Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Radio

1. Default Local Radio

What OKC radio station do you listen to for weather when we have severe weather? Back in the day, KTOK had their own meteorologist, but no more. Is there a local station that is committed to weather coverage when we have severe weather?

Default Re: Local Radio

KTOK still does non-stop coverage when severe storms are entering the area, but it's an audio feed from KFOR.

I have a weather radio that broadcasts from the NWS whenever there is bad weather brewing. No commercials, no hype, just info. In Oklahoma it is a good purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    What OKC radio station do you listen to for weather when we have severe weather? Back in the day, KTOK had their own meteorologist, but no more. Is there a local station that is committed to weather coverage when we have severe weather?
    I find more and more people in OKC listening to 740 AM KRMG out of Tulsa. Their signal easily stretches into the OKC metro. The morning and afternoon news programs give some form of weather what seems every 90 seconds, and their local programming is strictly news/weather/traffic. Very little, if any opinion/commentary, and very fast paced. Other than a few Tulsa-local stories, they do a great job of covering state and national news of the day. For day to day weather, forecast for Tulsa and OKC are pretty similar with the timeline a few hours earlier in OKC. From my understanding their "newsroom" is staffed 24/7 and they break-in with severe weather updates, obviously those are primarily Tulsa based. KRMG and FOX 23 are both owned by COX TV/RADIO, so they have an easy partnership for name recognition on weather forecasts.

Wish OKC had a station like this that focuses so much on live coverage of news and weather, versus local commentary and opinion.

5. Default Re: Local Radio

I used to listen to KRMG all the time years ago. I loved John Erling is the mornings. I pretty much listen to WBAP in Dallas overnight and then put on WWLS for sports news after 9:00am. I love the Red Eye radio show over night. I got an Echo a few months ago and love now being able to listen to stations all over the country, but I wish we had a good local talk and weather station here in OKC.

I think The Drive on KOKC with Mac and Chad is a good program for wonky local stuff. Chad Alexander does a very good job giving color to what's going on at the capitol and then offers an appreciated non-doctrinaire take on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I think The Drive on KOKC with Mac and Chad is a good program for wonky local stuff. Chad Alexander does a very good job giving color to what's going on at the capitol and then offers an appreciated non-doctrinaire take on things.
    But sometimes with a huge gap in historical knowledge.

Well that's probably fair. The trouble with that is that we've had legislative term limits since 1990. That has resulted in a huge turnover of anyone who had institutional knowledge. The folks I know who are lobbyists are only at any given job for a few months at a time, which I'm sure was the case with Chad Alexander. Having been capitol-adjacent, there is very little institutional memory or will to preserve it. Just this week, we're suddenly looking at changing our Supreme Court districts too coincide with our congressional districts and have the remaining 4 spots be at large selections which will fundamentally alter what the Oklahoma Supreme Court is with regard to representing ALL of Oklahoma.

Wow...a thread on local radio managed to go political. Within the first ten posts even. Impressive.

Facts aren't political. They're just facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Facts aren't political. They're just facts.
    Not in 2019 when you have certain facts that are labeled as “hate facts.”

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not in 2019 when you have certain facts that are labeled as “hate facts.”
    and fake facts... and alternative facts... can't forget those too

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    and fake facts... and alternative facts... can't forget those too
    I try to forgot those are a thing. You just reminded me.

Noticed with the hail and storms that hit the north side of the metro today (3-23-19), while no tornado warnings, the iHeart Radio group of stations went with wall to wall coverage with their TV partner KFOR. KFOR did a good job with intersection locations and visual descriptions for all of us stuck in a car trying to avoid the mess while out in NW OKC.

Tyler and Cumulus stations appeared to be in full automation mode. Wondering if they had people actually at the studios or if the criteria is different in determining when to pick up TV severe weather coverage compared to iHeart.

Either way, appreciated iHeart had a person(s) watching the weather and made the flip to inform listeners.

Does anyone know where the hail hit yesterday morning? Also was it just pea size or was there some bigger stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Does anyone know where the hail hit yesterday morning? Also was it just pea size or was there some bigger stuff?
    NW OKC and Edmond got it, was just at lunch talking to my brother and mom, and they live around 2nd/Santa Fe and 33rd/Boulevard and they got up to golf-ball size around 33rd/Blvd.

Latest local radio ratings from Arbit...err...Nielsen. ...https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb083Can’t get basic format options here on the site in the text box. Can’t even force a line break. Did something change?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Latest local radio ratings from Arbit...err...Nielsen. ...https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb083Can’t get basic format options here on the site in the text box. Can’t even force a line break. Did something change?
    It's amazing that HD channels rate anywhere on the list. KXXY's HD channel, which rebroadcasts KTOK AM isn't on it. I like to listen to it, especially at night for Coast to Coast AM, since KTOK's AM reception sucks in Stillwater so much it's unlistenable. But then KTOK can be caught live online, so another reason why HD radio is having a hard time catching on.

19. Default Re: Local Radio

seems to be missing the urban and hip hop stations in OKC, KRMP and KVSP. ...not surprised KJ-103 is #1 but I am surprised WILD is mid-pack and not higher - I actually listen to it online as it's (and KVSP are) far superior to anything up here IMO. I can listen to songs played in OKC one, two or more months before they're played in Seattle, if at all (particularly KVSP, a real hip hop station).Now one thing I see that is completely ridiculous about the OKC market is the number of sports stations. Is OKC that gung ho about sports? I also think 2 country stations is enough. OKC should get some of those to try Dance music, smooth Jazz, and maybe Asian instead of having 6+ sports stations. ... good golly.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    seems to be missing the urban and hip hop stations in OKC, KRMP and KVSP. ...not surprised KJ-103 is #1 but I am surprised WILD is mid-pack and not higher - I actually listen to it online as it's (and KVSP are) far superior to anything up here IMO. I can listen to songs played in OKC one, two or more months before they're played in Seattle, if at all (particularly KVSP, a real hip hop station).Now one thing I see that is completely ridiculous about the OKC market is the number of sports stations. Is OKC that gung ho about sports? I also think 2 country stations is enough. OKC should get some of those to try Dance music, smooth Jazz, and maybe Asian instead of having 6+ sports stations. ... good golly.
    Remember, these are the publicly available 12+ ratings. When you see key demographics, this changes a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    If you thought country stations were bad, you should see how my evangelical stations we have. When you add the Christian music stations in with the Catholic and other sermon stations I would say you are nearly at 50% of the stations I receive clearly while on my way to and from work.

I primarily listen to podcasts nowadays due to the lack of variety in the OKC market.

Not Surprised that The Sports Animal once again beat The Franchise in Ratings.

??

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    If you thought country stations were bad, you should see how my evangelical stations we have. When you add the Christian music stations in with the Catholic and other sermon stations I would say you are nearly at 50% of the stations I receive clearly while on my way to and from work.

I primarily listen to podcasts nowadays due to the lack of variety in the OKC market.
    Variety on the FM dial seems to be decreasing everywhere. Here in Phoenix it's a glut of Spanish language stations and Top 40. Though I do like Top 40 and think the stations here are quite a bit better than KJ103, I still find myself listening to my phone or SiriusXM more often. It just beats FM radio in almost every way. It is crazy the amount of Christian stations OKC has, especially considering that unlike other formats, most of them are non-profit and typically run by ministries.

I think with Millennials and younger more or less moving beyond FM, the platform is going to evolve to become more like AM. Station formats will appeal to older audiences and as the years go on, there will likely be more and more FM talk stations. The days of sitting by your FM radio boom box waiting for the latest hit song to be played ended probably sometime around the turn of the decade if not a little before.

When I'm on my computer I'll listen to KXT out of Dallas (97.1) (kxt.org). Subscriber funded with few commercials. They play a wide range of music with some local Dallas music thrown in. You should give it a try.

Thread Information