Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Radio

Default Re: Local Radio

I won't be surprised if FM stations eventually shut down and broadcast entirely from the Internet. The electricity bill to power a 100,000 watt station is surely more than the Internet service bill. The only thing keeping it from happening for now is that it costs listeners to get their music and talk from the Internet.

I'm a millennial and I stream Z104.5 The Edge out of Tulsa for their excellent alternative playlist fairly often, as well as 95 WIIL ROCK out of Union Grove IL (roughly halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee) for their active rock playlist as well as the Tom and Emily morning show. I do still listen to FM radio in the car, but for my preferred genres of music we don't have a lot of good local options. 92.9 The Edge is fairly decent for modern alternative, but if I'm in more of an active rock kind of mood I'm rarely satisfied with 100.5 The KATT or 94.7 The Brew... I'll stream 97.5 KMOD out of Tulsa before putting up with those two. I still sorely miss 94.7 The Buzz. And we have zero options for EDM (trance/progressive) that I'm aware of, so that's all podcasts or streaming for me too.

I often find terrestrial radio less hassle than streaming and would honestly listen to FM radio more if our stations were more to my liking.

97.7 The City is nice for easy listening. KOSU has the Spy and while it's not my bag, at least it's local and not Top 40.

I really miss the old smooth jazz station that had the late night programming. "Lights Out", was a female DJ. I forget the station call letters, but her voice was like a tonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I really miss the old smooth jazz station that had the late night programming. "Lights Out", was a female DJ. I forget the station call letters, but her voice was like a tonic.
    I think that was 97.9 KTNT-FM. That was a really nice station, my Dad used to listen to them all the time and was supremely confused and disappointed when they flipped to Wild 97.9 (Rhythmic CHR).

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It's amazing that HD channels rate anywhere on the list. KXXY's HD channel, which rebroadcasts KTOK AM isn't on it. I like to listen to it, especially at night for Coast to Coast AM, since KTOK's AM reception sucks in Stillwater so much it's unlistenable. But then KTOK can be caught live online, so another reason why HD radio is having a hard time catching on.
    The FM translators are being counted as the HD feeds. So while listed as HD getting the credit in the ratings, more than likely a large percentage of the audience is simply listening to the analog translators. Since KXXY-HD2 doesn't simulcast on FM Translator, KTOK on a HD side channel doesn't show up since actual HD listening is more of a novelty with small market share of HD receivers compared to analog AM/FM radios in cars.

KOMA-HD 2 is 92.9 The Edge
    KRXO-HD2 is 104.5 KRXO Classic Rock
    KBRU-HD2 is 98.5 Spanish Patron

The reason Tyler Media and iHeartRadio broadcast in HD is simply to have more stations in the metro being fed by translators without going over the FCC rules for full power station limits in a single market.

I won't be surprised if FM stations eventually shut down and broadcast entirely from the Internet. The electricity bill to power a 100,000 watt station is surely more than the Internet service bill. The only thing keeping it from happening for now is that it costs listeners to get their music and talk from the Internet.
    I think the royalties for radio stations to stream music are comparable? While FM performance royalties currently are still low compared to the audience potential in a given market.

Additionally, there is still a huge in-car audience that does not have a smart dash or data plan to stream. Additionally, many larger companies block streaming sites to reduce overall bandwidth usage. While FM radio may seem dated, it still impacts a large population, much like OTA TV making a strong comeback with younger audiences who are "cord-nevers"

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    When I'm on my computer I'll listen to KXT out of Dallas (97.1) (kxt.org). Subscriber funded with few commercials. They play a wide range of music with some local Dallas music thrown in. You should give it a try.
    91.7 KXT is the best, I wish OKC had a radio station like that

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    91.7 KXT is the best, I wish OKC had a radio station like that
    For another wish, Oklahoma City needs a pirate FM radio station like the one in Stillwater that is on 24 hours a day, been so since at least 2016, and plays every kind of music you can imagine, country, jazz, rap, hard rock, Native American, old disco, symphony, soul, folk, Bollywood, and so on endlessly. There are no ads, not even any station IDs, Just totally awesome and then some. I have nothing to do with it.

For another wish, Oklahoma City needs a pirate FM radio station like the one in Stillwater that is on 24 hours a day, been so since at least 2016, and plays every kind of music you can imagine, country, jazz, rap, hard rock, Native American, old disco, symphony, soul, folk, Bollywood, and so on endlessly. There are no ads, not even any station IDs, Just totally awesome and then some. I have nothing to do with it.
    Is it low power? I'd like to try and catch that one. What freq?

Yes, it's low power and so can't quite make it to the nearest town with a listenable signal, Perkins, which is 10 miles away, much less make it to OKC. This station is very much a priceless, ad free local music treasure on the local FM radio dial!

Take the time to explore what's on your own local FM radio dial in case there is something out of the ordinary on there, other than folks timing their lighted Christmas decorations to a low power radio signal. If in downtown Stillwater at night until 11 pm, tune to 87.9 FM until Jan. 1 to hear how the lights lining the guy wires on a tower are being timed to music. Otherwise, underground radio stations are no different than the trees that fall in the forest. Nobody ever knows that happens unless there to hear it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/09/woul...-fm-radio.html

You are already seeing this start. FM talk stations are becoming more and more common and the music formats are increasingly appealing primarily to older audiences.

Is saving FM radio even possible? I still think FM has an "ease of use" advantage, it's always available, and isn't going to drain your data plan, but when you consider the commercials and the fact that the government requires explicit language be censored, it's easy to understand why streaming and satellite services are replacing FM radio.

I don't know if 104.1 Christmas programming is done locally or from a national HQ, but they should really consider some new holiday songs. KEXP and KBC in Seattle are killing it when it comes to fun Christmas songs. OKC has enough diverse music lovers to stop the Mariah Carey auto-play.

I've been a diehard NPR person since about 2004, I recently and accidentally started listening to the KATT morning show and it's really good if you're not in the mood to think. The commercials are pretty bad but the guys and gal running the show are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I don't know if 104.1 Christmas programming is done locally or from a national HQ, but they should really consider some new holiday songs. KEXP and KBC in Seattle are killing it when it comes to fun Christmas songs. OKC has enough diverse music lovers to stop the Mariah Carey auto-play.
    KMGL is programmed and owned locally by Tyler Media.

Four large groups/owners basically control the majority of the OKC Radio Market. iHeart, Cumulus, Tyler, and Perry Broadcasting. Two are national groups, two are locally owned.

As for KMGL and their Christmas playlist, it's pretty generic, but it gets played in area retail stores and fits into most 15 minute commutes. If you do listen to it continuously, there can be a high "burn-out" rate on the same music being played hour after hour. Other than a few new songs this year, the playlist probably is the same year after year because it has worked for them....and it's easy.

Since only 4 major owners in OKC Radio, there is little desire to compete when most formats have their defined audiences with maybe only one competitor in a similar format. (KJ vs Wild, Animal vs Franchise, Magic vs Kiss, Twister vs Jake, KXY vs Hank, KOMA vs Alice, KTOK vs KOKC, etc)

If you listen to OKC radio from 2004 and now in 2019, stations sound literally the same. Almost identical talent using the same jokes/bits, and even some stations still use the same jingles and voice over people.

Larger radio markets like Seattle with probably a longer commute time, and potentially more owners in the market can risk being more innovative with creative playlist and live personalities. They also probably have to invest more money in their sound and talent to gain market share.

Mid-Market radio, like OKC, is mostly pre-recorded by local talent or voiced generically by someone out of market.

Talk radio taking over on FM in other markets is done because of sound quality vs AM and its engaging radio compared to music. Live personalities having conversation over numerous topics from political to local issues. The same reason people love listening to podcast. If you want music, there are many other ways to get a continuous playlist with little to no interruptions.

94.7 KQSR set the standard for me for Christmas music back in the day. It does seem like KMGL over the past several years doesn't have quite the variety in its playlist.

More and more though that's how terrestrial radio is becoming. Tighter playlists and more syndication across markets.

Looks like IHeart went in yesterday and cleaned house at the radio stations, gone are:

Frito from KJ103
    Kathi Yeager from the Twister
    Tom Travis, Bill Reed and Shawn Carey from KXY
    Don't know if anybody from 94.7 the brew got the ax, I think it's mostly voicetrack except for JRod.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Looks like IHeart went in yesterday and cleaned house at the radio stations, gone are:

Frito from KJ103
    Don't know if anybody from 94.7 the brew got the ax, I think it's mostly voicetrack except for JRod.
    This is disappointing. Whether you listened to these particular personalities or not, they spent years (some decades) of their lives entertaining, informing, and most importantly being local in Oklahoma City. From toy drives, blood drives, Children's Miracle Network telethons, tornado relief fundraisers, these individuals cared about Oklahoma City and worked hard every day to impact lives in the metro.

Unfortunately, as Bill Reed from KXY put it, they were a "a victim of budget cuts." This was a nation wide impact and many medium size markets like Oklahoma City lost a lot of local air staff to usher in automation. Hopefully, the local owners of stations try to get some of these talented individuals to keep radio local.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post

Frito from KJ103
    iHeartMedia is slowly moving all of their stations to nationally-syndicated feeds. It wouldn't surprise me to if KJ103 becomes a simulcast of 102.7 KISS FM in Los Angeles. iHeartMedia has already taken most control away from the local stations anyways.

These days, it seems like radio isn't even trying to compete with streaming services. It's a shame because FM radio is and always will be more accessible. You can just turn it on and it works; no worries about data usage or dealing with buggy phone apps.

^

It's all about advertising revenues. Virtually the only source of income for radio.

And like newspapers, radio advertisers are moving in droves to digital platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's all about advertising revenues. Virtually the only source of income for radio.

And like newspapers, radio advertisers are moving in droves to digital platforms.
    I wish they wouldn't... I really hate having to listen or watch commercials on digital platforms that I pay for, i.e. YouTube TV. When we first got it the commercials were whatever were playing on the TV channel, now I see that more and more commercials are YouTube ads that are non-skippable... But I guess it was inevitable really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

How much longer are they are going to keep getting advertisers if they are selling a product that nobody wants? Eventually that advertising revenue is going to dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    How much longer are they are going to keep getting advertisers if they are selling a product that nobody wants? Eventually that advertising revenue is going to dry up.
    I don't know, but I would hate to see the electric bill after running a 100,000 watt FM radio station 24 hours a day every day.

Just read that Wild 104.9 has let go of the morning show crew and now airing a syndicated show in the mornings, guess it happen last week, heard that Bill Reed from KXY is now on Hank FM in the afternoons, glad that he got a job right quick after he was let go last week.

Thread Information