    The best BBQ comes from the pitmaster that understands how his cooker works... No matter how it's fueled or what it's made of.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The best BBQ comes from the pitmaster that understands how his cooker works... No matter how it's fueled or what it's made of.
    Obviously, I don't agree with that. I think using all wood produces better smoke flavor. Gas and electric assist create challenges that can't be overcome, especially gas. And pitmaster is pretty much taken out of the process with those automated smokers. It just takes an employee to add wood when the machine tells him to.

In my backyard, I smoked with charcoal and chunks for about 15 years. It just took one smoke on my stick burner to taste what I'd been missing. That said, I still smoke using charcoal and chunk occasionally, depending upon the meat and whether I want to fire up the offset.

But barbecue is subjective. Its whatever each person likes. Some people don't want a lot of smoke flavoring on the meat, they prefer the added flavors from an injection, rub, sauce , or whatever.

Here's about as objective a smoker comparison as can be obtained. This guy has eliminated almost all the variables. Accounts from people who were there, say there was definite difference in the winner, but it was not by a lot. Comments on this can be found in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=274822

9. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

But barbecue is subjective. Its whatever each person likes. Some people don't want a lot of smoke flavoring on the meat, they prefer the added flavors from an injection, rub, sauce , or whatever.
    So if it's subjective there is some doubt which way is best?

Guess it's the KCBS judge in me... I was taught to evaluate each bite of BBQ I took based on it's own merits and not how it compared to anything else I've eaten prior..... I've eaten some amazing BBQ cooked on just about every type of cooker out there and I've eaten some really crappy BBQ cooked on the same cookers some of the top places in the country use.... The one variable being the pitmaster.

10. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Guess it's the KCBS judge in me... I was taught to evaluate each bite of BBQ I took based on it's own merits and not how it compared to anything else I've eaten prior..... I've eaten some amazing BBQ cooked on just about every type of cooker out there and I've eaten some really crappy BBQ cooked on the same cookers some of the top places in the country use.... The one variable being the pitmaster.
    Also quite possibly the cut of meat. Unless someone has some nice cloned pigs or cows I could use to keep mine consistent.

I discount comp results. At KCBS events, those people are putting a lot of different flavors on top of the smoke. Some who've done it that I respect, say it matters most what's put on the meat in final few seconds before turn in.

And they're flavoring meat for one bite, so its going to be very rich. I don't know how its possible to separate out those other ingredients from the smoke flavor.

Backyard and restaurant is a different animal. I think a safe statement is that the general consensus of backyard barbecue, is that a vast majority would prefer a stick burner. But they don't want or have the time to babysit the cook. So they use other methods. Its fair to discuss whether the improvement from burning pure wood is worth the extra trouble.

12. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

I think the safe statement is that BBQ is subjective and their is no consensus "best". It all comes down to personal choice.

I know a lot of people, usually women, that love Swadley's for the sauce... Personally I really like BurnCo in Tulsa and they cook on charcoal fueled Hasty Bakes. I also like Maple's and they're cooking on a custom built stick burner with oak, and I like Butcher BBQ who uses a pellet cooker, and I like The Flying Pig who uses an Oyler.

I've not seen Clark Crews commercial smokers but I know for competition he uses a Jambo.

Well, we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

I firmly believe there is no doubt, that pure wood is the best way to barbecue for smoke flavor.

That does not take into account many other factors , however, when people decide what type smoker to use.

14. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

I firmly believe there is no doubt, that pure wood is the best way to barbecue for smoke flavor.
    To quote the Dude....... That's just like, your opinion, man.

Just having fun with you here.... Debating BBQ is akin to debating religion or politics..... Just with a lot less name calling fortunately.

Thing about a barbecue joint using a gas or electric assist ......... is its awfully tempting for them to scrimp on the wood to save cost. And serve barbecue that does not have much smoke, then cover it up with injections, rubs, sauces.

If they're smoking with pure wood ............ there's no shortcuts.

I also wonder about air flow inside assisted smokers and pellet poopers. They have convection fans ............but I still wonder.

It appears Clarks Crew BBQ team has won the 2019 Jack Daniels , that's a prestigious title. Was won by Butcher BBQ a couple of years ago .

They have the sign up for this place now, does anyone know how far out they are from opening?

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They have the sign up for this place now, does anyone know how far out they are from opening?
    Article from Sep 12, just says this fall, but they are hiring , sounds like a KC style restaurant and operated by Famous Daves

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...ous-daves.html

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Article from Sep 12, just says this fall, but they are hiring , sounds like a KC style restaurant and operated by Famous Daves

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...ous-daves.html

Here's a Travis Clark competition brisket recipe. Which is far more complex than anything I would do in the backyard. I'm a wood/fire/smoke and salt and pepper, central Texas style brisket guy , real simple.

And Clark uses Kosmos Q rubs and injections, a local guy who has a store near H&H Gun Range. Not surprising, really. I've not tried Kosmos rubs but I do watch his YT vids. He's better known nationally than here.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe

They are spending a lot of money on this place and that smokehouse is huge.

Will be really interesting to see if they can pull off high quality Q on a big scale.

That article I posted from KC , makes it sound like this will be the first of many for Famous Daves. They hired Clark as their " National Pitmaster " and they say his style of barbecue is KC .

24. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Just an FYI... Travis Clark won the Jack this weekend.

It appears Clarks Crew BBQ team has won the 2019 Jack Daniels , that's a prestigious title. Was won by Butcher BBQ a couple of years ago .
    Yep

Thread Information