Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tap Rooms and Price of Beer

Default Re: Tap Rooms and Price of Beer

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'll say this, as a product creator, you don't want to devalue your product. Samples are one thing, but if you sell a beer at $3 or $4 a pint, then that's what it's worth, even at a regular bar, and people won't buy it for $6-10. You would want to keep your tap prices comparable to bars/restaurants. It's not about making money (ok, yes, at the end of the day it's ALL about making money), but it is a disservice to the bars that give you room on their taps for their product if you, in addition to directly competing with them, also undercut them. I know if I had a bar I'd be less likely to give up one of the spots on my tap to a brewery who was selling the product down the street themselves for significantly less.
    Yep, I agree with this. What I don't get is that Prairie is selling bottled beer for $2 more than pretty much any liquor store does. That's why I stopped buying bottled/canned beer at restaurants, just cannot see paying as much for 1 beer for what 3 of them cost in total at my liquor store. Draft is a whole other deal since that's a very site-specific thing that can't be reproduced at a store.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yep, I agree with this. What I don't get is that Prairie is selling bottled beer for $2 more than pretty much any liquor store does. That's why I stopped buying bottled/canned beer at restaurants, just cannot see paying as much for 1 beer for what 3 of them cost in total at my liquor store. Draft is a whole other deal since that's a very site-specific thing that can't be reproduced at a store.
    Oh, I agree with this. And I feel the same with bottled/canned beer at bars. I understand they have to make a profit, but when one beer costs as much as a pack, I feel like it's a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'll say this, as a product creator, you don't want to devalue your product. Samples are one thing, but if you sell a beer at $3 or $4 a pint, then that's what it's worth, even at a regular bar, and people won't buy it for $6-10. You would want to keep your tap prices comparable to bars/restaurants. It's not about making money (ok, yes, at the end of the day it's ALL about making money), but it is a disservice to the bars that give you room on their taps for their product if you, in addition to directly competing with them, also undercut them. I know if I had a bar I'd be less likely to give up one of the spots on my tap to a brewery who was selling the product down the street themselves for significantly less.
    Nailed it.

Thread Information