Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help okc tv show...

Default help okc tv show...

i can not find any reference to an old OKC tv show from around 1970-1974 . the show played old movies and was hosted by a young man and woman. a song was played at the beginning and it was claptons 'after midnight' which was released in 1970. the show was on saturday nights and probably at midnight (re the clapton song).

the couple would make jokes and talk about the movie. never saw this pair again on tv in OKC.

who were they and what was the name of the tv show....?!

Default Re: help okc tv show...

Maybe Dino Lalli (former entertainment and movie critic for a couple of local TV stations) was the male host?

both the hosts were probably early twenties and attractive and 'hip'. they had longer hair which for okc in the early 70's meant the guys hair touched his ear..LOL. i did a google on dino and he didnt look right?i need to find a screenshot from the actual show......

the guy looked like andy travis on wkrp and the girl looked like a blonde bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by hannahk View Post
    i can not find any reference to an old OKC tv show from around 1970-1974 . the show played old movies and was hosted by a young man and woman. a song was played at the beginning and it was claptons 'after midnight' which was released in 1970. the show was on saturday nights and probably at midnight (re the clapton song).

the couple would make jokes and talk about the movie. never saw this pair again on tv in OKC.

who were they and what was the name of the tv show....?!
    It was the Trust House jewelers store owners. They played After Midnight by E. Clapton. Showed off their rings and such during commercials. Think the store was located around Britton and May Ave. Jim & Gloria Berkey. There was also another Berkey brothers Jeweler.

https://newsok.com/article/2876904/l...-shops-in-city

trust house ...man is that a name out of the past..! i havent lived in okc for over 50 years. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It was the Trust House jewelers store owners. They played After Midnight by E. Clapton. Showed off their rings and such during commercials. Think the store was located around Britton and May Ave. Jim & Gloria Berkey. There was also another Berkey brothers Jeweler.

https://newsok.com/article/2876904/l...-shops-in-city
    I thought about too -- especially their fixation with turquoise jewelry -- but the description as a "young man and woman" doesn't fit at all. And I don't think they joked around, either.

They were older and stiff as I recall.

You can see one of their spots here (4th-5th one in):

I recall it might have been called "Trust House Theater"? Seems like they regularly featured jewelry custom designed by "Mr. ???" from some exotic location, like Florida or Mexico?

The Mr. had a Young Pretty Thang there for a bit. Then the Mrs. decided she was better for the part. I remember she would twist that blingy stuff so fast, side to side, you could barely focus on the Jewelry.

An interesting thing about the Berkey's, he drove a Rolls Royce that had a vanity tag that said "Glory be" and she drove an Excalibur (I think) with a vanity tag that said "O Mr B".
    C. T.

Yes in the early days of the Trust House theater Mr B had a younger nice looking blonde on the show with him. Don't think she lasted too long and then Miss B took over.

I know this is a tad bit off topic, but gave me the opportunity to ask about a past jeweler. It was across the street, south of Penn Square. My husband- to-be bought my wedding ring there in 1977. Does anyone remember the name of this jeweler?

I apologize that i was wrong in that location of the jewelry store. It was across from Shepherd Mall south of NW 23rd & Villa. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    An interesting thing about the Berkey's, he drove a Rolls Royce that had a vanity tag that said "Glory be" and she drove an Excalibur (I think) with a vanity tag that said "O Mr B".
    C. T.
    You're close. Gloria Berkey drove a Zimmer. Built on a late 1970s Cougar platform IIRC. They did a lot of business with Jackie Cooper at May & Britton, who sent them to us for some paint & body work from the late 1980s on. Mr. Berkey had a Walnut (brown metallic) Corniche convertible that he had us paint the inserts on the sides beige (we used a 1970s Mercedes-Benz color). We did some clean up and refreshing for Mrs. Berkey on the red Zimmer until 2002ish.

Cooper had a service department fellow who was contracted twice a year by the Berkey's to drive the Rolls to Florida in the late fall and bring it back to Oklahoma in the spring. Seems they would winter in Florida and had him drive the car down and open up the condo IIRC.

My husband remembers a young couple, a young man and a young woman, both medium brown colored hair. No blondes. They were there for 2 or 3 years then were gone. The old farts took their place and pretty much ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    I apologize that i was wrong in that location of the jewelry store. It was across from Shepherd Mall south of NW 23rd & Villa. Sorry about that.
    Treasures Incorporated. ... Mr. Kurt Lichter.

OKCRT,
    Yes, a very attractive young blonde and I think she was on the show for a year or two when Mrs. Berkey took over.
    C. T.

I'm beginning to think we are confusing two different shows. My memory is beginning to shake out a program on Saturday night on KOCO 5 that started at 12 or 12:30AM and was actually called "After Midnight". It was around 1972 and the couple were not the Berkey's. I think it was a couple years before the Berkey's moved to OKC.

The website is giving me some problems. I will proceed with my thoughts when it processes correctly.

I am having some technical difficulties with the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can see one of their spots here (4th-5th one in):

At about 6:40, doing the Safeway spot is Kerry Robertson, former Okc news anchor as well as Danny’s Day, and Discover Oklahoma co-host.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Treasures Incorporated. ... Mr. Kurt Lichter.
    Thank you rezman. That sounds like the name.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    At about 6:40, doing the Safeway spot is Kerry Robertson, former Okc news anchor as well as Danny’s Day, and Discover Oklahoma co-host.
    And Cliff Robertson's niece!

Just curious, It seems that features like the "Trust house investment jewelers" was always in a late night time slot in the pre digital days, when we still had sign offs. Does anyone know how much of the cost (movie royalty and transmitter bill) was actually offset by the advertising from such shows?

I am guessing the late night horror movies (think Count Gregore) were in a similar situation, Audience composed of night owls and small number, shows that just survived due to paid advertising. . . I'm guessing all the slots were taped

Was that the case, or was the audience size was large enough to make it worth the time and effort in such a late night time slot?

Thread Information