Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: Local Radio

  1. #51

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Just read that Wild 104.9 has let go of the morning show crew and now airing a syndicated show in the mornings, guess it happen last week, heard that Bill Reed from KXY is now on Hank FM in the afternoons, glad that he got a job right quick after he was let go last week.
    A lot of people said that others would follow suit after what iHeartMedia did and it looks like that's exactly what is happening. Here is an interesting article and I agree with all of it's points.

    https://www.dailynews.com/2020/01/20...ng-radio-jobs/

    As for Wild 104.9, I'm surprised that station is still around. My guess is that it survives because Power 103.5's signal is so weak in the OKC metro it's nearly unlistenable. Still, the station today is a shell of what it was back in the 2000s when it was on 97.9. That ties directly back into what the article above gets at. Wild 97.9 was interesting because it took chances and offered something different. It pushed the envelope for it's day. The biggest problem with radio today is it seems like it doesn't even want to try to compete with streaming. It's a shame because I still believe FM is a better format in a lot of ways because it's so accessible.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Local Radio

    I was listening to 104.9 today and it wasn’t bad. They had a decent playlist going. I wish 103.5 was on a stronger frequency though.

  3. #53

    Default Re: Local Radio

    I listen primarily to podcasts nowadays simply because I feel like our radio is not local enough. So if I am going to be forced to listen to syndicated radio from outside the OKC area, then I might as well listen to podcasts about the topics I am interested in. If I do listen to radio I will listen to KOKC for Mac and Chad in the afternoons, but other than that they play a lot of national stuff throughout the day.

  4. Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    As for Wild 104.9, I'm surprised that station is still around. My guess is that it survives because Power 103.5's signal is so weak in the OKC metro it's nearly unlistenable. Still, the station today is a shell of what it was back in the 2000s when it was on 97.9. That ties directly back into what the article above gets at. Wild 97.9 was interesting because it took chances and offered something different. It pushed the envelope for it's day. The biggest problem with radio today is it seems like it doesn't even want to try to compete with streaming. It's a shame because I still believe FM is a better format in a lot of ways because it's so accessible.
    That is 100% exactly why I miss stations like 94.7 The BUZZ. They pushed the envelope, played a ton of great music instead of just trying to clone the KATT, showcased local bands and pulled them into into their rotation... The stations that replaced the BUZZ are just flat and lifeless... a corporate, homogenized product that just sucks. Tulsa's Z104.5 The Edge (Stephens Media Group) and north Chicago's 95 WIIL Rock (Alpha Media) are both owned by smaller media companies and they're both super fun to listen to because they aren't some big homogenized product. 92.9 The Edge (Tyler Media) here in OKC is also pretty good, but I feel they need a bit more in the way of on-air personalities and local community involvement outside of just ticket giveaways.

  5. Default Re: Local Radio

    I personally like Wild and listen to it regularly over IHeart because the product here in Seattle is far inferior. The on-air personalities on Wild alone makes it for me (Andrew Ack-right!!!), along with music you NEVER hear on KUBE 93.

    I do agree about KVSP 103.5 and its weak signal but I think even if it were stronger Wild would still exist because it's not a true Hip Hop or Top 40 station but is both with a Rhythmic take. It's nice for OKC to have the very strong, hard (music wise) Hip Hop station and the rhythmic Hip Hop alternative. Truth be told I can't often pick up 103.5's internet signal either, so Wild again fills the void there too.

    To me I think it's really KJ103 that's boring and corporate in OKC which is sad because I remember the chances they took back in the late 1980s when I was in high school (remember Sage Whitmire?? who brought OKC very nice euro-techno and house music) and before that when KOFM 104.1 was OKC's #1 Hit Music Station, KJ was the local, rhythmic "alternative". Now as Oklahoma's undisputed #1 Hit Music Station - meh, same old playlist wearing out loud mouth, disgusting people like LIZZO who shouldn't be on the radio EVER - over and over just like radio up here (92.5, 106.1).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

  6. #56

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I personally like Wild and listen to it regularly over IHeart because the product here in Seattle is far inferior. The on-air personalities on Wild alone makes it for me (Andrew Ack-right!!!), along with music you NEVER hear on KUBE 93.

    I do agree about KVSP 103.5 and its weak signal but I think even if it were stronger Wild would still exist because it's not a true Hip Hop or Top 40 station but is both with a Rhythmic take. It's nice for OKC to have the very strong, hard (music wise) Hip Hop station and the rhythmic Hip Hop alternative. Truth be told I can't often pick up 103.5's internet signal either, so Wild again fills the void there too.
    I think Wild is still being programmed in OKC? If so, that's why you hear music on there you don't hear on other stations. The station was downright awful back around 2012 through around 2015 when they attempted to do the national simulcast thing. Hopefully they don't go back to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    To me I think it's really KJ103 that's boring and corporate in OKC which is sad because I remember the chances they took back in the late 1980s when I was in high school (remember Sage Whitmire?? who brought OKC very nice euro-techno and house music) and before that when KOFM 104.1 was OKC's #1 Hit Music Station, KJ was the local, rhythmic "alternative". Now as Oklahoma's undisputed #1 Hit Music Station - meh, same old playlist wearing out loud mouth, disgusting people like LIZZO who shouldn't be on the radio EVER - over and over just like radio up here (92.5, 106.1).
    KJ 103 was better back when Frito (who was recently laid off) was PD. He was still with the station even though he hasn't been PD for a few years since iHeartMedia switched all their Top 40 stations to the same, boring national playlist, just like Wild had previously done. It almost killed the station.

    Once again, if you are trying to compete with Spotify and Pandora, this is absolutely NOT how you do it.

  7. #57

    Default Re: Local Radio

    They have been several layoffs at Tyler Media today. Jack Elliott from 1520 KOKC has been let go as well as Andrew Gilman and Colby Daniels from 107.7 The Franchise also has been let go.

  8. #58

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    They have been several layoffs at Tyler Media today. Jack Elliott from 1520 KOKC has been let go as well as Andrew Gilman and Colby Daniels from 107.7 The Franchise also has been let go.
    wow suprised about Daniels

  9. #59

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    They have been several layoffs at Tyler Media today. Jack Elliott from 1520 KOKC has been let go as well as Andrew Gilman and Colby Daniels from 107.7 The Franchise also has been let go.
    Gilman was awful so no surprise there but I didn't think Daniels was that bad so that is a bit surprising.

    Gilman was a know it all contrarian and was always incredibly negative and no fun to listen to but he masked it as realism I guess.

    Daniels didn't seem like he was a sport expert by any means but he seemed like a good host for his show with Sam.

  10. #60

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Also gone are Kent Jones from KOMA, and everybody on the afternoon show on KOKC, it's crazy.

  11. Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    They have been several layoffs at Tyler Media today. Jack Elliott from 1520 KOKC has been let go as well as Andrew Gilman and Colby Daniels from 107.7 The Franchise also has been let go.
    Layoffs always suck for those involved, but oh man, that's a super, super tough break for Jack Elliott... He got laid off from Cumulus 3 years ago, when they dumped the Jack & Ron Morning Show from Fun 96.9.

  12. #62

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Layoffs always suck for those involved, but oh man, that's a super, super tough break for Jack Elliott... He got laid off from Cumulus 3 years ago, when they dumped the Jack & Ron Morning Show from Fun 96.9.
    Awww. Poor Jack. He has to be the single most crude, crass man child in all of radio in this town.

  13. #63

    Default Re: Local Radio

    I got really tired of The Impeachment Hearing Coverage on both of my favorite local NPR stations. So, I tuned the dial to Alice (96.9) after skipping over some truly lame "Country" stations. Alice had a nice playlist. Good variety. Maybe tomorrow I'll go in search of that jazz station about which there are rumors.

  14. #64

    Default Re: Local Radio

    [QUOTE=RadicalModerate;1103463]I got really tired of The Impeachment Hearing Coverage on both of my favorite local NPR stations. So, I tuned the dial to Alice (96.9) after skipping over some truly lame "Country" stations. Alice had a nice playlist. Good variety. Maybe tomorrow I'll go in search of that jazz I'm with ya
    Last edited by brian72; 01-29-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: d

  15. #65

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I got really tired of The Impeachment Hearing Coverage on both of my favorite local NPR stations. So, I tuned the dial to Alice (96.9) after skipping over some truly lame "Country" stations. Alice had a nice playlist. Good variety. Maybe tomorrow I'll go in search of that jazz station about which there are rumors.
    is the Martini coming back?
    what frequency ?

  16. #66

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    is the Martini coming back?
    what frequency ?
    OKC had a radio station called the Martini?!?
    I would love to know more about this i.e. when was this?

  17. #67

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    OKC had a radio station called the Martini?!?
    I would love to know more about this i.e. when was this?
    Was on the air for maybe 2 years. like 2011 to 2013
    very enjoyable station
    http://oklahomarock.com/okcs-1053-fm-jazzes-things-up/

  18. #68

    Default Re: Local Radio

    With all of the posts about decline in local radio, on a positive note, UCO just moved Classical Music KUCO FM downtown a few weeks ago into a brand new studio at the Santa Fe Plaza:

    https://oklahoman.com/gallery/604090...santa-fe-plaza

    For those that are old enough to remember, WKY-AM use to broadcast just across the street from the Skirvin Hotel, I think up until the late 50's?

  19. #69

    Default Re: Local Radio

    I've continued to tune into 96.9 because they play what I consider to be a good mix of music from back when MTV was worth watching to more contemporary tunes. I have a question that is more about a technicality than content. Do stations like this somehow digitally remix or enhance the original versions of the music for broadcast? Many of the old songs seem much richer and fuller than I remember them to be in terms of boosted bass, enhanced drums, etc. b.t.w. I'm listening on an old school, factory installed, radio in an old Chevy truck. Just curious.

    p.s. Does anyone remember that All Jazz All the Time station from back in the 80's or early 90's?

  20. #70

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I've continued to tune into 96.9 because they play what I consider to be a good mix of music from back when MTV was worth watching to more contemporary tunes. I have a question that is more about a technicality than content. Do stations like this somehow digitally remix or enhance the original versions of the music for broadcast? Many of the old songs seem much richer and fuller than I remember them to be in terms of boosted bass, enhanced drums, etc. b.t.w. I'm listening on an old school, factory installed, radio in an old Chevy truck. Just curious.

    p.s. Does anyone remember that All Jazz All the Time station from back in the 80's or early 90's?
    Someone in thread said it was 97.9 KTNT. Not sure if that's the one you were thinking of. OKC radio never had a plethora of true jazz stations. I do think KGOU still does the national broadcast of the John Pitzarelli (sp?) show.

  21. #71

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Someone in thread said it was 97.9 KTNT. Not sure if that's the one you were thinking of. OKC radio never had a plethora of true jazz stations. I do think KGOU still does the national broadcast of the John Pitzarelli (sp?) show.
    My SweetHeart and I like to refer to Saturday Night as Radio Night. Even after Garrison "A Prairie Home Companion" Keillor was declared a non-person by the media powers that be up around Minnesota a few years ago. The programming on one of the local stations is pretty good: "Woodsongs Radio Hour" (Kentucky). . . "The Underground Martini Bunker" (Kansas City) . . . "Weekend Radio." (Cleveland). "Radio: The Theater of the Mind" =~)

    p.s. Mark Shannon was one of the best.

  22. #72

    Default Re: Local Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    KGOU still does the national broadcast of the John Pitzarelli (sp?) show.
    last i heard radio deluxe with John Pitzarelli is on sunday night i believe at 8pm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Local TV, radio & newspaper people - changes and information
    By JohnH_in_OKC in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
  3. Local Radio's Lack Of Obligation during a "State Of Emergency"
    By sumrzz in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 11:42 PM
  4. Support New Local FM Radio Stations
    By Bunty in forum Politics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 01:16 AM
  5. Mo Radio Show on 94.7
    By travich in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 01:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO