Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Local Radio

Default Re: Local Radio

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Just read that Wild 104.9 has let go of the morning show crew and now airing a syndicated show in the mornings, guess it happen last week, heard that Bill Reed from KXY is now on Hank FM in the afternoons, glad that he got a job right quick after he was let go last week.
    A lot of people said that others would follow suit after what iHeartMedia did and it looks like that's exactly what is happening. Here is an interesting article and I agree with all of it's points.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/01/20...ng-radio-jobs/

As for Wild 104.9, I'm surprised that station is still around. My guess is that it survives because Power 103.5's signal is so weak in the OKC metro it's nearly unlistenable. Still, the station today is a shell of what it was back in the 2000s when it was on 97.9. That ties directly back into what the article above gets at. Wild 97.9 was interesting because it took chances and offered something different. It pushed the envelope for it's day. The biggest problem with radio today is it seems like it doesn't even want to try to compete with streaming. It's a shame because I still believe FM is a better format in a lot of ways because it's so accessible.

I was listening to 104.9 today and it wasn’t bad. They had a decent playlist going. I wish 103.5 was on a stronger frequency though.

I listen primarily to podcasts nowadays simply because I feel like our radio is not local enough. So if I am going to be forced to listen to syndicated radio from outside the OKC area, then I might as well listen to podcasts about the topics I am interested in. If I do listen to radio I will listen to KOKC for Mac and Chad in the afternoons, but other than that they play a lot of national stuff throughout the day.

4. Default Re: Local Radio

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    As for Wild 104.9, I'm surprised that station is still around. My guess is that it survives because Power 103.5's signal is so weak in the OKC metro it's nearly unlistenable. Still, the station today is a shell of what it was back in the 2000s when it was on 97.9. That ties directly back into what the article above gets at. Wild 97.9 was interesting because it took chances and offered something different. It pushed the envelope for it's day. The biggest problem with radio today is it seems like it doesn't even want to try to compete with streaming. It's a shame because I still believe FM is a better format in a lot of ways because it's so accessible.
    That is 100% exactly why I miss stations like 94.7 The BUZZ. They pushed the envelope, played a ton of great music instead of just trying to clone the KATT, showcased local bands and pulled them into into their rotation... The stations that replaced the BUZZ are just flat and lifeless... a corporate, homogenized product that just sucks. Tulsa's Z104.5 The Edge (Stephens Media Group) and north Chicago's 95 WIIL Rock (Alpha Media) are both owned by smaller media companies and they're both super fun to listen to because they aren't some big homogenized product. 92.9 The Edge (Tyler Media) here in OKC is also pretty good, but I feel they need a bit more in the way of on-air personalities and local community involvement outside of just ticket giveaways.

Thread Information