Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Well, Jambo is as good as stick burners get. I did not know they made a commercial size smoker.

2. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    Well, Jambo is as good as stick burners get. I did not know they made a commercial size smoker.
    They can custom build or he can use multiple.

If Clark competes with a stick burner, it would be my guess he'll have some kind of stick burners in that smokehouse.

As I mentioned, their plans show a big area for wood storage next to the smokehouse.

5. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

If Clark competes with a stick burner, it would be my guess he'll have some kind of stick burners in that smokehouse.
    There is no if about it... I'm a certified KCBS judge... I've seen his competition rig up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    There is no if about it... I'm a certified KCBS judge... I've seen his competition rig up close.
    I will be sitting in the parking lot taking in the aroma on occasion. Just doesn't get any better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I will be sitting in the parking lot taking in the aroma on occasion. Just doesn't get any better than this.
    There will be a patio out back where the smell should be heavenly.

I've lurked here long enough to be aware you're serious bout your barbecue.

I'm just a backyard guy, got an Old Country Brazos stick burner, a couple WSM's, a Kettle, and a Weber gasser.

Competition barbecue is a whole nother world, I pay attention to it only because competition breeds innovation, and I might pick up something new to help me. But most of what they do is way over the top for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As I mentioned, their plans show a big area for wood storage next to the smokehouse.
    Gas fired smokers burn splits also, just not near as many. Gas provides the heat and pitmaster will throw some sticks on to get some smoke flavor, its OK , if he's not stingy with the splits. I hear most of the KC joints have gone to gas, not many of the old brick pits are still around.

But IMO, great barbecue comes from burning only wood, its just different. IMO, that's whats made Aaron Franklin and those other central Texas joints.

I've lurked here long enough to be aware you're serious bout your barbecue.

I'm just a backyard guy, got an Old Country Brazos stick burner, a couple WSM's, a Kettle, and a Weber gasser.

Competition barbecue is a whole nother world, I pay attention to it only because competition breeds innovation, and I might pick up something new to help me. But most of what they do is way over the top for what I do.

If it helps, his username used to be something like "OK BBQ Anonymous" It was very recently changed

He had a panel and drove around OK trying the ribs around here every year or so.

Gas fired smokers burn splits also, just not near as many. Gas provides the heat and pitmaster will throw some sticks on to get some smoke flavor, its OK , if he's not stingy with the splits. I hear most of the KC joints have gone to gas, not many of the old brick pits are still around.

But IMO, great barbecue comes from burning only wood, its just different. IMO, that's whats made Aaron Franklin and those other central Texas joints.

I remember when Hans BBQ was around and it was strictly wood. No gas and to this day it's the best BBQ I have had in OKC. Well maybe Leos back in the day. They were pretty close IMO. But the smell was just heavenly. Hans had the big brick pits BTW.

OKCRT,
    I enjoyed Hans but Leo's had great brisket and Tom's (I-35 and 10th) had really good ribs. I ate at several others and it seems they all had something special.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    OKCRT,
    I enjoyed Hans but Leo's had great brisket and Tom's (I-35 and 10th) had really good ribs. I ate at several others and it seems they all had something special.
    C. T.
    I can't argue with those 3. Toms was also right there. Not exactly sure what type of pits Toms and leos used back in the day buy Hans had the big brick pit and the flavor was awesome to my taste buds. I'm no judge but I have had good, mediocre and just plain bad BBQ but Hans was always consistent on their ribs. I like a good sauce but didn't ever seem to use it on the Hans ribs.

There's a pic heavy review in this thread of the most popular barbecue joint in Phoenix, its another Aaron Franklin / centtral Texas type joint, which are poppin up all over. I saw a pic of one in Seattle last month and another one in Toronto. IDK if this is a trendy thing that will fade or if it will endure.

These people use the propane tank offset stick burner outside, right at the entrance. And inside they have a couple J&R electric assisted wood smokers

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?645...s-BBQ&p=846658

OKCRT,
    One of the things I liked at Tom's was their heated sauce. You never poured cold sauce on your bbq.

C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I can't argue with those 3. Toms was also right there. Not exactly sure what type of pits Toms and leos used back in the day buy Hans had the big brick pit and the flavor was awesome to my taste buds. I'm no judge but I have had good, mediocre and just plain bad BBQ but Hans was always consistent on their ribs. I like a good sauce but didn't ever seem to use it on the Hans ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    OKCRT,
    One of the things I liked at Tom's was their heated sauce. You never poured cold sauce on your bbq.

C. T.
    +1

I've never understood why you put cold sauce on hot meat. Means your food gets colder faster.

17. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Yeah, insurance and city codes have forced the commercial pitmasters to modify their methods a lot unfortunately. But it's good to see the recent influx of stick burners popping up around OKC... BBQ in general has improved a lot here since when I was blogging about it.

I'm not a stick burning purist when it comes to BBQ though... In fact I defy a lot of the BBQ myths... Yes I cook hot and fast..... I think the quality all comes from how well the pitmaster knows how to use his equipment... Those of us with a good palate may be able to pick up the fuel used and even the wood type but the average diner can't.... One reason I really enjoy BurnCo in Tulsa and The Flying Pig here is because they use charcoal fueled smokers so the flavor tastes a lot like what I cook... I cooked almost exclusively on WSM's for 15 years until I started getting asked to cook for large events and I picked up my R&O Fat Girl (Pitmaker Vault knock off) which is also charcoal fueled.

Those of us with a good palate may be able to pick up the fuel used and even the wood type but the average diner can't....
    I both fully agree and fully disagree with this. (I know, right? This is my brain 24/7, but I digress).

Where I agree is some people are able to discern the fuel used, and some people can't. While having no numbers to back it up, I would say the majority is on the can't side. Go pick a random person off the street, give him/her a rib, and then ask them what fuel was used to cook it. Odds are you'll get a blank look for an answer.

The middle ground to this is some woods have a distinct flavor, that person might be able to tell you if mesquite was used, or hickory used, of what have you.

Where I disagree is I believe while perhaps not being able to name the fuel, the average person can definitely taste a difference and will have a preference. Take that same person used in the last example, give him/her five ribs. One cooked with gas, one with charcoal, one with whatever wood or wood mixture you want to use, you get the point. While that person may not be able to say "Rib #4 is clearly a cherry/oak mixture", they will be able to hold it up and say "this one tastes better to me". When asked why, fuel won't be part of the answer they give, but it will indeed be the underlying reason.

I've seen this in just regular every day cooking. A person raised with an electric oven may find food cooked in a gas oven "weird", and vice versa. Until they learn the reason behind the weird, they can't tell you this apple pie was cooked with electric, this one was cooked with gas, they can just tell you "I like this pie, not that pie".

Yeah, insurance and city codes have forced the commercial pitmasters to modify their methods a lot unfortunately. But it's good to see the recent influx of stick burners popping up around OKC... BBQ in general has improved a lot here since when I was blogging about it.

I'm not a stick burning purist when it comes to BBQ though... In fact I defy a lot of the BBQ myths... Yes I cook hot and fast..... I think the quality all comes from how well the pitmaster knows how to use his equipment... Those of us with a good palate may be able to pick up the fuel used and even the wood type but the average diner can't.... One reason I really enjoy BurnCo in Tulsa and The Flying Pig here is because they use charcoal fueled smokers so the flavor tastes a lot like what I cook... I cooked almost exclusively on WSM's for 15 years until I started getting asked to cook for large events and I picked up my R&O Fat Girl (Pitmaker Vault knock off) which is also charcoal fueled.
    My thinking ............. there's three distinct worlds within the barbecue universe. There's competition, joints, and backyard .

For as much as each world has in common, they also have as many differences.

The comp guy who wants to take his product to the joint ...... has to make compromises. I've never eaten comp food submitted to a judge and I think only judges have done that. But the consensus is from those who have, is no one could eat a plate of it because its prepared for one bite. Its a mass of different flavors that would overwhelm the taste buds if eaten in any quantity. He has to tone down what he does. He has to cater to the general public's idea of barbecue and do it at a profit.

And if the backyard guy wants to go food truck and possible brick and mortar, he also has to make compromises in that he has to cater to the taste of the general public and also think about making a profit.

The joint has to prepare ribs that fall of the bone, while most of us who do this would say that's over cooked. And the public wants a barbecue sandwich, which is what I do with pulled pork from the freezer when we need a quick meal.

In my backyard world, the food I get from my stick burner is better than anything I've done on WSM's, and I got my first WSM in 2002. Although I still smoke on my WSM's. There's times I don't wanna babysit that stick burner, there's no " set and forget " about it. It takes some dedication.

And I still have a lot of questions about charcoal and chunk smoking. I don't see any way of avoiding getting bad smoke from smoldering chunks at low temps. I'm gonna do yardbird on my WSM this week, but I will not use the water pan and run it wide open, probably cook around 325* using cherry wood, and doing that I can get clean smoke. Going hot and fast is almost mandatory with charcoal and chunks, IMO.

But I think hot and fast is now more the norm. When I first started , 17 years ago, smoking between 225 and 250 was the most common, now I don't know how many people still do that. I had to be getting dirty smoke from smoldering wood chunks at those low temps. Its very hard for me to keep my stick burner at 250, it wants to run hotter usually 275 to 325.

If I want to eat barbecue, I smoke my own. But I also enjoy visiting the joints occasionally, I like to taste what others are smoking. And I can't do brisket as well as Texlahoma or Maples. Those guys smoke more brisket in a day, than I have in the last 20 years.

I'm just a backyard BBQ guy but I'm all charcoal and wood chips. I also use a mix of apple or pecan and mesquite. Most Oklahoma BBQ use hickory, but I just have a thing for mesquite, and temper it with apple or pecan.

I also do my smoking on my Weber Kettle and will sometimes do it closer to 275 or even 300 at times. It takes more tending and attention, but that's kind of the point for me. It helps that I don't have to make BBQ for more than 5 or 6 people at a time too. lol

Here is a close up of the smokehouse to be constructed on the NW corner of the building.

You can see two large propane tank type cookers; not sure what the rest is.

My guess, and that's all it is, they're warmers. Brisket has to rest for several hours after its taken off the smoker.

Or possibly gas or electric assist smokers.

I drive by this place almost every day - is there a reason the AVAILABLE sign is still out front if work has already started..? Is this locked in?

Quote Originally Posted by cappa View Post
    I drive by this place almost every day - is there a reason the AVAILABLE sign is still out front if work has already started..? Is this locked in?
    Yes, locked in.

Lease signed, building permit issues, work underway, confirmed with Mr. Clark himself.

Lots of work going on there now.

Thread Information