Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Patio Bar

Default Re: 401 NW 10th

It's still being worked on behind the scenes but I bet it moves at a snails pace.

I wonder if Kong's and this group are in trouble financially and that's why it's moving slowly.

Kong's Norman location got their liquor license suspended by the County and are closed until the situation is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I wonder if Kong's and this group are in trouble financially and that's why it's moving slowly.

Kong's Norman location got their liquor license suspended by the County and are closed until the situation is resolved.
    I interviewed the Norman City Clerk about this, as it was her office that suspended their liquor license last Friday.

Kong's in Norman is registered as a restaurant and they are required to document at least 35% of all sales coming from food. I was told they have not provided that documentation to the city and therefore they revoked their license pending a full audit.

They did not know how long that would take. Kong's closed by their own choice once the license was suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I interviewed the Norman City Clerk about this, as it was her office that suspended their liquor license last Friday.

Kong's in Norman is registered as a restaurant and they are required to document at least 35% of all sales coming from food. I was told they have not provided that documentation to the city and therefore they revoked their license pending a full audit.

They did not know how long that would take. Kong's closed by their own choice once the license was suspended.

Is this a Norman requirement or a campus corner requirement (or both)? I thought I had previously heard campus corner has some regulation on food/alcohol mix.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Is this a Norman requirement or a campus corner requirement (or both)? I thought I had previously heard campus corner has some regulation on food/alcohol mix.
    I'm not sure but the suspension was from the City of Norman, not ABLE.

I was told that if this can't be corrected, they would then have to apply for a bar license, which is a separate process. And given that Kong's has been cited multiple times for overcapacity and under-age drinking, that would seem to be a high hill for them to climb. The also started work on that space without a building permit and were shut down and the space was dormant for months until they could get the proper permits.

The same group is working on Nompton Social right next door which they are calling an 'ultra-chic lounge' but I believe it is also licensed as a restaurant.

Well, considering he's obtained financing for some of his past projects through Farmers bank...Hmm

The plot thickens...

The same group is working on Nompton Social right next door which they are calling an 'ultra-chic lounge' but I believe it is also licensed as a restaurant.
    Side note: This is the "Nompton" nickname equivalent in a movie scene:

I'm surprised any bank would touch him with his long rap sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I'm surprised any bank would touch him with his long rap sheet.
    You might want to read the Farmer's Bank thread on this site. That might answer your question. Shyon also had a fraud suit recently filed against him on a real estate scam with LRG properties who was recently featured on KFOR in a different real estate scam.

How do they make sure 35 percent of all sales comes from food? Will they just stop serving liquor if they can’t meet that requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How do they make sure 35 percent of all sales comes from food? Will they just stop serving liquor if they can’t meet that requirement?
    Towards the end of the month you can start offering specials to move certain products faster or move certain percentages around. Half off wings or appetizers is a good way to do it.

I'm not sure but the suspension was from the City of Norman, not ABLE.

I was told that if this can't be corrected, they would then have to apply for a bar license, which is a separate process. And given that Kong's has been cited multiple times for overcapacity and under-age drinking, that would seem to be a high hill for them to climb. The also started work on that space without a building permit and were shut down and the space was dormant for months until they could get the proper permits.

Well that's a pretty big deal. Back in the 90's the Campus Corner merchants and the city got together and created a grandfather clause, which basically stated going forward anything had to be a restaurant. I think the only places still around that would be protected under that clause would be The Deli and Suger's. I would imagine the other merchants like 747, Voltare, etc. probably ratted these guys out to the city.

Back to the subject of this thread, demo work has started.

From https://www.instagram.com/skventuregroup/:

From this morning:

Being such a prominent corner, lets hope they put a little more effort into the build out than the rest of their concepts.

Related to the topic of this thread, but concerning the previous tenant: Any word on whether or not Prototek OKC landed on it's feet anywhere else? Their social media seems to be dead, so it looks unlikely... It's a shame. I think (but I'm not certain) that leaves OKC without a makerspace. Prototek didn't really take full advantage of the space, so I'm excited to see a higher and better use for this corner... but I hope it didn't completely kill them off.

Blog Entries

Some former prototek guys have started a makerspace called Co-laboratory for any orphaned makers out there...

http://colab-ok.com/

Blog Entries

I rode by this the other day and was impressed, it's turning out much better than I imagined it could, having been inside it.

Okie Kush (dispensary) is now open and the rest of the building is moving along.

Is the original bar plan still happening? A friend of mine said that whole building was going to be a dispensary and I was like I am 99% sure you are misinformed haha.

Thread Information