Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Clark Crew BBQ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

We went for our first time Friday. About 4:00 since we both get off earlier than most. No wait at that time but we went to the bar which is our usual M.O. We got deviled eggs and split a three meat dinner with chopped brisket, chopped pork and ribs. Got beans and potato salad as sides and added a side of okra. I can be accused of being easily pleased but we LOVED it. All three meats were tender and tasty. All three sauces we liked. The beans were great. The okra was crunchy on the outside without being over-fried, but not squishy in the middle like under-fried okra is. The potato salad is just potato salad but it’s good. The cornbread would be worth going in for just for it. Our usual M.O. is to to sit at bars because we think you get more personal service at the bar top. They did not disappoint. We were very well taken care of. We’ll be back often.

2. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Lol yep, I always use curing salt and it makes a great looking ring.

Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Just smoke a piece of meat the right way and you get the ring. I don't consider myself an expert by any means and I never have a difficult time getting a smoke ring.

One OU gameday this last season I was smoking some pork butts and I had to leave for the game before they were ready so my wife had to pull them from the smoker. She sent me two pictures to ask if they looked the way they were supposed to. She was also trying to cut them with a knife. lol. This was just pork shoulders, with dry rub on them, smoked on a Weber Smokey Mountain for about an hour and a half per pound until the internal temp was 200 degrees. I also barely used any wood chunks since my wife doesn't like heavy smoke flavor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77366716_1028652797509906_7923306172457680896_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	15775

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78149621_582871449146807_4039177271691444224_n.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	15776

Again, smoke ring isn't difficult to create and is actually not usually truly indicative of good smoked BBQ either. It's the same as perfect cross hatch grill marks on a steak. It's pretty, but doesn't need to be there for a steak to be seared properly and taste very good.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Just smoke a piece of meat the right way and you get the ring.
    those pics are making me hungry! as for the smoke ring, there's a little more to it than that. your fuel source also determines whether or not you get a 'natural' smoke ring... if you're running an electric or propane cooker, then you're not going to get a ring from the cooking process.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    those pics are making me hungry! as for the smoke ring, there's a little more to it than that. your fuel source also determines whether or not you get a 'natural' smoke ring... if you're running an electric or propane cooker, then you're not going to get a ring from the cooking process.
    At my house only charcoal gets used for smoking meats. That's probably why I've never had a hard time getting one. lol

So I’m not a connoisseur of bbq, but finally got to try it out this week and was very impressed. Burnt ends were amazing. Brisket and jalapeńo sausage were both good, although I couldn’t used more jalapeńo in the sausage. Mac and cheese was good, but corn bread and creamed corn was some of the best I’ve ever had. Homemade chips were solid and Nashville chicken sandwich was pretty good too. Never seek out bbq, but usually enjoy it when we go. Clark Crew will probably get into our rotation. Just not sure how often, as there’s so many new places to eat in the city on top of places that we routinely visit.

My buddy went last week and really enjoyed, but he also got his burnt ends "naked" (unsauced), which is what I'll do next time. He also highly recommended the pork rinds and said the turkey was also delicious.

Looks like they are going to start offering BBQ classes in May.

Great idea and I bet they get plenty of takers.

9. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looks like they are going to start offering BBQ classes in May.

Great idea and I bet they get plenty of takers.
    Makes sense.... Travis has been offering competition classes for several years now.

I went to Clark Crew mid afternoon on Saturday and the wait was an hour long. LOL, no thank you. Hopefully the new wears off of this place soon and the wait times will decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I went to Clark Crew mid afternoon on Saturday and the wait was an hour long. LOL, no thank you. Hopefully the new wears off of this place soon and the wait times will decrease.
    The new will wear off, but the wait time will likely remain. Especially when they're not only putting out good food, but are the only real BBQ option in the immediate area that's not a chain.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that, not for a while at least. A good long while.

My wife and I went (as I mentioned in my review several posts back) on a Friday afternoon about 5:30 and had only a 35-40 minute wait. Timing is everything. And the wait was worth every picosecond.

If they sucked there would be no wait. Lol. If you want to go to a good restaurant on a weekend, there will be a wait. Try going to brunch at Cafe Kacao. We went last Saturday and by 9 am they stopped taking names because they were at a 4 hour wait. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    If they sucked there would be no wait. Lol. If you want to go to a good restaurant on a weekend, there will be a wait. Try going to brunch at Cafe Kacao. We went last Saturday and by 9 am they stopped taking names because they were at a 4 hour wait. Seriously.
    Kacao is also tiny AF.
    Was the building a pizza hut in its former life?
    Just not a lot of space in there, and the food is obviously amazing.

They will do even more business when it's nice outside, as that back patio is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They will do even more business when it's nice outside, as that back patio is huge.
    Brings up a question. When they can sit more folks in good weather months what will that do to the wait times? Do they have extra cooking capacity to serve more seats or will wait time increase? And if they can increase food, will they maintain same quality?

also, when they tell you the wait. check for seats in the Bar area... i also stopped by on saturday and was told the hour wait, but sat immediately at the Bar and ate and was leaving while some of the people in line were still waiting when i left

I'm sure they have plenty of cooking capacity, it's just more of a guessing game to start cooking meat a half a day before you know the actual demand.

I admire the ambition and scale, but it's clearly going to take them some time to figure all this out.

Went today early afternoon with friends the wait was only 15 minutes. The food was simply awesome and plentiful. They should probably move the cornbread to dessert section its that good.

Found out the outside patio area behind the bar - they made the windows so in warmer weather they can open directly to the bar so you can get bar service outside. Pretty cool idea.

Would recommend.

They have re-opened their to-go service.

21. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Got some ribs, brisket and burnt ends to go yesterday. It was really good (their BBQ beans are fantastic). I can't wait to go back and sit down to enjoy a meal.

Friends brought over some Clark Crew ribs. Now my mitochondrial DNA forbids me from eating pork but what the hey its COVID season and all bets are off. Oh my goodness these ribs were a treat that's hard to beat. I'll dream about these ribs long after my guilt subsides. Two thumbs up!!!

23. Default Re: Clark Crew BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Friends brought over some Clark Crew ribs. Now my mitochondrial DNA forbids me from eating pork but what the hey its COVID season and all bets are off. Oh my goodness these ribs were a treat that's hard to beat. I'll dream about these ribs long after my guilt subsides. Two thumbs up!!!
    I’ve stopped on the way home and picked up ribs and sides during this COVID thing. The ribs are something to dream about.

I haven't had the ribs (I smoke too many of them at home to have any desire to order them when I'm out), but if you haven't tried the burnt ends (naked, no sauce), you're missing out.

I heard great reviews about this place from my friends and family so I will have to give it a try!

Thread Information